Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoobiesnack

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2008
victoria
AFL Club
Fremantle
Watched Werribee play on Saturday. Impressive for a young group. Was a terrific game to watch. High scoring. Both sides controlling bits of the game.
Werribee could sneak in on that performance.
They play Bannockburn who currently sit in 5th on the ladder in the last game. Will be interesting to see if they can win enough games for that to be a very important game to get in.

Hawk202

Senior List
Apr 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Been bloody quiet on here!

Is the top 5 now locked away for good for the rest of the year and can anyone stop Inverleigh? Now everyone has played each other once, thoughts on the Whitley medal also.

BUZZ58

Debutant
May 14, 2012
geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Perhaps Rhys Burke isn't quite done yet, notice he's been named in the Panther's 2's for this Saturday, but will he play? Also, what chance Renn Lovett playing just before the finals? I believe he ended up going back to Queensland because of his work but no clearance has been lodged, could it be the Hill may fly him down for a few games before then end of the year? Wouldn't be the first club to do so.

Kick it forward

Senior List
Sep 4, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Been bloody quiet on here!

Is the top 5 now locked away for good for the rest of the year and can anyone stop Inverleigh? Now everyone has played each other once, thoughts on the Whitley medal also.

It's been a really good season so far. We aren't getting the floggings like in the past seasons. This could because of points and salary cap system.
Two good teams are going to miss out on finals. Banno could lock away the top 5 this Saturday.
I think Simon Seddon will win the Whitley medal

Kick it forward

Senior List
Sep 4, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Very interesting round coming up with some big games.

BPH v Thomson loser to drop out of the top 3

West V banno. West must win to give themselves a chance to play finals

Werribee V inverleigh. Werribee need a upset win to play finals.

PUNCHY

Team Captain
Nov 7, 2007
Belmont Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton

Turned out to be a good post kick it forward or your new name "nostradamas", throw in Anakie beating Winch, Belmont rolling East at East and Corio good effort v North, round of the year so far.

Swamp Dog

GDFL all knowing guru
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
hey punchy see lornes reserves james fisher and aaron rethus. wonder why belmont let them go
I can’t work out wether you are serious here, they played reserves in one of Victorias lowest grades of football yesterday, what exactly are you trying to say

bellarina

Draftee
Jun 23, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Football in Geelong needs a shake up somewhere , I reckon Leigh was on the right track but maybe just needed to try and get the the key players on side ,a three division competition working toward a 4 division comp will give young footballers and netballers in the region an opportunity to play at the best standard that equates to their ability and make for competitive games right across the divisions

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

PUNCHY

Team Captain
Nov 7, 2007
Belmont Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton

Kick it Forward and others, cracking round coming up with 4 out 6 games affecting finals, I think Corio are even a chance to have a win at home. Tips?

Inva v Thomson
Corio v East
Giants v BPH
Anakie v Belmont
Werribee v Winch
North v Bannock

Kick it forward

Senior List
Sep 4, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Kick it Forward and others, cracking round coming up with 4 out 6 games affecting finals, I think Corio are even a chance to have a win at home. Tips?

Inva v Thomson
Corio v East
Giants v BPH
Anakie v Belmont
Werribee v Winch
North v Bannock

It's a great round coming up. The competition is as even as it's ever been. You will do well to tip all 6 winners. My tips

Thomson
East
BPH
Belmont
Winch
Banno.

gdfl follower

Senior List
Jan 24, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong

Inva v Thomson
Corio v East
Giants v BPH
Anakie v Belmont
Werribee v Winch
North v Bannock

Great round.
Will see who's the team to beat and premiership favorite with Thomson inverleigh. Geelong west finals Hope's on the line against bph and weribee winch and banno fighting for the last 1 or 2 spots.

Will be interesting to see if Thomson can roll inverliegh out there

bellarina

Draftee
Jun 23, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Football in Geelong needs a shake up somewhere , I reckon Leigh was on the right track but maybe just needed to try and get the the key players on side ,a three division competition working toward a 4 division comp will give young footballers and netballers in the region an opportunity to play at the best standard that equates to their ability and make for competitive games right across the divisions

