Game Day GC v Freo 27th June Round 4

Remove this Banner Ad

We are four games into a new game plan.

Welcome to the reality of changing coach during a rebuild

How long is this rebuild going to take?
So you're saying changing a coach in the middle of a rebuild was the wrong move?
What is the game plan, a question that was asked ad nauseam during the last tenure.?

I’m not sure if I’m watching the same game as people defending Colyer. Im legitimately shocked if he takes the ball cleanly.

I have to re-watch the game to understand where the fu** he was playing the first half. Not one centre bounce.

I agree with you on his disposal, it has been much better but if JL isn’t playing him in the middle there isn’t much point.
HFF pretty sure. Just not his go for mine. Stick him in the guts. He is good at getting first hands to the ball. He is cleaner now just needs to get the ball off quicker - like Mick Barlow in his early years. Often when in the middle you will see him get the ball and then be set upon by an avalanche of opposition.

How long is this rebuild going to take?
So you're saying changing a coach in the middle of a rebuild was the wrong move?
What is the game plan, a question that was asked ad nauseam during the last tenure.?
Changing coach in the middle of a rebuild is usually a good way of extending the rebuild.

The game plan will be about player positioning and ball movement patterns, you notice now how Ryan was playing skinny side last season and fat side this season.

Evidently you forgot the part where a young team with a new game plan performing away against quality opposition is actually better than standard.

WTF are you on about? On exposed form this rebuild is an absolute failure. And we aren't young, this week alone there are at least six teams younger than us, one of them rolled the premier today

WTF are you on about? On exposed form this rebuild is an absolute failure. And we aren't young, this week alone there are at least six teams younger than us, one of them rolled the premier today
I’d say we’re tracking in the right direction. Doesn’t take much for things to click. Forgetting that the team’s living out of a ******* hotel room the last 3 weeks? That gets old after 3 days. Pull ya head in.

I’d say we’re tracking in the right direction. Doesn’t take much for things to click. Forgetting that the team’s living out of a ******* hotel room the last 3 weeks? That gets old after 3 days. Pull ya head in.

It impacts a team. I think WC will be better at home as it has impacted them massively.

It doesn't help that some of our best players including key backs are injured.

So where are we really at my fellow sufferers. Key points in short for me
1) We are much better than the 0-4 column suggests IMO

2) This was always going to be a tough year with a new coach and lots of reliance on kids, to add to which, we will have not one home game after 7 rounds. That is unprecedented adversary.

3) Our injury list is once again diabolical.

4) We have little experience and of the experience we do have, two KPDs are injured, Mundy is now cooked by the looks and aside from Walters and Fyfe, the rest don’t do enough, or are underdone through injury (Hogan, Hill, Wilson)

5) Our lack of depth is killing us. Our best 22 has enough talent at the moment but it drops away real real quick after that and the bottom 6 are killing us most weeks Schultz, Colyer, Brewly, Matera

6) We have a timing issue where the two players who are by far and away our most important players and pivotal to our success have an age gap to the players below them making it an awkward success timing window.

7) To me, the skills have improved and the gameplan works well when it works but is clearly a work in progress

8) Being a Freo supporter is tough ******* work

Last edited:
Changing coach in the middle of a rebuild is usually a good way of extending the rebuild.

The game plan will be about player positioning and ball movement patterns, you notice now how Ryan was playing skinny side last season and fat side this season.

If the game plan revolves around the midfield getting smashed and Ryan playing fat side instead of skinny side and not having any effect on the play well goody gumdrops.

Cop out.

2) This was always going to be a tough year with a new coach and lots of reliance on kids, to add to which, we will have not one home game after 7 rounds. That is unprecedented adversary.
4) We have little experience and of the experience we do have, two KPDs are injured, Mundy is now cooked by the looks and aside from Walters and Fyfe, the rest don’t do enough, or are underdone through injury (Hogan, Hill, Wilson)
5) Our lack of depth is killing us. Our best 22 has enough talent at the moment but it drops away real real quick after that and the bottom 6 are killing us most weeks Schultz, Colyer, Brewly, Matera
6) We have a timing issue where the two players who are by far and away our most important players and pivotal to our success have an age gap to the players below them making it an awkward success timing window.
7) To me, the skills have improved and the gameplan works well when it works but is clearly a work in progress

What I don't ******* get is how Carlton is 2-2, and how Gold Coast are 3-1 with more depth then we have. Getting eclipsed by teams that were in a worse spot than us last year.

We're better than 0-4, and there's various excuses for that including the hub (Carlton in a better knick getting to play Melbourne and Gold Coast obviously get a leg-up with 4 home games for the season to start,) injury, bad luck, etc. But it is starting to get worrying and we can thank our lucky stars that the fishbowl will be looking closer at WC this week.

I'm definitely in the more positive camp after that game. I saw glimpses of better ball movement, I liked the way we moved the ball at times. For instance the chain which involved young and Schultz in the first quarter, one of the easy goals we haven't been scoring for a while. Few quick points I really liked:

Loved the togetherness the players showed in the biff at half time.

Young looks a real player

Servings last quarter

Lounge and Ryan really stepped up in a tough defense assignment

The fight the team continued to show with no talls down back and the talisman captain going down.

