Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Maybe I am, incremental improvement no doubt

I meant as in breakout years but maybe I’m just fed up and expect too much
Whew, take a breath and then breathe out! Thank Christ that's over. In 60 years of watching, playing, managing and supporting footy, I don't think I've suffered a more depressing or poor season all around.

Not going to say too much but some light needs to be shed on our recruiters, coaches and of course players. I struggle to find 10 players who could play elsewhere and like other posters on here am waiting ever so patiently for the likes of Ainsworth, Bowes, Fiorini etc to show some BIG improvement. Sam Wash in his first year shows more than these guys.

I don't want to suck on sour Lemmens for much longer and hope we can build a side that actually has some body, some grunt, some power and some winning success in the years to come - although I don't have too many left!

We may need to trade some of these future champions, you hear me Touk, to gain some of what we need. Massive grants from AFL have to happen or that crowd of 7,500 last night will become the norm.

On that note, our supporters are pathetic really. How many found other things to do rather than go to the last game of the year, see off Rischa (embarrassing to see how many (or few) even stayed to watch him off.

Last but not least. I actually enjoyed watching the NEAFL boys more than the A's. They seem to have found a game plan and look great when going good...and yesterday they were.

I could go on and on but won't. I need to try and forget the Suns for a few months and hopefully come back revitalised and confident that we can win at least 6 games in 2020 - not that hard, surely?

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Maybe I am, incremental improvement no doubt

I meant as in breakout years but maybe I’m just fed up and expect too much
They say it’s generally the 4th season when you have the tank & strength to run out a full game in the midfield.
We have a Bowes who more than matched Fyfe, Cripps, Macrae for first halves early in the season and looked like a future A grader.
Ainsworth copped a nasty knee injury round 1 and struggled at times to throw injuries. I was concerned about his development but last night he put those fears to bed. 27 possessions, 15 contested (most on the ground) and looked like he had more time than usual. Best game I’ve seen him play.
I thought Brodie was a massive bust. But to his credit he has gone back to the NEAFL worked hard on his game and I have to eat my words after watching him against Carlton. Looked every bit a future gun inside mid.
All 3 of these boys are coming up to their 4th pre season and they should break out in 2020.
Fiorini pretty much missed his whole first season and is in the same boat. He’s a kid getting tagged after 35 games.
Powell will surprise many next year. Clean hands and can use it.
Add Rankine, Jezz coming through, Budarick, Rowell etc and we will be fine.
Riordan will be a steal too in time.

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
They say it’s generally the 4th season when you have the tank & strength to run out a full game in the midfield.
We have a Bowes who more than matched Fyfe, Cripps, Macrae for first halves early in the season and looked like a future A grader.
Ainsworth copped a nasty knee injury round 1 and struggled at times to throw injuries. I was concerned about his development but last night he put those fears to bed. 27 possessions, 15 contested (most on the ground) and looked like he had more time than usual. Best game I’ve seen him play.
I thought Brodie was a massive bust. But to his credit he has gone back to the NEAFL worked hard on his game and I have to eat my words after watching him against Carlton. Looked every bit a future gun inside mid.
All 3 of these boys are coming up to their 4th pre season and they should break out in 2020.
Fiorini pretty much missed his whole first season and is in the same boat. He’s a kid getting tagged after 35 games.
Powell will surprise many next year. Clean hands and can use it.
Add Rankine, Jezz coming through, Budarick, Rowell etc and we will be fine.
Riordan will be a steal too in time.
Not confident on King and Luko?

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I was only really talking about mids.
If they both stay this year I’m confident they stay long term.
They’ll both be A graders no doubt.
I think they'll definitely stay in 2020 unless we do some sort of trade with Crows etc and HOPE you're right.
2 or 3 genuine A graders with many of these young kids + Rowell etc should be a foundation BUT we have to retain or will keep dwelling down the bottom. Luko is not a defender - he's a forward and Dew sometimes seems to be dogmatic even when things are pretty clear. I think him playing doen back shows we also definitely need another big defender. Collins is great, Thompson can lock down a big forward, Ballard will be a good player but then we need that intercept marker or flashy rebound defender to compliment them all. Harbrow played better last night but his window is rapidly closing so need a replacement there as well. Hanley seems to cop a bit but had more of the ball than most in defence - just needs some calm and extra experience around him - also last days though. Mid is our absolute weakness but I really think we need some depth down back as injuries this year have shown.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Corkie has a point.

Ashes is on, FIBA World Cup starts next week, European Soccer's just started, College Football starts today (Shoutout SUNS and his Gators), NFL kicks off in two weeks, Baseballs still got a month left before playoffs (Unless you happen to be an Orioles supporter 🤬)

It's a great time to be a sports fan in this internet connected world of ours. Get out there and watch some non footy sports you like or maybe pick up one you never gave a fair chance.

