Education & Reference GD Atlas thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the Southern Cross (except as a tattoo), because it represents us geographically. However, Ihave no time for the Union Jack. It doesn't feel right for an independent country to have another sovereign nation's flag embedded on it.

While there us not much debate that Captain Cook was one of the best navigators ever,the guy who put his ship in
2 different days
2 different months
2 different years
2 different seasons and
2 different centuries
all at the same time is easily my favourite.
View attachment 1070468

That's the same century.

Bursting my balloons here.
I'm sticking with snopes and cheeky 1st mate Payton and prankish Captain John v amusingplanet.com
View attachment 1070808
Also it's written in the ship's log,so it's a legit legal document that stands up then and today.

Uh, the bit you quoted from Snopes is the story published by another source. They debunk it afterwards.

There's only 1 flag with an image of a human on it. Belize

View attachment 1070644
Quoting my own post, but Belize is an awesome country with diverse people and the world's 2nd largest reef. Snorkling and diving is superb, and you get lobster cheese sandwiches for 5 bucks on the beach. It's an undiscovered and underated gem. Lot's of hidden mayan ruins where theres no visitors.

Quoting my own post, but Belize is an awesome country with diverse people and the world's 2nd largest reef. Snorkling and diving is superb, and you get lobster cheese sandwiches for 5 bucks on the beach. It's an undiscovered and underated gem. Lot's of hidden mayan ruins where theres no visitors.

Sounds cool. Mexico is obviously popular and I know people who have gone to Costa Rica and Panama. I don't know much about Belize though. Would like to go sometime.

Sounds cool. Mexico is obviously popular and I know people who have gone to Costa Rica and Panama. I don't know much about Belize though. Would like to go sometime.
We didn't know much either, but it's part of the Commonwealth and they like the Queen. They served roadkill to the Queen back in the 60s. It felt like Australia might have been in the 50s or 60s. The television and football is hilarious in an innocent naive kind of way.

Is it safe ?

Is it safe ?
It was for us. Belize City isnt safe, but take a boat to Ambergris Caye or one of many islands. We spent a week on tobacco caye, we stayed in the blue hut on the left of this picture. Sunset around 6pm... Sat on the deck under a perfect sky listening to the waves crash off the reef 200 metres out smoking a joint(1/4 ounce, 10 US $), under a bright starlit sky, with manta rays swimming under our deck. The island is about the size of a footy ground. Can snorkel around it.

Bliss.

1614977157556.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know I said not a travel thread.. but my ex stayed here, had a 30 hour or so stopover- Mauritius

mauritius-island%20-%20article.jpg

He's proud to say he ventured to the town/s where the "tourist buses didnt go" and met the locals. Said they were extremely friendly + had a great time there.

Earlier in the week, I discovered a geographical oddity concerning Mooroolbark and Lilydale in Victoria.

Partial copy and paste from my Facebook profile.

Off Mooroolbark Rd, there’s Park Ln.
There’s also Nicholson St.

They’re classified as Lilydale thoroughfares.

Yet, to get to places, both require Mooroolbark Rd to be that conduit.

Mooroolbark Rd forms part of the Mooza B border.

I think I’ve found a suburban exclave.
Or enclave.
I’m not comfortable saying either word yet.

I know I said not a travel thread.. but my ex stayed here, had a 30 hour or so stopover- Mauritius

mauritius-island%20-%20article.jpg

He's proud to say he ventured to the town/s where the "tourist buses didnt go" and met the locals. Said they were extremely friendly + had a great time there.

My sister had her honeymoon there. Said it was nice. Commented on the same thing about locals and the markets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back