Finally just a really good game of footy

It’s never as good and never as bad as you think mate.
Believe me. Losses hurt. Narrow losses hurt much much more.

You know one type of Narrow loss that hurts the most? Having a narrow defeat in a grand final.

Now imagine if our team finished top of the ladder. Win the home QF and win the Home Prelim. Its all roses.

then comes the grand final. A quiet confidence. Imagine losing a grand final by under a goal.... All that fight, all that hard work wasted because you lost a grand final by under a goal. You leave empty handed.

I am not even a Phoenix suns fan in the NBA. but one of my favourite NBA players of all time was Charles Barkley.

Amazing player, wonderful power forward. He wins the 1992-3 NBA mvp, its the eqivalent of the brownlow medal.

Suns were best team of the west. In the NBA finals, Charles Barkley suns face the best team of the East: the Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and Phil Jackson coached chicago bulls, Who won the last 2 NBA titles.

For the record.... Suns had the better regular season record. So they had the home ground Advantage. So in the 7 game series, its 2 home games to the suns, 3 for the bulls then 2 to the suns if needed.

Suns start the finals series in the worst possible way: Lose both of the opening home games. Bulls lead 2-0. The suns lose 100-92 in game 1 and lose 101-98 in game 2 despite charles barkley scoring 42 points and getting 13 rebounds despite having a bad back and an injured elbow.

So comes the bulls 3 home games. Suns won game 3 129-121 in a triple over time win in chicago. Bulls win game 4 111-105. Bulls could seal the title with 5 games in chicago but lost 108-98.

So comes that game 6 of the 1993 finals. Bulls did well for 3 quarters but struggled in the final quarter. Bulls were down 98-96. Jordan didnt score the winning shot. John Paxson scored the match winning 3 pointer with 3.9 seconds to go. Suns had a time out.

Kevin Johnson for the suns tried to get the match winner, but Horace grant blocks it.

So the bulls win a 3 peat in 1991-3. Charles barkley doesnt play another NBA finals series. Barkley reitres without an NBA championship ring.

So you are wondering why I wrote this. Suns had a good jersey at the time and they wore purple.

That John Paxson 3 point winning shot reminded me of Cyril rioli sealing our fate in that infamous 2015 prelim final. Hawks did a repeat in 2013-15 too. Hell.... Fyfe won a brownlow in 2015 as well.

Point is, we wont win a flag. We need to be lucky or good, we are neither.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Four games in, injuries to key players, a squad with little depth and players that make dumb decisions and when they do make a good decision can't hit a target. It's early days.

What I don't ******* get is how Carlton is 2-2, and how Gold Coast are 3-1 with more depth then we have. Getting eclipsed by teams that were in a worse spot than us last year.

We're better than 0-4, and there's various excuses for that including the hub (Carlton in a better knick getting to play Melbourne and Gold Coast obviously get a leg-up with 4 home games for the season to start,) injury, bad luck, etc. But it is starting to get worrying and we can thank our lucky stars that the fishbowl will be looking closer at WC this week.

What are Carlton and GC’s injury lists like?

You guys are really looking through rose coloured glasses if you think our performances so far this season have been positive. We are so far off the pace and tonight was further evidence of that. We had the unfortunate situation of getting two top five picks in a garbage draft during our rebuild and it shows, compounded by horrendous drafting, horrendous player development and horrendous trading and recruiting. We are in year zero of another rebuild and if you think otherwise you’re deluding yourself.

It is what it is..."excuse" isn't though, there are only accurate or less accurate explanations. Teams are more likely to lose playing away, that's a statistical fact. It just so happens that we've done it against mostly form teams also. It is a worry what a fun of (close) losses does to moral and much needed confidence, but should Hogan and Lobb hit their straps (and hopefully the coming weeks may give them breathing space to do so) it'll may be enough to tip the scales.

You guys are really looking through rose coloured glasses if you think our performances so far this season have been positive. We are so far off the pace and tonight was further evidence of that. We had the unfortunate situation of getting two top five picks in a garbage draft during our rebuild and it shows, compounded by horrendous drafting, horrendous player development and horrendous trading and recruiting. We are in year zero of another rebuild and if you think otherwise you’re deluding yourself.
Quoting this for future lols.

Well, we're pretty s**t. Obvious caveats given we're playing with a new coach, without our best defenders/a ruckman, away from home in a hub. Still...it's a depressingly familiar position on the ladder to be in.

I have my doubts we'll see tangible, sustained improvement until important facets like our player development, drafting and injury management improve. So no biggie really.

In saying that, JL has a thankless task trying to overcome these issues and put a side together than can consistently win games of football. It's incredibly rough to be making judgements about his quality as a coach under the current circumstances.

I think I’ve had a gutful, it’s too hard and the people in power continuously stuff it up. Rosich, Bell, etc
The messiah complex has been consistent since the start

Same. How do you think we’re going in year 5 of the rebuild?
Not great and I think that the re-stump rubbish in the first couple of years didn't help. In my opinion part of the reason we got rid of Lyon is the club felt we further away than Ross was prepared to admit and that was was reason we got rid. On the positive side I like the young midfield group we have and think when on the park the spine is good.

If the game plan worked well we wouldn't be 0/4
Explain the game plan please.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back