Autopsy GC Suns V Roos - Rd 2, 2021

Agenda 21

Club Legend
Mar 9, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Was out tonight and just watched on delay.

Our skills are putrid. ******* putrid.

We need to pull a gun key forward out of our arse. We've got no presence down there at all.

You know you're struggling when your best players are all from the backline.

Young talent wise we are miles off Gold Coast, probably 3 drafts worth.

It's going to be a long year.

Logan McDonald?

dimo

Senior List
Jun 28, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
At least we fought it out. Young, Bonar, Corr, McKay all good, backline is gelling pretty well.

Midfield balance is off, need Cunnington obviously but missing Dumont more than most realise. Jed close to our most important player, Powell and Lazzaro great signs. Anyone else think Bailey Scott isn’t quite tracking as we’d hoped? Maybe being too harsh. Want him to stay invoked though - he really drifts out of games.

Simpkin disappointing so far this year. Not Stevos day, nor Polecs.LDU solid enough.

Turner is a gem, I do not give a fu** what anyone says, if you don’t rate what he brings you know fu** all about football. Walker tries but needs to be phased out. TT building nicely.

At least we fought it out I guess. Hard to watch at times but what can we do but trust the process?
Turner a gem? hasn’t improved since 2014 final!

Agenda 21

Club Legend
Mar 9, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
i-am-the-a9b05d3ce7.jpg

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think people need to calm down with the vitriol, 2021 and 2022 is going to suck dick, if you can't deal with it then switch off because your posts writing off everyone is just going to make for comedy gold in the future.

You can't just throw a bunch of players together and expect them to gel overnight, especially when you change up the game plan to play very differently, we have had a perfect storm of losing players, injuries and rebuilding. We would probably be a lot more competitive with Cunnington, Anderson and Dumont all in the side after having strong pre-seasons but that isn't our reality. Lower rotations also hurts us a lot as are moves to make it harder to defend.

Half the side on the park atm is likely not going to be with the club in 3 years time, the list is going to evolve. We are probably going to get a look at a couple more really top end players. What is going to determine if our rebuild is shorter or longer depends on how much gold we can get from those outside of the first round. If we get nothing from Will Walker, Xerri, Taylor, Scott, Comben, Mahony, Perez, Lazzaro, Spicer and Ford then it is going to take us longer.

I'd like us to be more competitive, but it is important we play a brand of footy that will one day allow us to contend rather than play a Scott brand of footy that saw us exit finals every year humiliated. There is still going to be a lot of change over the next few years, the lack of leadership and class on-field is coming home to roost, all the young sides that are looking good now looked hopeless a few years ago, GC even got priority picks they were so sh*t... but our PF final sides routinely came here and lost comfortably, so if you are expecting this side to do a lot better then your grasp on reality is as loose as our foot skills atm.

Agreed.

If people can't handle this, the door's that way. You were all warned for a good 3 years that this was coming, welcome to the suck. Last year wasn't even the real beginning of it.

This list hasn't even begun to truly flip, there's still a third of it filled with players that are on borrowed time.

I'll stick fat to North until my dying breath, we'll come good. This was the right thing to do, we'll get there. Just look across and say to yourselves "Thank * we're not as rudderless as Essendon is"

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Interesting post match interview. Basically said the effort/energy for the first half just wasn't good enough, and that what caused the turn around in the third wasn't the positional changes he made but mostly just the players putting the effort in.

Of note Mahoney was again mentioned by name as one of those promising young developing players, a fact which will probably give a few blokes here an aneurism. He also went out of his way to compliment JZ on being a tough bastard and coming back on, and then at the end of the presser some big (and completely unprompted by the media) compliments for Jed to which some nuffy said "Yeah we probably should have mentioned the positives".

There was a good comparison made to his time at Brisbane. Reporter commented that we don't look nearly as uncompetitive as Brisbane did in those days. When asked if it was comparable in terms of just looking for small gains Noble surprised me a bit with how emphatic he was on us trying to win. The vibe I've gotten from him most of the time is his emphasis on learning and sticking to the gameplan, so it was nice to hear.

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bonar, Young, Powell, Lazzaro all positive.

Corr is a solid pick up. Jed in the clinches was a lone hand. Turner has limitations but can't ever query him cracking in - some of his colleagues could learn a thing or two from it.

Not playing night footy in QLD again also a positive. Going to be a rough year, but positives to be found in this group
Logan McDonald?
Bit late👎

chubbspeterson

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thought they tried hard in the 3rd to get back into the game. People have short memories, we got flogged by over 100 in Scott early years by seasoned Lyon's saints, Malthouse Pies and Clarko's Hawks.
I think GC were pretty good and looked massive compared to our guys across the board. Felt like they had average age 25 year olds and 50 gamers all over the park. Kinda showed our expeienced guys are not all that talented in comparison to GC.
Jed was awesome. TT and Bonar showing some good signs. Simpkin I think tries way to hard to make something happen when the simplest thing might be the best thing for the team. Lazzaro and Powell showing good signs early.
Not many levers we can pull except Cunners and Phillips. Xerri perhaps an option up forward to help out Larkey.
Polec, Tyson, Turner and Atley will hopefully have some young guys go ahead of them long term but for now they're all we've got until the young guys are ready. Interesting seeing Zurhaar off half back and in the middle. Noble certainly not afraid to have a look at guys in different positions.

