News Gears Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Every time Gears stepped on the field you knew what you were going to get.

Nothing short of 110% effort each and every time.

The bloke was tough as nails and that game on Caleb Daniel in the 2020 EF will forever be etched in my memory.

Enjoy retirement Gears and I hope the club keeps you around in some capacity.

One of the toughest players I've seen pull on a St Kilda jumper and he was a great leader with his unrelenting commitment both on and off the field.

Unfortunately he was often too tough for his own good which caught up with him towards the end of his career and denied him the farewell he deserved.

There is no better example of a heart and soul player. He was a humble and genuine good person who could talk to the CEO and the guy in the street with the same lack of pretension and smile. Geary types are impossible to replace, he wasn't gifted natural superstar talent but he was a heart of a lion type who extracted every drop and brought others along with him. There isn't much emphasis placed on guys who get through their careers with earned respect and honour but there should be and Gears would be the face of it at our club.

He'll be missed. Apparently turned down a move to Geelong where he could have left the game with a possible medal and AFL immortality but chose to stick by his mates and try to get them there instead. Says everything anyone needs to know about him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i HOPE THERE is a position at St.Kilda for him. Would hate to see him snaffled up by another club, but the Saints dont have a history of looking after their past players I cant remember the last St.Kilda player who was offered an assistant coaching role at St.Kida, even greats like Robrt HARVEY, Lenny Hayes, were picked up be other clubs.

i HOPE THERE is a position at St.Kilda for him. Would hate to see him snaffled up by another club, but the Saints dont have a history of looking after their past players I cant remember the last St.Kilda player who was offered an assistant coaching role at St.Kida, even greats like Robrt HARVEY, Lenny Hayes, were picked up be other clubs.
I’d hope we don’t without any reason. Pretty sure Harvey was assistant. Lenny had zero interest.

Maybe like Robert Murphy at Freo, kind of culture and community type of role.

Its not a case of the Saints not looking after their past players, Geary has been there for 15 years for his own development it would be best for him to branch out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back