Swamp Dog

GDFL all knowing guru
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I would agree that change is required, i just think that their primary concern was to improve GFL at all costs, i would have liked to see the points system and salary cap have a few more years to really take affect but for it to truly work each club needed to have strong juniors so here is something to give some thought.
What if AFL Barwon was to introduce rules where no club was to permitted to field a second u/19 team until all 34 clubs are able to field a full team, lets be honest this will only affect GFL teams who often field 2 but would benefit the lower grades who struggle to put 1 team on the ground.
Controversial i know but would certainly help a lot of clubs and go a long way towards evening out the comp

Go Richo 12

Senior List
Oct 27, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
I would agree that change is required, i just think that their primary concern was to improve GFL at all costs, i would have liked to see the points system and salary cap have a few more years to really take affect but for it to truly work each club needed to have strong juniors so here is something to give some thought.
What if AFL Barwon was to introduce rules where no club was to permitted to field a second u/19 team until all 34 clubs are able to field a full team, lets be honest this will only affect GFL teams who often field 2 but would benefit the lower grades who struggle to put 1 team on the ground.
Controversial i know but would certainly help a lot of clubs and go a long way towards evening out the comp

I have been saying this for quite a while. Spread the player base around a little. The argument is that kids will be lost to the game if they miss out on a game at the their junior club but I can’t see how 20 odd top age 19’s players can graduate all at once into open age footy anyway. So they may lose them anyway.

Do any other country leagues allow multiple 3rds teams?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Swamp Dog

GDFL all knowing guru
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I have been saying this for quite a while. Spread the player base around a little. The argument is that kids will be lost to the game if they miss out on a game at the their junior club but I can’t see how 20 odd top age 19’s players can graduate all at once into open age footy anyway. So they may lose them anyway.

Do any other country leagues allow multiple 3rds teams?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sadly all it is doing is prolonging the inevitable, most kids that play in a 2nd string under 19 squad are probably unlikely to go on and play GFL1s anyway so they will almost certainly end up playing elsewhere if they want to play seniors or be happy to play twos footy or worst case scenario fall by the wayside just the same, as you said they can’t all fit into a single team so some will have to change at some stage

Fantastic Fox

Debutant
Sep 7, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
After the weekends results. Is anyone a legitimate threat to inverliegh? Or is it just their own goalkicking

Inverleighs only weakness is self doubt from its recent past record in final series games.
The best five teams over the course of the season have qualified for the finals, even though Werribee and Winchelsea had their moments in the sun during the H&A season.
Winchelsea and Werribee are both building in the correct fashion and will QUALIFY next year without doubt if they retain their coaches.
Prediction 1. The winner of the elimination final will make the preliminary final at the very least
Prediction 2. If BPH fail to make the GF , watch for a big intake/return of past players and high quality recruits to win one final premiership in 2019 as a legacy to finish the decade

Phantom35

Debutant
Jun 3, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why do Thomson have an extra 2 pts allowance on the back of two finals series?
To allow all their BFL recruits?

BPH playing at 29 points so room to bring in players. Although some guys like Moreland & Symes are 1 points.

Kick it forward

Senior List
Sep 4, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why do Thomson have an extra 2 pts allowance on the back of two finals series?
To allow all their BFL recruits?

BPH playing at 29 points so room to bring in players. Although some guys like Moreland & Symes are 1 points.

Yeah it's still a head scratcher how a team that finished 4th got 2 extra points.

Looking at thomsons points I don't think Brendan Wall should be 2 points. I think he won rokewoods BnF in 2016. He should've be 4 points in 2017 and 3 points in 2018. Thomson may have put in a submission to drop him down a point?

gdfl follower

Senior List
Jan 24, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Inverleighs only weakness is self doubt from its recent past record in final series games.
The best five teams over the course of the season have qualified for the finals, even though Werribee and Winchelsea had their moments in the sun during the H&A season.
Winchelsea and Werribee are both building in the correct fashion and will QUALIFY next year without doubt if they retain their coaches.
Prediction 1. The winner of the elimination final will make the preliminary final at the very least
Prediction 2. If BPH fail to make the GF , watch for a big intake/return of past players and high quality recruits to win one final premiership in 2019 as a legacy to finish the decade

I agree with inverliegh, I actually think the only team that can beat inverliegh will be bell post hill and there the only side inva wouldnt want to face in a grand final and would not have a worry against anyone else. Doubt Thomson or bph will go out in straight sets but who knows the comp is more even this year with geelong west and banno on their day.

If referring to more and and Symes as returning bph players that would be massive as recruits. Lovitt has left a big void for the panthers.

With point allocation does the clubs junior set up have anything to do with gaining extra points?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back