Game Day GC v Freo 27th June Round 4

Remove this Banner Ad

We got beaten around the stoppages, clear & simple. Halve those we win the game. Is it Anthony Rock the stoppage coach? If so, seriously move him on & get a technical coach in. Rock has no idea, basic structures, particularly defensively have been ignored.

Serong was responsible for 2-3 howlers at various stoppages, but keep him there to learn & adjust & Walters needs to stop collapsing around the contest which leaves us one short.

They got their hands on it first & defensively we were slow to react. Far too aggressive with our stoppage set up when we knew we were going to lose the hit outs & never adjusted during the game.

Ethan Hughes intensity was outstanding & Jesse looked more like it. Young constantly went back with the flight of the ball & we need to do everything we can to keep him long term.

Griffin Logue is going to be a jet as third man up for years to come & would make a great wingmen. Forwards looked dangerous at times, but getting smashed at stoppages meant slow inside 50’s & big packs.

Again Matera, Shultz & Colyer should not be in the same team. Conca needs a different role, he’s not Heath Shaw Jlo, Shill can play that role.

Enjoyed the passion tonight & the tactic to make Rowley earn every possession, backfired a bit because he’s a freak, but great idea to try.

Trending up no doubt.
We’re dragging along passengers. Playing Matera/Schulz and Colyer. That’s just coaching suicide. I’d rather McCarthy as a medium lead up winger. And one of those three playing. But it’s ironing out those that are AFL quality and those that are not.
Blakely comes in and earns his spot. Valente will get a chance. Suddenly only Bewley is left most likely with the mature agers. That’s Ross’ picks. jlo wants his own list imprinted, and it’s clear he’s making those earn it or leave.

The sad thing is even with some encouraging performances by Young and Serong finals is a long long way away, btw how many years left on Fyfes contract ? I’m worried this could be his last at Freo and who could blame him.
No one is going to offer Fyfe max money by the time he’s 30. He ll have played 200 games, bashed and crashed. Unless they want an elite forward, which he should go back to in his rookie days.

If I was to look at the stats, there were 3 glaring areas where we got obliterated.
  1. Hit outs
  2. clearances both around the ground and centre bounce.
  3. tackles inside 50.
the most experienced part of our team is getting its arse spanked. All this talk about Colyer, Bewley, Matera ain’t going to fix the first two
Fyfe is now out, so we have to change it. Blakely has to play.
We must play a ruck, whether that’s Darcy or Meek I don’t care. Lobb is getting smashed about and he’s not winning anything.

Shift Walters back forward and continue to play midfielders. We’re actually efficient going inside forward 50. It’s just not getting in there. That is a midfield problem. Fyfe had 11 possessions when he went off injured. One goal in the run of 5 in the second came direct from Lobb getting belted in the ruck. Witts hit the ball forward and Miller pushed Fyfe too easily under the ball...Darcy would at least stop that ball squeezing out.

having said that, Colyer, Matera, Schultz would still be on thin ice...I’d play Crowden, Frederick, and Watson for Wilson. His effort tonight was unforgivable.
Lobb's rucking is utter crap. He cant jump into them or over them. But Darcy isnt the answer. Against Brissie we didnt get going until after he got injured and Lobb went into the ruck. Darcy cant get off the ground. And when he did he hurt his knee. I dont think his body is upto it unfortunatley.

Any idea how Meek goes? We have to start winning some taps cause our clearance work is trash.

Darcy should come in, as Lobb was beaten by O'Brien last time we played Adelaide, and I see they've named Frampton this week as the back up, so 2nd ruck shouldn't be a job for Taberner.

Of the small forwards, Shultz seems to have the largest roaming role and comes up the ground to contest at half back, but his ball use the last two games has been less than 50% and he has missed targets with his kicks that have been costly in transition. Colyer has pace - but find some other forward with decent pace - at this point Serong, Frederick, Crowden seem better forward options. Matera, the same - has shown in the past that he can kick 3,4,5 goals in a game but has started with 6,7 & 4 disposals in his 3 games thus far in 2020 which are the worse he's had since playing for Fremantle and all time lows in consecutive games. Its a raffle to pick which one of these three might stay in, and that's only because I don't think we'll drop all three, and the other reason is that a small forward might benefit from having the Lobb, Taberner, Hogan combo next week. Ah, feck it! Drop all 3.

Walters could maybe spend a bit more time forward than in the midfield. Conca could maybe be used to spend some more time in the midfield than defence, because he's had two bad weeks in a row making the kind of errors that a leader shouldn't.

