GDFL Season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And barry otoole has ****ed cfc they had a good president and new coach but they reinstated him to then leave and screw the club over

Wasnt a corio listed player arrsted so wrong facts there
Maybe not a corio player arrested ( sorry ) but the ones that were sprayed were, and for your other post, not just Barrys fault but also BJ had a lot to do with it and Nevada Cornwell i have played against him and as a player i have a lot of respect, but to guide the club no way, the whole club needs a clean sweep of the people bringing the club down.

Last edited:

Maybe not a corio player arrested ( sorry ) but the ones that were sprayed were, and for your other post, not just Barrys fault but also BJ had a lot to do with it and Nevada Cornwell i have played against him and as a player i have a lot of respect, but to guide the club no way, the whole club needs a clean sweep of the people bringing the club down.
I recon nev will do wonders for the club has good relationship with younger players and i think nathan boyd will stay on if hes paid

With all these off field issues ongoing and made public at Corio what will happen....? Same old
Anakie and East Geelong will swoop and pay overs to those players whom feel aggrieved. Been happening for last 20 years. It has never worked for club success longterm Michael Cadman is the only player with some currency in the market on their list. They desperately need to keep him to build the next generation around

what about dylan smith , ryan robertson goose dylan shelley brian devlin luke cornwell,jeremy large good young players who you would want to keep around the club another year or 2 in them they will be good players then you have players in there 2s good enough to play ones like blake podnar ridley and marlin nobby if need be they won 4 games this year and lost 5 by under a goal they turn those 5 and 4 they won into wins plus a extra 2 they will b pushing finals next year evrey year people bag corio i love playing them and watching them if they get a permant ruckman next year keep there list with a few extras comeing in they will be pushing for a top 5 finish

what about dylan smith , ryan robertson goose dylan shelley brian devlin luke cornwell,jeremy large good young players who you would want to keep around the club another year or 2 in them they will be good players then you have players in there 2s good enough to play ones like blake podnar ridley and marlin nobby if need be they won 4 games this year and lost 5 by under a goal they turn those 5 and 4 they won into wins plus a extra 2 they will b pushing finals next year evrey year people bag corio i love playing them and watching them if they get a permant ruckman next year keep there list with a few extras comeing in they will be pushing for a top 5 finish

It will be extremely hard to retain the players they have and recruit players for next season when you have no money and owe players money. Why would a recruit go to Corio?

It will be extremely hard to retain the players they have and recruit players for next season when you have no money and owe players money. Why would a recruit go to Corio?
You can't build a house without a good foundation. Until they get the off field issues sorted and head in the right direction it will hard not only to recruit but retain players.Any word if East are going to retain there coach?.Heard maybe not.

Why not pay the players weekly? Dont train, dont get a game! Dont get a game, dont get paid! Is it really that hard???
The club would then save money, build a reputation off field, play the players that really want to be there, who train twice, do the pre season, support the club through membership and functions and start from there.
A successful club is not just about winning games of football!
Short term pain for long term gain!
Why wait until the end of the season and have to pay out thousands of dollars lump sum?

That's the best way to do it but from what I was told Corio had no money in the bank at the start of the season so unless they have money to start with they can't do it.

That being said though it's clearly the best way to keep the playing group honest, I guess if everybody paid their fees before round 1 they could do it but it seems like most players haven't paid any or very little of their fees.

On fees what's the average coast per player at each club? What was Corio charging per player.

From talking to some people at various clubs I am told getting player fees is becoming harder and harder every year. With an $80,000 salary cap in the GDFL which is the lowest cap locally those clubs at the top end would need $4,400 a week to pay players if paying at 100% of the cap.

That's the best way to do it but from what I was told Corio had no money in the bank at the start of the season so unless they have money to start with they can't do it.

That being said though it's clearly the best way to keep the playing group honest, I guess if everybody paid their fees before round 1 they could do it but it seems like most players haven't paid any or very little of their fees.

On fees what's the average coast per player at each club? What was Corio charging per player.

From talking to some people at various clubs I am told getting player fees is becoming harder and harder every year. With an $80,000 salary cap in the GDFL which is the lowest cap locally those clubs at the top end would need $4,400 a week to pay players if paying at 100% of the cap.
Thats exactly right, so for $4,400 in player payments, bar stock, canteen supplies, tape and medical expenses, footballs, jumpers and god knows whatever else you could be looking at $15k plus at a guess just to start the season off. Lets say $300 each for a membership at 50 players on a list and theres your $15k.
As I said in a previous post, not paid up equals no game. Simple!

And what annoys me the most......players who request there memberships be taken out of player payments. I bet there the first ones to whinge about crappy footballs for training, poor facilities etc. Clubs do not need these types of players!

Thats exactly right, so for $4,400 in player payments, bar stock, canteen supplies, tape and medical expenses, footballs, jumpers and god knows whatever else you could be looking at $15k plus at a guess just to start the season off. Lets say $300 each for a membership at 50 players on a list and theres your $15k.

And what annoys me the most......players who request there memberships be taken out of player payments. I bet there the first ones to whinge about crappy footballs for training, poor facilities etc. Clubs do not need these types of players!
Common Sense hopefully one club will take all this onboard.

That's fine in theory but then you can get to round one and 3 people have paid. Is it better for the club to forfeit to prove a point?

Looking in another direction. The Geelong West Giants are fully financial but have the worst list in the competition. Will the rebranding bring back past players to add to a generation of old Roosters juniors which will be available at 1pt from 2018 onwards. These kids won the Div 3 premiership and represented in the Div 1 competition. Most GDFL sides won't have access to this talent to add depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, forfeit both teams, and it should be backed entirely by the league and opposing clubs.

