GC Rescue Package..... Should This Be The Last Time Ever For Anyone & Everyone ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Or that some supporters can't seem to fathom what "National" should mean.

You’re just conflating two unrelated points here. As far as my post goes, it doesn’t matter whether it’s two Vic clubs, a Qld vs WA club, whatever pairing you like; it doesn’t matter if the game is played at the G’ every year or rotated around the capitals. It’s just not relevant to the point I was making.

Really? Why is that?

I would have thought that opinion more than fair.

How much money and how much time should we be giving them?

The AFL set-up and support is in no way comparable to the Gold Coast Blaze, Gold Coast United and most of the other Gold Coast sporting teams set up in the 80's or early 90's which were truly amateur projects at best..

The AFL clearly under-resourced the team with the initial set up. The club itself definitely made some missteps along the way, but was basically set-up for failure with the initial build - facilities and key staff. Further investment was needed. With a proper head in Evans + more off-field investment for welfare / development etc. over the past 2 years or so, an actual observer can clearly see the systems are now in place to achieve on-field success.

The investment made by the AFL however, is minimal in comparison with the potential returns for the coast to become an 'AFL region'. The progress made on this front are honestly mind blowing given the piss poor onfield performance to date. So many more kids and adults playing AFL in SEQLD / Northern Rivers since inception. With the tide turning, this will only improve. Not only does that bring more fans to the game + with them money, it has a huge impact on the talent pool available to be drafted, thereby increasing the quality of the whole competition down the line.

There is zero chance the AFL is giving up on the region, because they can see the value in a professional side there, and to be frank I can't believe that everyone doesn't as well.

They should do what GWS do. Demand high picks for stars and then replace them with a star at the draft.

From the 'stars' that have gone we got

- Lynch - got us rankine
- May - got us King
- Bennell - got us Fiorini
- O'Meara - got us Bowes + a 2nd rounder which Clayton traded to himself at West Coast for essentially nothing.

Fails
- Prestia - got us scrimshaw - fail pick from the outset.
- Martin - could have played out differently
- Caddy - apparently we were offered Hooker + a pick swap? would have been massive for us - should have taken. I think the pick we got from Geelong ended up being Jarrod Garlett.

We've just never had the same number of quality players as they do. Their 17 year old pre-draftees were guns, we had no one good available really. Trading Treloar and Shiel (who they got for free) netted them 4 first rounders. This has just compounded to more and more

GC: Mckenzie, Matera, Shaw, Russell, Flanagan, Nicholls, Weller, Toy, Keath, Hutchins, Hine, Jolly - Matera and Keath the only guys to really go on to become quality players

Others available which we didn't take: Brodie Smith (ouch), Ben Jacobs, Jordan Murdoch, Aaron Mullett - hardly move the needle

GWS: Jeremy Cameron, Dylan Shiel, Adam Treloar, Jack Hombsch, Nathan Wilson, Bugg, Darley, Golds, Tunbridge, Ugle, Harding

Others available: Hamling, Newness, Ellis Yolmen, Michael Talia, Sam Kerridge, Jackson Merrett.

Well it'll definitely be GC's last.

Unless a team gets as bad as Fitroy/University having 1-2+ seasons that are winless and sub 40%, I don't believe they need it/deserve a care package.

What I did like was last time North were struggling, the AFL said either fix yourselves up or move to GC. Probably the way the game should be headed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But the AFL handing out money to the struggling Vic clubs to keep them afloat should keep going right?

Yeah, they should just give us our cut for being ****ed over for 20 years paying off their $1.5bn asset.

Why comment if you are a clueless bogan?

What is it about West Coast supporters and being complete knobs?

Tell me another business in the world that attracts 15000-30000 people and due to a contract they were forced to sign, don’t make a single cent of profit in fact in almost all cases they have to write a cheque for that privilege?

We paid off their asset, they owe each of us 100s of millions of dollars (North, Dogs, Saints and Blues) so why don’t you go and get your head out of your ass.

You can't blame GC when the AFL set them up for failure. They simply tried to get away with doing a budget job and it's backfired so yeah this assistance is needed to get them onto the level playing field the OP is referring to (this ISNT turning them into a generational powerhouse).

So no, you can't say never do it again.

But what you CAN do is look at some clubs who have employed some thoroughly weak people off field who have ****ed their clubs finances or lists for several years and the club sat on their hands - its those clubs who should be cut off.

Case in point Carlton and SOS. He murdered their list for the last few years and their recruiting team murdered several picks they didn't deserve. It's good to see them finally cut off.

Agree that no one deserves an advantage. It’s still farcical that it’s in Melbourne every year. The sooner it’s changed do a neutral venue the sooner we can look back at how stupid it is ala interstate sides playing home finals in Victoria and the old final 8 system.
That was the primary reason Waverley was built/expanded right? But that all went to s**t.

Right now the GF is at the most neutral ground. The issue with rotating the venue is that there's only a few stadiums with a large enough capacity. And where do you draw the line? What happens if it's a Richmond Collingwood GF and the venue allocation is at the 42k capacity Gabba?

You can't blame GC when the AFL set them up for failure. They simply tried to get away with doing a budget job and it's backfired so yeah this assistance is needed to get them onto the level playing field the OP is referring to (this ISNT turning them into a generational powerhouse).

So no, you can't say never do it again.

But what you CAN do is look at some clubs who have employed some thoroughly weak people off field who have f’ed their clubs finances or lists for several years and the club sat on their hands - its those clubs who should be cut off.

Case in point Carlton and SOS. He murdered their list for the last few years and their recruiting team murdered several picks they didn't deserve. It's good to see them finally cut off.
What players are murdering our team and what picks didn't we deserve in the last couple of years?

It is heavily implied. If you are not trying to link the two then why mention the previous Gold Coast sports teams.
Because it doesn't promote confidence does it?

If you read my posts instead of making up words, you may see that i said i want them to have a chance.

But go on, call me a 5 year old again, but i think we all can see who threw the toys out of the cot.

Priority picks should only be given to teams who meet a certain criteria. Or don't offer them at all.

The AFL are a farce. Fancy distributing picks at your own discretion.

Academies are compromising drafts. To a lesser extent so are F/S.

How about the first round just be picks 1 to 18. That would be ideal. 18 teams one pick each.

AFarceL

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back