Blakely should come in. Acres was supposedly one more week away at last selection - can he play back, because he'll be one of the few that has some height?

IN: Darcy, Blakely, Acres, Frederick
OUT: Shultz, Colyer, Fyfe, Matera

Bewley, Conca lucky to stay in.

Wilson Logue Ryan
Aish Hughes Young
Cerra Blakely Hill
Walters Hogan Brayshaw
Lobb Taberner Serong

Darcy Mundy Tucker

Frederick, Acres, Conca, Bewley

Last edited:
So if we sort out the midfield we’d level up?
I think the numbers suggest Salim is right, looking at the midfield more generally than just clearances.

Our points for and points against are not terrible. We won the i50 against Brisbane by 1 but have lost the i50 in all other games, against Port and Gold Coast by a considerable margin. This suggests to me both our forwards and forward structures, and our defence and defence structures are doing Ok.

We won the clearances against Brisbane by 3, lost the clearances in other matches, again vs Port and Gold Coast losing badly.

Fyfe’s clearance numbers are down, I guess because he is being used differently.

It is around the ball we need to step up and give our forwards and defenders a fair go.

I think the numbers suggest Salim is right, looking at the midfield more generally than just clearances.

Our points for and points against are not terrible. We won the i50 against Brisbane by 1 but have lost the i50 in all other games, against Port and Gold Coast by a considerable margin. This suggests to me both our forwards and forward structures, and our defence and defence structures are doing Ok.

We won the clearances against Brisbane by 3, lost the clearances in other matches, again vs Port and Gold Coast losing badly.

Fyfe’s clearance numbers are down, I guess because he is being used differently.

It is around the ball we need to step up and give our forwards and defenders a fair go.

the midfield with our best and most experienced players is getting obliterated.

Fyfe had 11 possessions and Walters finished with 15.

and it feels like the mix of players is slightly off because of injury largely.

but also Cerra and Brayshaw aren’t improving much.
Woukd love Frederick to play. He’s different to all our other options.

I fear we will never win a premiership

Genuinely, so many things that could end civilisation as we know it before the dockers win a flag. I personally think that as the sun heads into solar maximum in 5 or so years we are due for a direct hit from a solar flare that will wipe out all electronics and end, among other things, the AFL. Last time it happened with 1859 before technology was completey integrated in our lives.
Please win a flag by 2025 freo

I enjoyed the game. If we're playing/training in Perth I'd say we have a win by now. I don't think we're as bad as some of the early 2000s teams.

The worst thing about the game for me is how ordinary Brayshaw is playing. It's like the games passed him by already. Wilson is super disappointing as well. I wonder if certain players just aren't coping with living in s**t hole Queensland.

Will be good with fyfe out.
Responsibility will change.
No more fyfe watching...
Time to change it up & see who wants to rise..
I love fyfe but he does not get others involved..

This is definitely an opportunity to see who can step up in the middle. Please chaps, will someone stand up?

We lost the game last night when we conceded 5 straight goals, 2 of them in a minute. Before and after that I thought we played reasonably well. Unfortunately we seem to be making a habit of giving our opponents the luxury of a reasonably easy scoring patch before closing the game down to regroup.

Hogan's dummy spit when the ball wasn't kicked to him was p*ss poor. It's not as if he was killing it at the time so bad luck Jesse just get on with it.

Matera is our best goal kicking option of the smalls if he plays close enough to goal. Once he gets out of goal kicking range he is a liability. Bewley is a better option for any position than Shultz or Collier.

Lobb is being wasted as our first ruckman but there appears to be limited other options. If Darcy is fit enough he should play and Lobb could play as a forward and do the boundary throw ins inside the forward 50.

We must stop drafting and trading in injured or injury prone players who appear to be bargains because they have an underlying problem and once that problem is fixed they will be bargains. Hogan, Valente, Sturt, McCarthy and Liam Henry are all players who seem to fall into that category to me. Our S&C is so poor we can't rely on fixing problems the way Hawthorn do for instance.

Young showed plenty last night and Serong did well for his first game. Good effort by Logue too I thought.

You’d think Rock and Carr would be all over our stoppage work but oppositions are all getting there 10mins to absolutely obliterate us in that area. Why? Is it the personnel in there during this time? Are we being sucked in to a method by opposition coaches and not realising or adjusting?