Why is it that the netballers have to be paid up VNA members before they take the court yet a footballer can take to the field for a whole season without paying their VCFL, which comes out of their club membership?
This is a requirement that clubs pay by a certain period for all players to be covered by insurance, and certainly a cost which clubs cannot afford when players dont pay their membership.

Maybe local football leagues should separate the VCFL aspect of their clubs memberships and have every player pay upfront before they take the field?

Yes, forfeit both teams, and it should be backed entirely by the league and opposing clubs.

Why is it that the netballers have to be paid up VNA members before they take the court yet a footballer can take to the field for a whole season without paying their VCFL, which comes out of their club membership?
This is a requirement that clubs pay by a certain period for all players to be covered by insurance, and certainly a cost which clubs cannot afford when players dont pay their membership.

Maybe local football leagues should separate the VCFL aspect of their clubs memberships and have every player pay upfront before they take the field?
Not only would the league not support you, I think it is a $10 000 fine if a senior team forfeits.

Change of topic! Any truth Caleb Bacely to return to BPH? Good news if its true, still cannot believe he was not in Groveys best 22!

Anakie, Corio and East only hav 1 player each. Thats not well represented in my books. West and Werribee none. obviously the final cut will b made up from the stronger league clubs, but it is a league side. Each club should have minimum 3 players attending the training camps/in a squad of 50. Even if its just for networking or player/club development. Then they can bring info back to their respective clubs and the whole league improves from it.
Spot on

I think BPH will have the goods when it really matters. There depth and overall eveness over the whole ground will be the factor on Saturday. Remember you are only as good as your bottom 4-5 players and this is where BPH's strength lies. They say forwards kick goals and backs win matches, and I think BPH's backs will out do Inverleigh's forwards. Cam Addie has got the better of Carson throughout the season but St Albans is a different ground altogether, more space for him to lead into and therefore more contest in the air. Should be a great contest between these two. Joel Page is going to be super hard to stop up forward and if David Holzfiend plays anywhere near his best, might end up with leather poisoning. Will start in the middle, Huybens v Lovitt with Huybens to be more effective around the ground however wont be enough to get them over the line. BPH by 6 goals plus.
Great prediction mate

1 Correct - and the same lack of support with purchasing and equipment continued all year saw the coach buying $500+ worth of cones footys vests and supplies which wouldn't be reimbursed..

2 True.. However they will be leaving the club because the incoming treasurer couldn't communicate with them and inform them of plans to make payments & trust was lost by rd15..

3 This is true however with no social committee, very little committee involvement or assistance- the burden of setting these events up fell on Nathan Boyd and very few helpers.. Local support has been an issue for a long time this can't be resolved by throwing the coach and a players delegate the keys to the bus and no direction!

4 This was absolutely driven to the group strongly, with fees being a weekly note on the board & pre training.. however minimal facetime with treasurer didn't push the urgency so much to the players.. The message gets lost pretraining when players are being reviewed and training discussed..

5 - One sponsor is a multi national brand & not once have their Head Office been contacted to push the urgency of Winter and Taylor to submit their outstanding amounts, the other major sponsor is claimed to have had a cheque there for a month. Treasure was still yet to invoice a further 4 sponsors as of last week which would thoroughly assist in paying dues too.

6- There was a distinct lack of communication from committee to playing group.. there weren't many occasions that any member of committee spoke with players in a positive light & players felt an us v them mentality.. highlighted by reports of president referencing players as *******s being filtered to the group from another committee member..

7 Can't comment on that but feedback is good and players and coach eyes to preseason in a few weeks time.. A host of young talented players have resigned along with some new players to the group -the next stages have been severely hindered by reputations as non payers and rumors..

Players aren't happy because EVERY time they are promised something, nothing at all comes to fruition. Paired with no urgency put into chasing sponsors and no communication from the treasurer - players have every right to be upset.

The cultural issues were in the process of being addressed, the club had recruited alright (however stand to lose Huhns Foster Smith Kozole), had a great on field season considering the last few seasons & had identified a handful of players to target for 2017 - all of which have said no thanks won't chat til the committee and the money is fixed..

At the end of the day, money is a huge part of footy like it or not... if players get promised things and they don't get delivered it creates instability and essentially creates problems..
in that a request was made for the financials by a paid up member and that member was told no, he could wait til the AGM. fishy..

QUOTE="TruthSerum, post: 46623830, member: 175746"]I made a few calls and this is what I found out

1 Corio started the season in debt with no footballs or jumpers and needed GDFL support

2 most marquee players have been paid in full or have a handful of games owed

3 the club has not been supported well by locals and really only income has bee via netball functions etc

4 most players have not paid fees at all or only $50 of fees making life hard for the committee

5 over $20,000 from sponsors including the two major ones are yet to pay their accounts despite being invoiced early in the season

6 most of committee walking away because they are burnt out and were not supported by playing group all year

7 senior coach has had a relationship breakdown and lost his job and moved to other side of Melbourne with new partner and seeking opportunities closer to home as playing group don't respect him

Seems like same old Corio rotting at the core and finger pointing, I was told GDFL instructed the club to pay the players last after other accounts once sponsors pay up and players not happy

No wonder they lose presidents and committees every year because the joints full of s**t bricks[/QUOTE]

Same old Corio

Playing group blame committee for them not paying their own fees despite being asked to pay them

LOL...that's like blaming the power company when your power is cut off because YOU NEVER PAID YOUR BILL

I hear a few boys leaving solely because they want success and don't want to be around dickheads who don't train and that the culture stinks.

One thing is for sure though past sponsors and players had an absolute gutful of the playing group destroying the club and the GDFL and AFL should step in and close the joint

The only reason some players got paid this year was due to a player giving them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back