Review GC vs West Coast round 11 @Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Leslie has came so far in a short time. Those weeks with no May or Rory when he needed to take the number 1 defender he didn't look like he had it, time with May and continuity in the ones has done him the world of good. He's developed confidence, taking intercept marks. Glad he's had his chance, and taken it.

Leslie has came so far in a short time. Those weeks with no May or Rory when he needed to take the number 1 defender he didn't look like he had it, time with May and continuity in the ones has done him the world of good. He's developed confidence, taking intercept marks. Glad he's had his chance, and taken it.

Maybe this bloke is half decent

Defensive Coach - Andy Lovell

15.Andy.Lovell.jpg

Leslie's intercept mark late to lead to Wright's winning goal, was a massive reason for the win. He pushed off I think Darling and marked infront of Cripps. We then went forward and Wright kicked the winner. He looks really confident down there now

Not a draftee knocking post but what was the scouting report on Will Brodie?
What were we hoping for?
An elite mid, linebreaking half back or forward?
Haven't seen anything special from him yet other than specially bad hair
At least 3 of his touches/fumbles yesterday directly led to WCE goals

What were we hoping for?
He's an inside mid.. he's obviously finding it tough to get into the flow of the game. I think he's taken Scheers position as that high half forward. Scheer struggled in that same position, as they are both inside mids

He's an inside mid.. he's obviously finding it tough to get into the flow of the game. I think he's taken Scheers position as that high half forward. Scheer struggled in that same position, as they are both inside mids
Thanks
That's what I thought
Struggling with clean hands and disposal at the moment
Probably needs another pre-season
Certainly not ready made like say Clayton Oliver

Thanks
That's what I thought
Struggling with clean hands and disposal at the moment
Probably needs another pre-season
Certainly not ready made like say Clayton Oliver
Bit hard to compare. Oliver in his second year, he struggled at times last year. Normally the second year blues come in but he has taken his game to the next level..
Brodie will come good! Give him time

I think he will come good, was at the bottom of a few packs yesterday, layed a few tackles... hopefully he gets a game where he can finish with around 20 touches and get some confidence.

All the draftees seem to lack any genuine pace though... except for Ainsworth. Could just be a fitness thing??? but all quite slow....

All the draftees seem to lack any genuine pace though... except for Ainsworth. Could just be a fitness thing??? but all quite slow....
I'd give it another pre-season before making a judgement

I think the four picks have bright futures ahead. Ainsworth has been the stand out so far but he was always the most AFL ready.
Brodie is a hard nut, who loves getting the contested footy and thats an area where we've really struggled over the last couple of years.
Bowes is a very smooth mover but still has a few things to work on and from what i've seen from Scrimshaw in the NEAFL, i've been quite impressed.
They all lack some match fitness but that will come after a few pre-seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's been a lot of talk about Lemmens, Brodie and Joyce in our post game review.....

However what about Jack Martin???
I thought he was terrible yesterday, not even sure if he wanted to be out there he was so bad.

Am I alone on this?

What were we hoping for?
If you remember Cripps' first few games at afl in his first season he looked like a dud. When you play a high contested-possession winning brand of footy as an 18 year old it's going to take a while to A) gain confidence playing in the AFL and B) bulk up so you actually win the contest against bigger, older players.
Will start hitting his straps in 2018 or 2019 IMO after a few more preseasons

What were we hoping for?

Here is a scouting report on all the draftees that I read last week that I found useful

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/quigleys-2016-draft-rankings.1152444/

For Brodie I particularly liked the comparison to Barlow and how it took him a while to get to get to the player who dominated as soon as he came into the league but was a 22 y/o at the time and wasn't even drafted for 2-3 years

Well I am here to bare my ass and say I was 100% wrong about Jack Leslie, I cannot believe how far he has come in the last two games. Most on here said he would take time to mature and you guys were right, Andy Lovell and Ash Prescott told me the same thing and I am amazed at how much future promise he know shows, clearly e has rising confidence and being around May is helping dramatically - look out when he completely figures out how to use his size, what a one grab mark he is too very impressive.
My other amazement was Rocket putting Lemmens up forward boy does he show some promise as a fast crumbing forward much more opportunity there than relying on him at half back I think
Jack Martin looks slow or injured but he is constantly slowing play down just isn't himself at the moment, the more I see Sexton too the more I like him just always seems to get it on the boot off one step and gets us into attack and puts the oppo under pressure
Lyons getting a lot of the ball now just needs to be a bit more dangerous with his disposal and offloads but think he is coming good
Hanley is about to break out and start owning games I think he was just about to really start breaking lines on the weekend just didn't quite back himself with run and carry just made sure he chipped it to team mates, he is not far away though

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back