Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
GC-17.com.au - Saturday said:
GC17 Hit 20,000

The Gold Coast wants an AFL team - 20,000 supporters say so! The Gold Coast wants its very own Australian Football League team according to the local community.

20,000 committed supporters have registered their details with GC 17, the Gold Coast’s bid for a 17th team in the AFL. By reaching the number the Bid has met one of the key targets set down by the AFL with two months still to go before the team delivers its formal licence application to the AFL.

read more...

Looks like they are well on the way another milestone reached.

Supposedly Port Power have a couple of hundred thousand supporters. Can the GC turn this number into memberships and bums on seats though?

If this figure was pre-sold memberships, they'd be hitting the ground running.

I wonder how many of them were actually GC'ers? I signed it, although I won't buy membership or attend games, Still will be good to see the GC represented in another competition.

I wonder how many of them were actually GC'ers? I signed it, although I won't buy membership or attend games, Still will be good to see the GC represented in another competition.

What's this? AFL fans abusing statistics to make their sport appear more popular than it is?

Well that's a first:rolleyes:

Wouldn't suprise me if half North Melbourne and the other clubs on death sentences signed this to save their own skin

It was reported that 80 businesses had already paid 3 grand a pop. What was their target, 110 wasn't it?

111 apparently. 10 major sponsors. 100 minor sponsors. And 1 super-major sponsor.

I was at a GC17 function last week and they said they were very happy with the 80 something businesses they had signed. - That could've been a positive spin, but that figure seemed pretty good to me. The business packages aren't too exciting though. They're more of a charity than anything...

Well in the form, state and suburb were mandatory fields... so they wouldn't have any problems filtering it.

Well, I guess John Witheriff was just making it sound like we were doing something important. Either way, if they signed up 30k it would certainly make them look a bit more enticing to a potential sponsor, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see how that translates into actual,real support.

111 apparently. 10 major sponsors. 100 minor sponsors. And 1 super-major sponsor.

I was at a GC17 function last week and they said they were very happy with the 80 something businesses they had signed. - That could've been a positive spin, but that figure seemed pretty good to me. The business packages aren't too exciting though. They're more of a charity than anything...

If it's actually the case that 80 local businesses have coughed up 3 grand for basically nothing, then I would have thought that's a brilliant result. Signing up major sponsors at this early stage will be very hard when you're not offering anything yet, and what you are offering is years away. Companies aren't going to want to commit to paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in 3 years time for a package that hasn't been invented yet.
It's fine for Mars to commit to a team that will never exist (not in the next 10 years anyway), but it's much harder to get a company to promise dollars it knows it's going to have to pay.

What's this? AFL fans abusing statistics to make their sport appear more popular than it is?

Wouldn't suprise me if half North Melbourne and the other clubs on death sentences signed this to save their own skin

It is the most popular code in the country. Fact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sorry if this has already been said, but whos the super major sponsor?

Can't fudge figures in RL or RU....the vast expanses of empty seats say it all!

Its the Super Sponsor and 10 major sponsors they'll have problems with, but no doubt the AFL will have a contingency plan put in place to deal with that- temporary overseas sponsors already affiliated with AFL.

I can't imagine the 'corporate boxes' have much to offer at Carrara, or space, so the 80 wish-grabbers are quite a feat.

Well done GC17 in getting the 20,000. I'm a supporter and voted once, as were all supporters able to do. That '5 voter' poster is a troll, pay no attention.

I have no doubt that the GC is going to be a viable market. There was a lot of anti GC propaganda around last year from North Melbourne, but I think it is a market that is ready to support an expansion team.

Yep. 20,000 people from around the country signing an online form to help create a club that many of them think is an important step in their favourite sport's quest to be the undisputed #1 game in the land come to fruition is evidence enough that this place deserves its own football team. :thumbsu:

Its the Super Sponsor and 10 major sponsors they'll have problems with, but no doubt the AFL will have a contingency plan put in place to deal with that- temporary overseas sponsors already affiliated with AFL.

I don't think they'll struggle with those sponsors at all. An AFL team is represented nation-wide and across all mediums. I'm not even sure they need a local sponsor for this unlike the 80 minor ones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back