I recall last week I think it was SPP being interviewed after the game and he paid high praise to their scouting coach for his work in giving them a clear plan on how to beat us and mentioned that our game plan relies heavily around winning stoppages.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We must stop drafting and trading in injured or injury prone players who appear to be bargains because they have an underlying problem and once that problem is fixed they will be bargains. Hogan, Valente, Sturt, McCarthy and Liam Henry are all players who seem to fall into that category to me. Our S&C is so poor we can't rely on fixing problems the way Hawthorn do for instance.
Add Switta to that list. I couldn't agree with you more.

You’d think Rock and Carr would be all over our stoppage work but oppositions are all getting there 10mins to absolutely obliterate us in that area. Why? Is it the personnel in there during this time? Are we being sucked in to a method by opposition coaches and not realising or adjusting?

I recall last week I think it was SPP being interviewed after the game and he paid high praise to their scouting coach for his work in giving them a clear plan on how to beat us and mentioned that our game plan relies heavily around winning stoppages.
Basically Collingwoods game plan couldn’t be that hard to work out, except they have better cattle.

We really need to identify one of those 2nd/3rd choice ruckmen at another club who are ready to thrive when given the chance to lead the ruck.

One of those Mumford/Martin/etc types who were undervalued until stepping out of someone's shadow and being given the responsibility of #1 ruck after moving clubs.

Genuinely, so many things that could end civilisation as we know it before the dockers win a flag. I personally think that as the sun heads into solar maximum in 5 or so years we are due for a direct hit from a solar flare that will wipe out all electronics and end, among other things, the AFL. Last time it happened with 1859 before technology was completey integrated in our lives.
Please win a flag by 2025 freo
IIRC, we get a fair bit of notice (days perhaps or at least hours) before those events. Will allow us to protect a lot of our electronics.

the midfield with our best and most experienced players is getting obliterated.

Fyfe had 11 possessions and Walters finished with 15.

and it feels like the mix of players is slightly off because of injury largely.

but also Cerra and Brayshaw aren’t improving much.
Woukd love Frederick to play. He’s different to all our other options.
Some of Cerra's 1%'s were excellent.

Watching the third and we’re bedevilled by basic skill errors.
schultz turns the ball over twice, Serong smashes in and wins the contest gets the ball out for Wilson to * up the d 50 exit.
tucker over kicks by ten metres leading to a turnover, and as good as Tabs and Hogan have been, Taberner dropped two forward 50 marks and Hogan one, all of which should’ve been shots on goal

If you've forgotten how much you knew, then how would you know you knew more than Taylor?
There are a lot of hidden gems in Taylor's posts. A good level of knowledge, coupled with a particularly feminine sort of pithy passive aggressiveness that can sometimes make you completely unaware you've just had your face slapped.
I'd certainly rather read them than... well, without naming names, a few others around here. God, the continual ******* whining. I liked the old Freo supporters better. When we genuinely were sh*t, there were still a few good things to talk about without dwelling on the crap too much.

I was devastated they shut down the women's season, because we were doing well in a proper (AFLW version, at any rate) football environment. I was beginning to look forward to watching them, after a period of doubt and indifference. To see the women's team take out Freo's first premiership would have been something pretty special, I think. That, I'm pissed about.

But as far as the men's comp goes, this, to me, is just a series of scratch matches in a manufactured environment, with manufactured crowd noise and shortened quarters. And Margetts. I'd rather we got nowhere near the premiership this "season"... it'd just be embarrassing. And we'd never live it down, our first premiership in history having an asterisk next to it. fu** that.

You can use the word excuses, or you can use the word reasons. Your call.
It's not a season to get upset about.
I would disagree with you on this one. If freo were 3-1 or 2-2 and we somehow won this 2020 flag, I wouldnt care about the asterisk.

Watching the third and we’re bedevilled by basic skill errors.
schultz turns the ball over twice, Serong smashes in and wins the contest gets the ball out for Wilson to fu** up the d 50 exit.
tucker over kicks by ten metres leading to a turnover, and as good as Tabs and Hogan have been, Taberner dropped two forward 50 marks and Hogan one, all of which should’ve been shots on goal
Apart from the midfield, this is the other big issue. Simple mistakes that make all of the good work come undone. Brayshaw had a few too.
Overall our play was good, but it's easy to find the moments where it wasn't.

We really need to identify one of those 2nd/3rd choice ruckmen at another club who are ready to thrive when given the chance to lead the ruck.

One of those Mumford/Martin/etc types who were undervalued until stepping out of someone's shadow and being given the responsibility of #1 ruck after moving clubs.
We did that before in getting Jon Griffin. He was ok for us. Who do you reckon fits the bill?

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back