Games & Recreation GD AFL Thread- all things footy and dim sims back when it used to be good

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember Geelong in 1992 just annihilating teams by kicking massive scores. Broke the VFL/AFL record kicking 37.17.239 against Brisbane at Carrara (old Metricon) then kicked 32.18.210 against Adelaide the following week. One point shy of kicking 450 points in two games. Journeyman forward John Hutton kicked 8 for the Bears despite his team losing by 28 goals. He actually kicked 8 in a game 3 times in his unremarkable 33 game career. That's 90s foot for you.

I also remember listening on the radio to the day Jason Dunstall kicked 17.5.

At the time I didn't know any better (was 8) but the way footy is played now Fred Fanning's record isn't being broken.
I was at that game and if he was greedy he could have had 20 +

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine Ben Brown having 22 shots at goal in a game....

I remember that 17-5 of Dunstall's too. One of the things I most remember from he and Plugger and co's time is their accuracy.
Was a genuine surprise when they missed.

Modern day player is so gassed from 'repeat efforts', 'unrewarded running', 'fat side', 'J leads', etc. that set shots don't get near that.

Imagine Ben Brown having 22 shots at goal in a game....

I remember that 17-5 of Dunstall's too. One of the things I most remember from he and Plugger and co's time is their accuracy.
Was a genuine surprise when they missed.

Modern day player is so gassed from 'repeat efforts', 'unrewarded running', 'fat side', 'J leads', etc. that set shots don't get near that.

If he was having 5/6 shots on goal each quarter, the game would go another 30 minutes plus

I think i can remember listening to the broadcast of that on the radio. Would have to be my earliest geelong fc memory :)
It was actually on TV. Can remember watching the first few minutes, going out and kicking the footy till a couple of minutes from the end and saw Billy kick it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back