Podcast GCSUNSCAST - Gold Coast Suns Podcast

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We Have Cal twomey on the show this tuesday to tell us the 3 suns players he is looking forward to seeing in 2020. I also quiz him about his thoughts on the Suns Jumper after his comments on AFL Xchange. Let us know your questions and thoughts ill try to drop them into the show.

Can you ask him is it time to trade out pick 1 for a top player instead of keeping on going back to the draft.. continually going back to the draft with pick 1 hasn’t worked for Carlton or Melbourne

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Can you ask him is it time to trade out pick 1 for a top player instead of keeping on going back to the draft.. continually going back to the draft with pick 1 hasn’t worked for Carlton or Melbourne
Legitimate question.

Who are you trading pick 1 for?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I am not Craig Cameron so I don’t know who is on offer.. but what’s the point of continually going back to the draft for pick 1 when it clearly doesn’t work
I’m not disagreeing with you.

I guess my point is, there has to someone worth pick one in trade value, willing to come to your club.

Now I’m not singling Gold Coast out in the above statement. The same applies to any club, whether it be the afore mentioned Carlton, Melbourne, or even my own Lions.

Pick one does hold more intrinsic value than any other pick, so it really has to be a superstar you’re trading for.

As for Carlton or Melbourne, there’s more to a rebuild than just going back to the draft. Hawthorn undeniably built their 3 peat team via the draft, but also had senior players to set an example, and probably one hundred and one small different things or circumstances that contributed to them being successful.

I believe most people recognise that Gold Coast is starting from much further back in their current rebuild. It’s going to take time, and no individual, whether it’s Dustin Martin or Nat Fyfe, Brodie Grundy or Patrick Cripps is going help speed up the development of your kids.

That can be a hard sell to fans. Patience. Especially to fans who are desperate to experience some form of success. (That’s every fan of every club by the way)

Every club has been there. It’s just amplified a thousand times more in today’s instant news society, where people have access to such news, opinions and discussion 24/7 with fans form all over the country, from every team, able to connect online.

Hang in there. Hopefully things turn around faster than opposition fans (including myself) think they will.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I am not Craig Cameron so I don’t know who is on offer.. but what’s the point of continually going back to the draft for pick 1 when it clearly doesn’t work

Would love to get a star player in.

A number of teams won’t be interested as they’re in win now mode or already have multiple high picks in this semi-mysterious draft.

I don’t think the chances are high because I can’t see many teams wanting to part with a player good enough to warrant the trade. Some random possibilities below, all pretty unlikely to me but you never know.

Freo: Fyfe - would be 29? And injury prone with freos super young midfield group I doubt they’d want to take away one of their only senior mids Captain and face of the franchise.

St Kilda: seb Ross. - decent player that would improve our midfield, . St Kilda might be interested in pairing pick 1 with young core who are 24 and under king, Gresham, Marshall, Steele, Clark, billing’s, coffield. Ross would only be worth a mid first so would probably want to take st Kildas first back. Ross also very similar to a number of our inside one positional mids. Don’t know how much he improves our 22 tbh. Ross is likely next stk captain when geary retires.

Port: Ollie wines, some question how he fits into ports team. Even as their captain. They have a bunch of great young players. This is one that could actually be win:win for me depending his injury status. I would probably want additional pick swaps, would put wines value as a top 10 pick - not 1st pick. Potentially could get someone like Joel garner, a small defender who is just outside of their best 22.

briztoon
Any comments on the above.
To be honest wines is the only one that would have a chance of getting done IMO, and I would put it at less than 5% likelihood.

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
good questions guys, ill try and steer the conversion in those directions. Cal probably wont have any better knowledge then what Mitch had on players coming to the club but the dilemma of going for best player v needs is an interesting one i can put to cal. Holland's v DGB etc.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast

A number of teams won’t be interested as they’re in win now mode or already have multiple high picks in this semi-mysterious draft.

I don’t think the chances are high because I can’t see many teams wanting to part with a player good enough to warrant the trade. Some random possibilities below, all pretty unlikely to me but you never know.

Freo: Fyfe - would be 29? And injury prone with freos super young midfield group I doubt they’d want to take away one of their only senior mids Captain and face of the franchise.