Come back to footy during trade week/draft time and I promise you'll be refreshed and ready to go on this crazy roller-coaster ride again.

Who's with me!?
Now that I have Kayo, can you recommend me a couple of good NFL teams to choose from BRM? Many years ago I casually chose the Cincinnati Bengals because I liked the design of their helmet but it hasn’t been happy sailing since. They’ve got so many teams over there, a second side to follow mightn’t be a bad thing.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I woke up today really happy that I went to the games yesterday to support the club, players as they need it. The most disappointing part was to arrive home after midnight trying to warm up my frozen body and reading some of these ridiculous comments here during the game time. I guess some people lose it too when the team lose 18 games in a row. I wanted to stop contributing to this side but then I prefer to add a bit different perfective than to read mostly negative/ridiculous comments.

NEAFL
Rankine had as expected some magic moments. He also showed he was not ready for AFL physically as he struggled as the game went on. Interestingly, umpires did not like him on several occasions and it was quite funny to see Rankine letting them know about it.

Alex Davis is smooth as. He should turn out a very good players for us.

To see Wigg as a runner 6 months from ACL surprised me.

AFL
Ironically, this was the best crowd for me. No double agents with Suns lanyards supporting oppositions. Only true Suns fans, not angry with players, supporting the team in tough time. Some were great characters. Fans cheered the last goal like we won.

The game was microcosm of Suns season. The bright future in 2nd quarter when Suns dominated yet could not score. The absolute low in the 3rd after Suns came within 10 points only to concede next 11 goals. The last goal of the season by King was glimpse of our future.

GWS were ripe for picking in the first half as their confidence was shaky after two previous bad performances. So this is the team who was one of the favourites to win it all playing against Suns decimated by injuries, with no confidence whatsoever after losing 17 games in a row and yet Suns played better footy in the first half except kicking goals.

The most touching was for me to stand above the tunnel watching players interact with fans after taking the photo and then walk trough the tunnel. All players were great, including Martin. Rischitelli was the last one to leave. King's parents were there too.

Some of these players criticisms are ridiculous. Watching Macpherson barely dragging himself through the tunnel gives you some perspective how tough the season was with a lot of players playing under duress.

Lukosius - yes, he was cooked as he played all games bar one. To suggests that he is a disappointment is shocking even in the heat of moment.

Yes, Miller was ordinary, that first turnover - crowd just gasped. Yet, he had 3 very good games before that. He bleeds Suns, how he interacted with fans was fantastic.

Ainsworth, Bowes - after long lay off they improved again. How some people can't see that is unbelieavable.

Watching the game in the stadium, for me the best player beside Witts was Sexton. He would be a star on a good team in Melbourne.

A lot of people here bag Nicholls. I personally, was not his big fan either. But watching him to support young players in NEAFL and then thanking fans personally for coming in and their support was touching. Tom, you are a great person, all the best.

There is a lot to look forward for next season.

Last edited:

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
I went into the season expecting us to struggle, and we did.

The two main reasons were a midfield with no A graders yet (let alone any one elite) and a lot of young players who are best 22 and a handful more who need to play. Honestly, if someone said we would win 3 games and get close to a few more, I would have said we over-acheived.

The Demons finished 17th but have Gawn, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw and a bunch pf players who won finals last year.
The Blues finished 16th but have Cripps and Walsh, plus some older mids who can still play in Murphy and Curnow.

Our current midfield is starting a fair way behind even those 2 bottom of the ladder teams. And we get slaughtered by midfields with both depth and quality.

To breakeven we need plenty of internal growth in the midfield (Bowes and Brodie need to double jump a level next year) and some good draft picks. Neither are guaranteed, especially given our history. But if we can breakeven in the midfield for longer in games and in more games, we will be better.

I get the angst and disappointment, but if you started the year supporting the Suns and the path they are on I just don't understand how you can finish the year and not give that a pass mark.

It is certainly a pass for me, especially after the draft fell the way it did and we did not have access to Walsh or Smith.

I would rather be focused on another off-season of development and training, a review of our injuries and injury prevention program, and retaining any good young players we do have at just above market rate.

...of course, if we don't get these next couple of years right......doom and gloom by supporters will be the least of it.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Tom is not an AFL level ruckman but he has been the best ruckman in every NEAFL game I've seen - having someone like that to give our youngsters first use in the 2's is very valuable.

I would keep him too.
I'd look at one of Freo's surplus of ruckman - Scott Jones / Lloyd Meek. I don't know much about them but - they're only 23 and 21 years old respectively. Would be good to have a developing ruckman on the list now that Crossley is likely to be barred.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
I think Tom Nicholls is great
I hope he gets another rookie contract at least
I would absolutely love for Tommy to stick around. Love him. Would much rather he stay than Smith come back.

Back