Games & Recreation GD AFL Thread- all things footy and dim sims back when it used to be good

Remove this Banner Ad

FRUMPY

In here.

*Thread is meant to be a lighthearted look back on ANY game/player/happening at an AFL match from the past. It is NOT 'OMG IVE WATCHED THE GF 1675 TIMES OMG HAWKS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THAN GEELONG OMG LOOK AT MY DICK SEE HOW MUCH BIGGER IT IS THAN YOURS"

Capiche? :)

Enjoy. x

Last edited:

Good question, nothing really stands out but the Coll v Carl centenary match was fun - my first big night game i think, massive crowd, front row, got a shitload of autographs and we beat the pies on their ' big' day

Used to love games at princes park - the big games against a good opponent, we just seemed to get over the line in awesome close games - v cats in 1995 was a ripper. Even though its a shithole, i miss games at local grounds

I remember games against the bombers at princes park, massive crowds. you had to get there by the start of the ressies to get a good seat, make a day of it.

Good question, nothing really stands out but the Coll v Carl centenary match was fun - my first big night game i think, massive crowd, front row, got a shitload of autographs and we beat the pies on their ' big' day

Used to love games at princes park - the big games against a good opponent, we just seemed to get over the line in awesome close games - v cats in 1995 was a ripper. Even though its a shithole, i miss games at local grounds

I remember games against the bombers at princes park, massive crowds. you had to get there by the start of the ressies to get a good seat, make a day of it.

Man really nothing stands out? I got a tonne..

- v Essendon 1995. Ablett snapping goal from the boundary 50M out
- the v north above
- 1994 finals series except the big one
- Some classic games in 1997, esp the last one v Swans.
- v Hawks Jimmy Bartel after the siren
- v Hawks Hawkins on the siren
- the 187 v Melbourne.
- this time we smashed Richmond at Etihad. Massive win 100+ i think

Maybe the 'Kouta' game vs the WCE at Princes Park - diesel claimed tony evans toe poke as a goal for us haha and we won by a point. we had some awesome games against the eagles in the mid/late 90s - especially over in perth

The 1995 v you guys at Optus was a classic. Lost it by 2 points, fking Michael Mansfield kick for goal bounced at a fking right angle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to go past the 2014 GF, just brutal. I was legit stunned in the first half at how aggressive the Hawks came out and dominated.
Couple of random H&A wins during the threepeat were good too. 2013 against Collingwood in the wet, 2015 in Sydney

Man really nothing stands out? I got a tonne..

- v Essendon 1995. Ablett snapping goal from the boundary 50M out
- the v north above
- 1994 finals series except the big one
- Some classic games in 1997, esp the last one v Swans.
- v Hawks Jimmy Bartel after the siren
- v Hawks Hawkins on the siren
- the 187 v Melbourne.
- this time we smashed Richmond at Etihad. Massive win 100+ i think

No games of the top of my head

I like to think back of the my favorite players (Sticks, Bradley, Dean, Gleeson, McKay, Hickmott, Ratten etc)

I used to also go to the footy with my dad and brothers who barrack for north. He used to get us into the rooms after a game at the MCG, you just lined up and they let heaps of people in (being north supporters, wasnt that hard to get in). These days you cant just do that. Was so cool as a young kid (probably around 8-10 yrs old)

WORST games?

- Nick fking Davis for me. and
- v Crows Semi 1997.

I would not even put in the grand finals before those 2. They burned so bad.

Getting torched by GWS in 2016, or a game against the Dogs in 2009 when it was like 80-2 at one point.

Round 16 2014
Gold Coast v Collingwood at Metricon.

Footy peaked on the coast this night.
the crowd was over 24k and was so loud. Great game. Lost ablett with his shoulder, but team lifted and we still won by 5 points.
we were well on our way in our 4th season.

Football was the best when I was young and had a full head of hair /old BigFooty posters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back