Universal Love GC2015's man cave of Gold Coast SUNS positivity

Remove this Banner Ad

Moyle was good. Shaky early, but built into the game. A lot of excellent taps and massive leaps, probably better in that regard than Witts in some ways. It’s the other aspects he will work on (covering ground, marking, contest work, clearances, possessions etc.) to become elite and surpass the big Witta.

I liked Humphrey. Had his chances in front of goal, but looked strong.
Yeah, Moyle was good in tap work, 7 tackles not bad either but offered really nothing in other parts of the game. Funny he mentioned how tired he is after the game.

Yeah, Moyle was good in tap work, 7 tackles not bad either but offered really nothing in other parts of the game. Funny he mentioned how tired he is after the game.
It would be a huge step up from VFL. He was also up against a quality ruck who often gives Witts a run all around the ground.

Certainly am not disappointed in Moyle, at all; we’re just comparing him to Witts. Almost any ruck will fall short, let alone a first gamer. Moyle would have learnt a lot from that game, for sure.

One good thing about our 3 losses is that they're all against teams in the top 6 with 2 in the top 4.
That's good right?
I can understand why people are bitterly disappointed by the way we played in the Essendon and St Kilda games but like you've pointed out, these are two clubs that have start the season well with a 3-1 record. Fremantle are more in the Geelong category and are struggling so far this season so that opens the door for us to get a W like last week. This is how our draw looks right now based on ladder positions:

R1 Sydney (6th) - 36 point loss
R2 Essendon (4th) - 28 point loss
R3 Geelong (18th) - 19 point win
R4 St Kilda (1st) - 53 point loss

It has turned out to be a rough opening month with just one team being placed in the bottom 10 and that happened to be the reigning premier. Then we have this to come over the next month:

R5 Fremantle (13th)
R6 North Melbourne (9th)
R7 Richmond (12th)
R8 Melbourne (3rd)

Now we get the opposite this coming month with three of four teams being placed in the bottom 10 and a home game against the Dees being the only time we play a top 8 team. Great opportunity for us to get some much needed wins.

I can understand why people are bitterly disappointed by the way we played in the Essendon and St Kilda games but like you've pointed out, these are two clubs that have start the season well with a 3-1 record. Fremantle are more in the Geelong category and are struggling so far this season so that opens the door for us to get a W like last week. This is how our draw looks right now based on ladder positions:

R1 Sydney (6th) - 36 point loss
R2 Essendon (4th) - 28 point loss
R3 Geelong (18th) - 19 point win
R4 St Kilda (1st) - 53 point loss

It has turned out to be a rough opening month with just one team being placed in the bottom 10 and that happened to be the reigning premier. Then we have this to come over the next month:

R5 Fremantle (13th)
R6 North Melbourne (9th)
R7 Richmond (12th)
R8 Melbourne (3rd)

Now we get the opposite this coming month with three of four teams being placed in the bottom 10 and a home game against the Dees being the only time we play a top 8 team. Great opportunity for us to get some much needed wins.
Both 2 teams who were worse then us last year and replaced the coaches too.

Both 2 teams who were worse then us last year and replaced the coaches too.
And?

We beat Collingwood and they finished below us in 2021 and then they beat us twice in 2022 with a new coach at the helm. Does that mean our losses to Collingwood last year were really bad?

You're also in the wrong thread for that kind of comment.

Positive - beat Fremantle tomorrow and we're guaranteed to finish the night tied with a top 8 position. Season back on track with North to come the following week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to be positive after a game like that but I'll try...
  • Lukosius was a shining light for a lot of that game. Phenomenal field kicking on display that would easily be top 5 in the league.
  • Swallow showed he's a reliable mid-forward for us. Kicked 3 goals and was solid when he went into the midfield with 20 disposals and 5 tackles.
  • Noah played well with 25 disposals and 2 goals. Needs more to come with him but he can hold his head high.
  • King kicked 2 goals and took a few solid contested marks. We're slowly getting there.
  • North at Heritage up next. The Kangas have fallen right off after their good start to the season and are likely to be handed a belting by the Lions tomorrow arvo. Might be hard to believe but we're currently the favourites with the bookies. An extra day's break for us when compared to the Roos too.
  • 2-4 means there's a heartbeat. Faint, but it'll be there if we defeat North next week. We were also 2-4 after round 6 last year.
  • Round 7 we've got the struggling/injury ravaged Tigers at Marvel. I know we're struggling too but facing a team like Richmond right now is a far less daunting task than St Kilda. Richmond hate playing at Marvel and Melbourne will likely beat them comfortably next week.
  • Win our next 2 games and we're 3-4. Season would be alive at that point.
I think that's the best I can do. Tough to be positive after this one.

I have many positive things. Here are a few:

• I am a masochist, so this is actually enjoyable.
  • Actually, that is pretty much it.....

I highlighted 2 positive aspects in my rant to justify posting it here :p

For me the 2nd half against Saints was most disappointing when we looked truly broken, rattled and like rubble with realization that the season will most probably end up with no finals, coach moved on.

I was wondering how we will show up against Freo, can we re-group. Going into a game with Moyle against Darcy and Jackson I predicted nightmare in the middle.

So, I was actually positively surprised by our first half and enjoyed how we went about it :) We mixed it up, Luko's performance was close to stunning in first half minus conversion (I hope people noticed his tackle, haha).

Just that woeful inability to convert. I am sure they practice set shots, but something is not working, mental aspects under pressure/fatigue, confidence issues whatever it is. Convert to average standard and we would probably be 3 W and 2 L at the moment.

And then there is form issues for some players and lapses from even experienced players. Collins, Long comes to my mind re-calling the game.

