Games & Recreation GD AFL Thread- all things footy and dim sims back when it used to be good

Remove this Banner Ad

Would have to be my earliest geelong fc memory :)

That's an interesting topic. I think my first specific Geelong memory would have to be watching the pregame show on Channel 9 for our Friday night game against Collingwood in 2005 (Round 11: we lost 18.13 (121) to 14.12 (96))

My earliest football/AFL memory is from 2003, I remember my parents bought me the AFL Collector's Sticker Book, and I remember putting player stickers in the book and going to the newsagent in what was then Bay City Plaza to buy a packet of stickers. I also remember from a similar time playing footy in the backyard by myself with my Cats footy (having shots at goal etc.) and I awarded myself a free kick because the ball came off the side of my boot. And I had an AFL Memory game too, I remember playing that, that was good fun

Thirteen. Thir-teeeen!

There are 5 players left who have kicked 10 in a game and one is Tom Lynch from Adelaide who has kicked more than 4 just twice.
Kennedy, Buddy, Riewoldt, Lynch... I'm struggling to pin point number five. Brown? Cameron? Hawkins?

Kennedy, Buddy, Riewoldt, Lynch... I'm struggling to pin point number five. Brown? Cameron? Hawkins?
Brown - 10 goals against the Power towards the end of the season just past

Hawkins best is like 6 or 7

Hawkins has done 7 im fairly certain

Yep, seven against the Dees in 2018 at home. Four of them came in the last quarter alone

The two he kicked from set shots in the last quarter was the loudest crowd noise I had/have heard from Kardinia Park in a long time

Last edited:
Has everyone listened to this podcast?
Both seasons are brilliant

As a South Australian I found some of the people in this (Footscray/Fitzroy podcast) to be too Viccentric. Leon Weigard can GFH for all I care.
The VFL have always been a target of mine so their actions never surprise me

Yep, seven against the Dees in 2018 at home. Four of them came in the last quarter alone

The two he kicked from set shots in the last quarter was the loudest crowd noise I had/have heard from Kardinia Park in a long time

Biggest crowd noise i heard at KP, ever, was the pre-Bailey sacking massacre of Melbourne at KP when we... equaled (?) our record? Or did we get within a goal i cant remember.

We sat next to Melbourne's race and when they came out before the match i honestly thought to myself they look like a bunch of kids that i could snap in half.

That's an interesting topic. I think my first specific Geelong memory would have to be watching the pregame show on Channel 9 for our Friday night game against Collingwood in 2005 (Round 11: we lost 18.13 (121) to 14.12 (96))

My earliest football/AFL memory is from 2003, I remember my parents bought me the AFL Collector's Sticker Book, and I remember putting player stickers in the book and going to the newsagent in what was then Bay City Plaza to buy a packet of stickers. I also remember from a similar time playing footy in the backyard by myself with my Cats footy (having shots at goal etc.) and I awarded myself a free kick because the ball came off the side of my boot. And I had an AFL Memory game too, I remember playing that, that was good fun

Yeah ive done the whole sticker book thing. Would have been 1994 and Gavin Wanganeen was on the cover.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got a funny story to tell ya’ll - Remember the mark Jezzalenko took and the commentator said Jezzalenko you beauty. Well my Dad was right in front of that mark with his Dad when he was a young boy and just as Jezza took off for the huge mark this guy in front of my Dad put a big radio up on his shoulder and my Dad missed the greatest mark of all time and my Dads, Dad said omg did you see that and Dad was like no bc that guy in front of me put his radio up just when it happened and he turns around and goes sorry and puts the radio down but after that it was too late he was lying on the ground already. Dad looks at it now as at the end of the day all the people that were at the toilet or getting food would of missed it too, so I wasn’t the only one. Hehe. Funny story though just had to share.

I would choose Rome

I was at a camp site with the slowest af internet- so i couldnt watch the game (unlike i could at the best internet cafe in Santorini and i watched v Saints live)- anyway- so I timed it so i was in front of the computer when the final scores would have been coming thru, but cause it was so s**t, it froze at us being behind you guys, everytime i tried to refresh, the scores stayed the same. But then the headline changed to "Hawkins kicks sealer blah blah blah" so i took that as gospel even tho i didnt actually see the correct scores.

I missed the Hawkins kick on the siren v Hawks.

Was in Rome at the time.

I wish i had not been in Rome. Games like that dont come along often and Rome will always fking be there. :rolleyes:

I was GA, top level and sitting behind the goals to the end we were kicking in the last

I had some other Geelong people beside me (never met them before) and a few Hawks fans the row behind

During the first half when we got out to the crazy lead all of us were enjoying some banter, nothing too serious & not offensive to either team. The Hawks then made the comeback & their fans were a bit more jovial but it gets to the last few minutes, all of us were on edge and nervous

Hawkins takes his kick, we stand up to watch the ball to see if it crosses the line - Geelong fans jump for joy, the Hawks fans fell back in their seats. But once things settled it was congratulations & commiserations and all very level between rival fans

What about the Smiss miss.

I didnt even watch that kick- I watched the bunch of Geelong fans behind me/us. Lol- was actually pretty cool to see that reaction

I had my head in my hands until the point he was kicking and I decided to watch because of we were going to lose then so be it

To see him miss was just crazy

I had my head in my hands until the point he was kicking and I decided to watch because of we were going to lose then so be it

To see him miss was just crazy

Exactly the same as me, I was up the top level on the other side of the ground in one of the Geelong bays, and I had my head in my hands with just a gap between my fingers just to see what was happening. I fully expected him to kick it, so did my old man who was sitting next to me

But then I saw all the players run towards the point post, our cheer squad behind the goals went up and then I screamed 'HE'S MISSED!!!!!!!!!' and I was jumping up and down so quickly and suddenly I got dizzy 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back