St Kilda: seb Ross. - decent player that would improve our midfield, . St Kilda might be interested in pairing pick 1 with young core who are 24 and under king, Gresham, Marshall, Steele, Clark, billing’s, coffield. Ross would only be worth a mid first so would probably want to take st Kildas first back. Ross also very similar to a number of our inside one positional mids. Don’t know how much he improves our 22 tbh. Ross is likely next stk captain when geary retires.

Port: Ollie wines, some question how he fits into ports team. Even as their captain. They have a bunch of great young players. This is one that could actually be win:win for me depending his injury status. I would probably want additional pick swaps, would put wines value as a top 10 pick - not 1st pick. Potentially could get someone like Joel garner, a small defender who is just outside of their best 22.

briztoon
To be honest wines is the only one that would have a chance of getting done IMO, and I would put it at less than 5% likelihood.
The problem is to convince a top player to join Suns. Until Suns will show enough promise (start winning) it's not going to happen. Sincerely hope, the round one performance is not the indication where we are at the moment.

Zac Williams would be an obvious target.

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

briztoon
I wouldn’t be trading pick 1 for any player who doesn’t look like being around for a minimum of 5 years at their peak. So, ideally a player who is 25 or younger.

I don’t see Ollie Wines as worth pick 1, and Port don’t have a first round pick to send back in a trade.

In such a scenario you’re probably trading out your first and second round pick (yours, not Brisbane’s which you also hold), and receiving back a player and that teams first round pick.

Looking at this years draft class, there’s no player who looks to be in the class of Sam Walsh or Matt Rowell.

The current top prospect looks like Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, who is nga tied to Western Bulldogs.

If it was possible, me personally for the Suns, would look to trade back a little for two picks. Either two top 10 picks this year, or one this year and one next year.

Next years top midfield prospects look better than this years crop.

If Gold Coast had two top picks this year, I’d look at Denver Granger-Barras and Finlay Macrae.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I wouldn’t be trading pick 1 for any player who doesn’t look like being around for a minimum of 5 years at their peak. So, ideally a player who is 25 or younger.

I don’t see Ollie Wines as worth pick 1, and Port don’t have a first round pick to send back in a trade.

In such a scenario you’re probably trading out your first and second round pick (yours, not Brisbane’s which you also hold), and receiving back a player and that teams first round pick.

Looking at this years draft class, there’s no player who looks to be in the class of Sam Walsh or Matt Rowell.

The current top prospect looks like Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, who is nga tied to Western Bulldogs.

If it was possible, me personally for the Suns, would look to trade back a little for two picks. Either two top 10 picks this year, or one this year and one next year.

Next years top midfield prospects look better than this years crop.

If Gold Coast had two top picks this year, I’d look at Denver Granger-Barras and Finlay Macrae.
Yeah, there are lots of different options for pick trading.
In terms of actual pick-player trades much harder.

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
A few long silences at the start as Thom's audio went missing. the youtube video has these edited out.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Thanks for asking a few questions guys.
Interesting to hear Cal's thoughts on our potential drafting strategies

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
some audio issues with Thom fixed at the 11 minute mark just as we get into the meat and potatoes.
and sorry Bods the lid is off.......

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
some audio issues with Thom fixed at the 11 minute mark just as we get into the meat and potatoes.
and sorry Bods the lid is off.......

Seems he regularly has some audio issues at the start of the cast is there any thought of going back to a pre recorded cast instead of live so you can test and edit?
Apart from the audio issues I love listening on the way to work Wednesday mornings

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Seems he regularly has some audio issues at the start of the cast is there any thought of going back to a pre recorded cast instead of live so you can test and edit?
Apart from the audio issues I love listening on the way to work Wednesday mornings
not a pre recorded cast but we have discussed moving the show back a little bit so we have the time to run a full audio test before the show. just tricky finding times that suit everyone.

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
what's the go here, mate?

FB_IMG_1593568899776.jpg

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
what's the go here, mate?

View attachment 903847
yeah I've just been alerted to this. Thom (17er) has gone too far. I'm addressing it with him at the moment and will have an apology soon but just want to clarify myself nor the GCSUNSCAST brand condone his actions and I personally apologise to anyone who has been offended or let down by this behaviour.

Back