Game Day GDT(Round 15) Brisbane Lions vs Melbourne Demons, Gabba @ 15:20 AEST-The Overwhelming Pride

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s only boring because of our entry into / players up toward. We just seem to be such a weak contested marking team, and it’s felt like that for a while for me.
Yes, that's def one of them, Having all the same plodder types through the midfield isnt good viewing, especially when none of them can kick.

Oct 11, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Highly interpretational rules that are not only full of grey areas by the letter of the law, but are dictated to be enforced in entirely different ways from week to week, all while having to run 15+km per game, just to get a good view around the 36 players on the field at one time. There is no way anyone with a modicum of understanding of the game could ever call it "not that hard to umpire" ... there were some ordinary decisions there no doubt, punctuated by the push in the back against May, but that was much less a poor decision, as it is a poor interpretation of the rule across the board.
Well you used a big word there so I'll cave...

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The same problem in the backline occurs in our forward line too many blokes trying to take the mark No one stays down to win the ground balls. It's frustrating watching us play this handball happy game and when there is pressure we just blindly handball to the opposition. Just hold onto the ball even if it's a free. Why just give it back so easily when you can hold onto it and allow the players time to get back. To be honest the whole plan is a shmozzle. Clearly doesn't work hand ball into trouble and when the opposition get it they're already out in space to counter while our players are bunched up at the contest because the handballs barely gain any space. Anyway we all know the plan isn't working so no need to bang on about it.

We also don't crumb the ball, don't run and carry, don't take hangers, don't spread, don't kick well
I feel like crumbing is just about our biggest issue. Our forward line is full of capable marking players that all get in each others way. Need more crumbers if we arnt taking the grabs. Was an issue last year too the only difference was T Mac was in form taking 5 marks inside 50 a game.

Charlie_s123

Premium Platinum
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
It was 6.5 to 4.11 or something at half time, it was literally there poor kicking that kept us in it
Having had some time to think as I rode home on my bike ... and got a flat tire, it dawned on me that it’s a double edged sword (which I think I have probably seen covered here before). Our tough as s**t inside only game not only means we’re ****ed once the opposition get their hands on the ball, but it continues to * us through exertion throughout the game. Apologies if this is all common sense to everyone, I can be a little slow at times

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Having had some time to think as I rode home on my bike ... and got a flat tire, it dawned on me that it’s a double edged sword (which I think I have probably seen covered here before). Our tough as **** inside only game not only means we’re ****** once the opposition get their hands on the ball, but it continues to **** us through exertion throughout the game. Apologies if this is all common sense to everyone, I can be a little slow at times
On the contrary, if only our coaches were able to have such an epiphany

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
What’s sad is that not only did we lose, Brisbane have gone past us
And they are not the only ones. Carlton will show they're depth and trade skills (plying their trade of footy), next year. We desperately need to get back to the draft, to add more talent onto a still growing list.
We accidentally emerged to soon, last season.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
And they are not the only ones. Carlton will show they're depth and trade skills, next year. We desperately need to get back to the draft, to add more talent onto a still growing list.
We accidently emerged to soon, last season.
I don’t think you can emerge too soon, but Carlton could be four wins if they beat us next week with a better percentage. That’s absolutely dire.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I don’t think you can emerge too soon, but Carlton could be four wins if they beat us next week with a better percentage. That’s absolutely dire.
We haven’t had a spoon for a bit though, so it will be interesting to see how that works.

If we win the spoon Melbourne can set up a go fund me page to raise the money to pay out Goodwin.

Gary Pert would still remain tho, if we are setting up a go fund me it should be for Jacko/The wolf to return. He'll deal with Goodwin's contract, don't stress.

If we win the spoon Melbourne can set up a go fund me page to raise the money to pay out Goodwin.
Based on the money I have saved from not buying raffle tickets from the Club this year (I think I have scared them off from ringing me ever again!!) I would happily contribute to this fund.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Based on the money I have saved from not buying raffle tickets from the Club this year (I think I have scared them off from ringing me ever again!!) I would happily contribute to this fund.
In all seriousness though, we’ve got some serious issues. I mean we were top 4 last year and now we can’t even make the 8. Not only that we are a real chance of being below Carlton after this game and basically having the real probability of finishing last.

It’s as bad as Mark Neeld.

In all seriousness though, we’ve got some serious issues. I mean we were top 4 last year and now we can’t even make the 8. Not only that we are a real chance of being below Carlton after this game and basically having the real probability of finishing last.

It’s as bad as Mark Neeld.
I agree with you wholeheartedly, we risk becoming a basket case again unless some hard decisions are made.

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
"The ball was bouncing our way", with luck, in players health and form. We caught many teams off guard with our momentum. But we were un-able to maintain that momentum into this season, the preseason stuffed us.

Enter the 666 rules and changes, and we've been found out for the reasons most already new, about us. We lacked gut-run, and footskills with speed. The polish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back