It’s hard to just blame the performance on the rebuild when the kids played fine and it was senior players in Atley, Tyson, Polec who were terrible.

The 2018 offseason where we hunted Gaff and instead landed Polec, Hall, Tyson and Campbell is going to bite us on the ass for years.
Brad and Joyce royally ****ed us and the fact both we’re gone not even 6 months after signing those players was unforgivable. Catastrophic trading.
Disastrous list management.
Call it what you want but both can * right off.

I was thinking of Brads tenure and can only think what a wasted 10 years it was.
Just shithouse.

If there is effort I’m ok, but there wasn’t and I’m glad Noble said as much in his presser.
Game style will take time, skills will take time for the young players along with strength and fitness.
Older players need to step up and take responsibility and be leaders.
We are in for some hurt, but give me some glimpses each week.
Forward line severely needs help or we will struggle to kick a winning score.
There is a big picture story we would be stupid to take short cuts.

Blow off your steam but saddle up again next week

Dirty_11

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 28, 2014
Beneath the Blue & White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Shinboners
The AFL is all about protecting its players, yet schedules night games on the Gold Coast where it’s that slippery blokes are likely to do knees and ankles trying to turn on an ice rink.
The AFL is run by a bunch of muppets.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Intothewind

Team Captain
Jan 1, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Saw some improvement from last week, and some improvement during the game (more intensity in the third, more composure in the fourth)

It's bloody hard to watch. I'm so friggin drained from looking for positives during the game that as soon as the siren goes I can't switch it off quick enough.

They just look like a team learning a new system and trying hard to stick with it, even while the results are awful. If we stick at it and keep improving I still think we'll win a few games in the second half of the season.

I'm looking forward to next week, but trying to shake the feeling of not wanting to go to the ground.

Would be bad for the club if the crowd is really poor. I guess the most practical thing we can do for our club right now is turn up.

If we get a record crowd during this period it will shove it right back in the face of all those hovering vultures.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

schimma_20

Team Captain
Mar 8, 2001
north melb,vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Logan McDonald?
I don’t post much but this has sent me over the edge. We get rid of Brown,the best tall forward in the land is there to be picked and we take a midfielder. We are supposed to be rebuilding you rebuild around big forwards. Seriously we are stuffed as we haven’t got a recruiting staff who have any idea of what they’re doing.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
It’s hard to just blame the performance on the rebuild when the kids played fine and it was senior players in Atley, Tyson, Polec who were terrible.

The 2018 offseason where we hunted Gaff and instead landed Polec, Hall, Tyson and Campbell is going to bite us on the ass for years.
Brad and Joyce royally f’ed us and the fact both we’re gone not even 6 months after signing those players was unforgivable. Catastrophic trading.
Disastrous list management.
Call it what you want but both can fu** right off.

I was thinking of Brads tenure and can only think what a wasted 10 years it was.
Just shithouse.
I can live with Scotts up to the end of 2015.

But when the cliff appeared mid way through 2016 and we went looking for...

Kelly

Dusty

Gaff

..as one player panaceas to flaws all over the List, I now have to think thanks very much for the mess we are in by being so narrow minded.

Chris Scotts is doing the same thing atm.

Can you believe wat Dusty would be thinking about his decision?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The troubling thing about last nights match is that there's so little that can be taken out of it.

We really do need to apply to the AFL to not have any Qld matches in the first 6 rounds of the season. These are terrible conditions for football.

Apr 29, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Majority of us were calling for a rebuild.

We’re TWO games in!

This is part and parcel of an early rebuild! I get it’s hard (real hard) to watch but hang in there folks! I for one had had a gutful of being in no man’s land!

Bring on the early draft picks and hope like hell our recruiting team are up to the challenge!

And don’t bother reading or watching any media football related content this year! It will make for a much more pleasant year!

Last edited:
May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
Majority of us were calling for a rebuild.

We’re TWO games in!

This is part and parcel of an early rebuild! I get it’s hard (real hard) to watch but hang in there folks! I for one had had a gutful of being in no man’s land!

Bring on the early draft picks and hope like hell our recruiting team are up to the challenge!

And don’t bother reading or watching any media football related content this year! It will make for a much pleasant year!
Indeed.
The next few years will be hard. This is going to be the least competitive we've been in 50 years. Short term pain for long term gain.
However, it's a boom or bust approach and it totally relies on the recruiters making the most of the best draft capital we've ever had.
The worry is that we get it wrong and no one knows for sure.
There are already positive signs but also some worrying ones.
We can only hope.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Indeed.
The next few years will be hard. This is going to be the least competitive we've been in 50 years. Short term pain for long term gain.
However, it's a boom or bust approach and it totally relies on the recruiters making the most of the best draft capital we've ever had.
The worry is that we get it wrong and no one knows for sure.
There are already positive signs but also some worrying ones.
We can only hope.

Will the club survive it?!

They cut the list too deeply too quickly.

Back