Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit harsh on our lads. We brought it right up to the Crows for 95% of the game in a hostile environment and only lost it in the last 5 minutes after snatching the lead in the 4th quarter. The Titans were never ahead today and essentially got belted in the second half in front of a small crowd at a neutral venue. I'm not sure the two results are really comparable.

Let's see how our guys go against Carlton at home before we start calling them irrelevant.

Ive declared both Titans v Newcastle and Suns v Carlton next weekend as MINI GF games.
It’s a massive weekend for GC/Tweed Footy Fans.
Both teams have to get it done and everyone that can get to the games need to be there and be very loud and desperate.

Bit harsh on our lads. We brought it right up to the Crows for 95% of the game in a hostile environment and only lost it in the last 5 minutes after snatching the lead in the 4th quarter. The Titans were never ahead today and essentially got belted in the second half in front of a small crowd at a neutral venue. I'm not sure the two results are really comparable.

Let's see how our guys go against Carlton at home before we start calling them irrelevant.
If bods was harsh on the suns then this was way harsher on the Titans. The Titans never got belted, a 16 point loss isnt really a belting. The reason the Titans were so lost for most of that game was because both of their best halves (undoubtedly the most important positions in RL) are now both injured with Jamal Fogarty whos also the co-captain nursing a corked quad and ultimately came off the field early in the 2nd half.

Dont get me wrong I love my Suns but there's definitely a gap between them and the Titans in terms of competitiveness, Titans are challenging the top teams now with a healthy team now whereas the suns are realistically going to be in an uphill battle to get into the top 8. Having said that The Titans and Suns win their respective games this week with a 100% healthy list

If bods was harsh on the suns then this was way harsher on the Titans. The Titans never got belted, a 16 point loss isnt really a belting. The reason the Titans were so lost for most of that game was because both of their best halves (undoubtedly the most important positions in RL) are now both injured with Jamal Fogarty whos also the co-captain nursing a corked quad and ultimately came off the field early in the 2nd half.

Dont get me wrong I love my Suns but there's definitely a gap between them and the Titans in terms of competitiveness, Titans are challenging the top teams now with a healthy team now whereas the suns are realistically going to be in an uphill battle to get into the top 8. Having said that The Titans and Suns win their respective games this week with a 100% healthy list
First of all, I stated they were belted in the second half, not the entire match. Secondly, it depends on your definition of "belting". The Raiders scored 12 points to 0 in the second half which is the equivalent of 3 tries to none. In my books that's not a close half in rugby league.

Considering rugby league is a lower scoring game in general, a 16 point margin in the NRL would probably be akin to a 35-40 point margin in the AFL. Would you consider a 35-40 point loss a belting in the AFL? It's certainly not a close result.

If we're going to start comparing injuries and using them as an excuse then have a look at ours. We've lost our best midfielder, our only healthy ruckman, our second best key forward and our best small defender in a matter of three weeks!

Are the Titans actually challenging the top teams though? They were beaten pretty comprehensively by the Warriors in round 1 and they aren't a top 8 team (at least at the moment), then they beat the Broncos who were last year's wooden spooners and don't look much better this year, then they smacked the Cowboys who look like a bottom 4 team again this year and then they lost to Canberra today and the Raiders are the only top 8 team they've faced so far this year. They play Newcastle next week who may or may not be in the top 8 depending on tomorrow's results.

I don't think it's accurate at all to state the Titans are "challenging the top teams" when all they've done this year is beat the poor performing Broncos and Cowboys. Show me some real results against actual top teams like the Rabbitohs, Panthers or Storm. Then I'll agree with you that they are challenging the top teams. Until then, it's all just preseason media hype.

Should be interesting to see how many show up to either game on the Gold Coast today. The Titans are playing at Robina in about 15 minutes. There's a long held theory out there that neither GC team can pull a big crowd when both are playing on the same day but it's never really been accurately measured as to how much crossover there is between the two sports. I know there are people who attend both like Mr Bods but we don't really know whether it's 50 people, 500 people or 5000 people.

I suspect both games will pull around 16k tonight but I've been way off before so don't bet on it 😂

Should be interesting to see how many show up to either game on the Gold Coast today. The Titans are playing at Robina in about 15 minutes. There's a long held theory out there that neither GC team can pull a big crowd when both are playing on the same day but it's never really been accurately measured as to how much crossover there is between the two sports. I know there are people who attend both like Mr Bods but we don't really know whether it's 50 people, 500 people or 5000 people.

I suspect both games will pull around 16k tonight but I've been way off before so don't bet on it 😂

I sent an email off on Wednesday and got this reply

Thank you for your email.
As of this morning we were sitting at 11,220 members so far for season 2021.

I think with only just over 11k, we'll struggle to get anywhere near 16k....