In the 2nd half my worries came to fruition. As much as we like Moyle that was terrible performance against one of the best rucks in competition and we just could not get any ascendancy in the middle, went to defensive shell. Moyle could become a great ruck in the future (I believe all ingredients are there) but best rucks will feast on him at the moment when he tires.

That first half shows we can play well, it's there. Now with an almost full list pending Witts I actually predict we will put it together although finals dream is basically over. Mental part, form of players, ability to adjust are key parts. I wish the team would try something different when Darcy got on top. Play Powell, Ainsworth, Humphrey there. Be proactive, take risks. It could make no difference but at least try something different.

Just as interest, here are some stats from someone on FB before the game. Some illustrates what's wrong with our game at the moment and there are some strong points too.

-14th for disposals but likely to be 17th at the completion of this round
-17th for handballs with the lowest handball to kick ratio
-7th for tackles
-3rd for rebounds
-14th for inside 50’s
-2nd for clearances
-1st for clangers
-18th for disposal efficiency
-1st for contested possessions
-17th for uncontested possessions
-18th for marks inside 50
-1st for 1 percenters

The idea of a new coach, partial re-build does not excite me. I would much rather prefer current set up to succeed. But Dew had enough time and unless turnaround happens it's almost time to move on. Unfortunately, new coach, other changes don't guarantee anything. Some players may decide to leave with Dew.

Finally, I love footy, the team and will definitely come to see double North games next week. I am actually looking forward to it. I would love Suns putting that arrogant little prick Clarko into his box.

I never understood people giving up on club, players after bad losses but I do understand frustration. But one thing is to analyse performances critically but respectfully the other one is to pile up vulgar s**t on coaches/players.

IMO, the players, club don't owe us anything just because we support them. No entitlement, angry emails from me just because I paid some money. If people don't like the club just move on would be my suggestion. Who really cares if some fans give up on a team in hard times (are they really true fans?). I certainly don't and don't need to read about it.

Last edited:
I highlighted 2 positive aspects in my rant to justify posting it here :p

For me the 2nd half against Saints was most disappointing when we looked truly broken, rattled and like rubble with realization that the season will most probably end up with no finals, coach moved on.

I was wondering how we will show up against Freo, can we re-group. Going into a game with Moyle against Darcy and Jackson I predicted nightmare in the middle.

So, I was actually positively surprised by our first half and enjoyed how we went about it :) We mixed it up, Luko's performance was close to stunning in first half minus conversion (I hope people noticed his tackle, haha).

Just that woeful inability to convert. I am sure they practice set shots, but something is not working, mental aspects under pressure/fatigue, confidence issues whatever it is. Convert to average standard and we would probably be 3 W and 2 L at the moment.

And then there is form issues for some players and lapses from even experienced players. Collins, Long comes to my mind re-calling the game.

In the 2nd half my worries came to fruition. As much as we like Moyle that was terrible performance against one of the best rucks in competition and we just could not get any ascendancy in the middle, went to defensive shell. Moyle could become a great ruck in the future (I believe all ingredients are there) but best rucks will feast on him at the moment when he tires.

That first half shows we can play well, it's there. Now with an almost full list pending Witts I actually predict we will put it together although finals dream is basically over. Mental part, form of players, ability to adjust are key parts. I wish the team would try something different when Darcy got on top. Play Powell, Ainsworth, Humphrey there. Be proactive, take risks. It could make no difference but at least try something different.

Just as interest, here are some stats from someone on FB before the game. Some illustrates what's wrong with our game at the moment and there are some strong points too.

-14th for disposals but likely to be 17th at the completion of this round
-17th for handballs with the lowest handball to kick ratio
-7th for tackles
-3rd for rebounds
-14th for inside 50’s
-2nd for clearances
-1st for clangers
-18th for disposal efficiency
-1st for contested possessions
-17th for uncontested possessions
-18th for marks inside 50
-1st for 1 percenters

The idea of a new coach, partial re-build does not excite me. I would much rather prefer current set up to succeed. But Dew had enough time and unless turnaround happens it's almost time to move on. Unfortunately, new coach, other changes don't guarantee anything. Some players may decide to leave with Dew.

Finally, I love footy, the team and will definitely come to see double North games next week. I am actually looking forward to it. I would love Suns putting that arrogant little prick Clarko into his box.

I never understood people giving up on club, players after bad losses but I do understand frustration. But one thing is to analyse performances critically but respectfully the other one is to pile up vulgar s**t on coaches/players.

IMO, the players, club don't owe us anything just because we support them. No entitlement, angry emails from me just because I paid some money. If people don't like the club just move on would be my suggestion. Who really cares if some fans give up on a team in hard times (are they really true fans?). I certainly don't and don't need to read about it.
:thumbsu:You're a better man than me when it comes to the Suns J13

:thumbsu:You're a better man than me when it comes to the Suns J13
In the end it's just footy. No good, if we forget to enjoy it. As much as I was disappointed after Freo game (not even close to level after Saints game) it was actually pretty good footy from both teams. Both teams with back against the wall, highly contested footy. They got us in the end as I expected with Moyle against Darcy/Jackson but I surprisingly enjoyed the game, Luko's performance, Humphrey's moments and was relatively calm.

I go only to 3 home games but always enjoy it (even more if we rarely win). Love watching reserves or academies (as they are not stressful) :)

I think it’s probably due to conditioning but I don’t really care after we lose.

I sure get frustrated in game, but after it’s done couldn’t care less. In the scheme of my life it’s of minimal importance.

Lucky that’s the case as can’t imagine my mental state if a loss actually affected my mental state.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back