Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2002
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Read an interesting comment re GC17 and their choice of colours and lack of a logo.

Point was made that their colours could easily be adapted for the Dogs, Roos or Dees and that the lack of a mascot made it easy to adopt the moniker of say, the Gold Coast Kangaroos.

Makes you wonder cos it makes a lot of sense and the AFL only has to turn off the pipe to one of these clubs and it is good night. Doing it would let Tassie in.

Nah cos they have already set aside plans for draft concessions and already allowed them to sign youngsters up already, would be to unfair to add this to an already complete AFL list

Not really, if that list is going to be North or Melbourne.

Besides the AFL will want GC to be strong from the start.

Brisbane Bears existed before they raped Fitzroy at the AFL's beheast. They had some rules re who they could take and how many.

I just find it very odd that they don't have or want a mascot as the mascot is normally a huge marketing tool, especially for kids. I also believe Vlad is a great hater and North spurned him and I reckon he wants revenge.

Brisbane Bears existed before they raped Fitzroy at the AFL's beheast. They had some rules re who they could take and how many.

I just find it very odd that they don't have or want a mascot as the mascot is normally a huge marketing tool, especially for kids. I also believe Vlad is a great hater and North spurned him and I reckon he wants revenge.

The mascot thing is a huge beat up IMO. They have said that they want the public to choose a mascot and then it will be made the mascot. They have 2 seasons before they join the AFL for this to happen. Better than making one themselves and winding up with Power or Dockers

This actually crossed my mind as soon as I heard the initial announcement that they were going to create these teams.. glad i'm not the only one.

I would think that it's a factor of many things.
1. Probably trying to make the club using a similar recipe as West Coast (unambiguous name) in order to replicate WCE's success
2. They ideally needed to expand into the Rugby states asap, and
3. If any of the Melb clubs end up dying a horrible death, the option is open for a Fitzroy type merger.

Killing multiple birds with one stone.

Read an interesting comment re GC17 and their choice of colours and lack of a logo.

Point was made that their colours could easily be adapted for the Dogs, Roos or Dees and that the lack of a mascot made it easy to adopt the moniker of say, the Gold Coast Kangaroos.

Makes you wonder cos it makes a lot of sense and the AFL only has to turn off the pipe to one of these clubs and it is good night. Doing it would let Tassie in.

Rubbish, they have a logo and a name.

This was done by Toronto when they entered the MLS, no nickname, they've allowed the fans to decide it themselves.

Why is it so hard to grasp?

Brisbane Bears existed before they raped Fitzroy at the AFL's beheast.

All clubs were appraised of the merger conditions before they made the final decision as to which club Fitzroy was to merge with in 1996. Which merger did your club vote in favor of?

North-Fitzroy or Brisbane-Fitzroy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was with mates when the GCFC no mascot was announced and we were all saying how stupid that was and kids need a mascot to identify with........But it all makes sense now!!!

This actually crossed my mind as soon as I heard the initial announcement that they were going to create these teams.. glad i'm not the only one.

I would think that it's a factor of many things.
1. Probably trying to make the club using a similar recipe as West Coast (unambiguous name) in order to replicate WCE's success
2. They ideally needed to expand into the Rugby states asap, and
3. If any of the Melb clubs end up dying a horrible death, the option is open for a Sydney type merger.

Killing multiple birds with one stone.

Sydney merger?, when did this hppen?

you mean rape of fitzroy....dont you?

Dont know so much about a conspiracy theory per se, but it would be incredibly smart for the AFL to have a succession plan and to have said to GC17, we will grant you a licence but you need to be prepared in the future that we may have to relocate a AFL side here. It keeps the AFL with an ace up there sleeve if

A) there is no improvement for a melbourne side in 4-5 years; and
B) it worked for Fitzroy - and can quickly add culture and history to a side if the GC17 does not work on its own.

I think it is incredibly smart by the AFL - it is only protecting its interest, and the same will be done with West Sydney Im sure (if the crowd in last nights game is anything to go on, it will be in trouble sooner rather than later if it is not instantly successful)

Dont know so much about a conspiracy theory per se, but it would be incredibly smart for the AFL to have a succession plan and to have said to GC17, we will grant you a licence but you need to be prepared in the future that we may have to relocate a AFL side here. It keeps the AFL with an ace up there sleeve if

A) there is no improvement for a melbourne side in 4-5 years; and
B) it worked for Fitzroy - and can quickly add culture and history to a side if the GC17 does not work on its own.

I think it is incredibly smart by the AFL - it is only protecting its interest, and the same will be done with West Sydney Im sure (if the crowd in last nights game is anything to go on, it will be in trouble sooner rather than later if it is not instantly successful)

Brilliant move by the AFL...
Could it be the Gold Coast Demonroodogs?

Nope, it's all bullshit.

The colours are a direct match for the official ones adopted by the Gold Coast City Council (sun, sea and white sand) as a result of their tourism strategies of the last decade, with the addition of red which would be there for flexibility when it comes to clash jumpers (most of the teams have added an extra colour to their official ones for this, especially if they only had 2 to begin with), and to avoid accusations from the more simple minded that the team is merely ripping off the Titans. Just wait until the soccer team is up and about, and you'll see these colours appear there too. Newcastle's sporting teams all run out in red and blue, or in the case of the soccer, it's the logo.

No name? Seems kind of appropriate to me - they've made what many of us think they'll be anyway, actually official! But the return on the suggested names didn't produce a clear winner, and we all know this team without the huge AFL concessions will need all the help it can get, especially in the area of "public ownership" of the team. The Titans are league, Qld's dominant sport, and don't have to worry about this anywhere near as much - Searle can be a private owner style CEO in the knowledge that the public will lap up his team and their multi-million dollar brand new stadium anyway. And GC17 has still given the public a nudge - they want the team to identify with the beach and lifeguards (blue sea, white sand, yellow sun and red lifeguard caps), but they haven't come out and actually said it...it'll happen though...I'm thinking the team might get the names "Ironmen", "Irons", or "Guards"...maybe another will pop up that means the same thing...if there's a conspiracy here, this is probably it!

As for the "deliberate match" with targetted Melbourne sides - by that logic, and in case it's escaped anyone's notice, EVERY Melbourne side has one or more of these colours...as well as all the interstaters...noone's safe!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back