Lovely win by the Titans. Will have a scotch now.
Its a strange feeling when both GC play on the same day and one wins and one loses.
12,492 for the Titans game at Robina.
11,618 for the Suns game at Carrara.
I sent an email off on Wednesday and got this reply

Thank you for your email.
As of this morning we were sitting at 11,220 members so far for season 2021.

I think with only just over 11k, we'll struggle to get anywhere near 16k....
Metricon still seems to be running well below full capacity these days. I noticed every second row in the first tier was empty tonight. So the stadium capacity would be well below 25k at the moment.

12,492 for the Titans game at Robina.
11,618 for the Suns game at Carrara.

Metricon still seems to be running well below full capacity these days. I noticed every second row in the first tier was empty tonight. So the stadium capacity would be well below 25k at the moment.
If it wasn’t for Away club fans, the stadium would be empty

I went for the first time last night and had a different and positive experience.

The ground is easy to get to, easy to get away from after the game, plenty of buses.
Great viewing angle from where I was, good service when getting drinks, etc

All the support staff were nice and friendly.

The gear in the shop is way to expensive though.

80 dollars for a suns training t shirt?

Really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Titans just got belted 36-0 by the 15th placed Sea Eagles. Very hard to get a read on this team and where they are heading this season.

I was thinking about it last night and wondering why rugby league didn't completely take over the Gold Coast in the same way Aussie rules did with Geelong and it dawned on me that the main reason was that no Gold Coast team was permitted into the top level Brisbane Rugby League back in the day, unlike Geelong who were let into the VFL early on. Same goes for the NSWRL who let the Canberra Raiders into their competition in the 80s and you see the result now where it has a good following in the ACT. I'd guess the Gold Coast would be a lot more rugby league inclined had a local team been let into the BRL before the mid-80s but that never happened then the Bears were let into the VFL/AFL and by then it was too late for rugby league to dominate the Gold Coast.

I’m down in the dumps tonight
That one hurt me
Rough one for the Titans. Extra salt in the wound that the main architect in their loss tonight was a local Keebra Park product.

As I said last week, I really can't get a read on this Titans team. They haven't beaten any teams currently sitting inside the top 8 and two of their three victories this season have come against bottom 4 teams.

You'd want a strong performance against the Broncos next week to stay in touch with the top 8.

Rough one for the Titans. Extra salt in the wound that the main architect in their loss tonight was a local Keebra Park product.

As I said last week, I really can't get a read on this Titans team. They haven't beaten any teams currently sitting inside the top 8 and two of their three victories this season have come against bottom 4 teams.

You'd want a strong performance against the Broncos next week to stay in touch with the top 8.

you mean “we”?

Interesting to see how the South East QLD sporting landscape will change now that it's all but been confirmed that a new Brisbane franchise will enter the NRL in 2023. I would have thought we would be the SEQ team least affected by this because Brisbane teams (Broncos, Lions, Reds etc) now have more competition in the winter months and the Titans have to compete with another rugby league rugby franchise that will be located within a reasonable driving distance of their market. Obviously the existing Titans fans in the northern Gold Coast/Logan area are most susceptible to making the switch just from a convenience perspective.

IMO we're least likely to be affected because we're in a different market and we're offering a different product BUT I'm sure we won't get off completely scot free. All teams will be affected and securing funding/local media coverage could a struggle going forward.

Interesting to see how the South East QLD sporting landscape will change now that it's all but been confirmed that a new Brisbane franchise will enter the NRL in 2023. I would have thought we would be the SEQ team least affected by this because Brisbane teams (Broncos, Lions, Reds etc) now have more competition in the winter months and the Titans have to compete with another rugby league rugby franchise that will be located within a reasonable driving distance of their market. Obviously the existing Titans fans in the northern Gold Coast/Logan area are most susceptible to making the switch just from a convenience perspective.

IMO we're least likely to be affected because we're in a different market and we're offering a different product BUT I'm sure we won't get off completely scot free. All teams will be affected and securing funding/local media coverage could a struggle going forward.

Best thing that can happen is if the new Brisbane Club is Redcliffe.

Best thing that can happen is if the new Brisbane Club is Redcliffe.
Are you looking at it from a Gold Coast perspective or a growth of rugby league perspective? I was under the impression that west Brisbane/Ipswich was the frontrunner to become the new Brisbane franchise.

What do you even say about the Titans' loss tonight? Came in as the big favourites as the 7th placed team in the NRL against a struggling 15th placed Brisbane outfit, had a 22-0 lead early on and then conceded 36 points in a row to become the opponents in the Broncos' biggest ever comeback win. Like I've said before in this thread, I can't really get a read on where the Titans are right now. A lot of the media penciled them in for finals this year before the season started but tonight's loss raises a lot of questions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back