News Gears Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

This day comes for all, but very sad to see another great clubman move on.
You never died wondering with Gears - put his body on the line every time he played and often willed others across the line.

Heart and soul player for us and very much respected as a competitor who got everything he could out of himself.

Thanks and go well in your future endeavours, Gears.

This day comes for all, but very sad to see another great clubman move on.
You never died wondering with Gears - put his body on the line every time he played and often willed others across the line.

Heart and soul player for us and very much respected as a competitor who got everything he could out of himself.

Thanks and go well in your future endeavours, Gears.
I will be known as a big noter again but couldn’t give a stuff. A few players came to my house with the dietician and basically y had a cook off when he was first drafted as a rookie. They were marked by the dietician and wouldn’t believe how much effort he put into winning. I knew nothing about him then but if he wasn’t going to be a good footballer I knew he was going to be a good cook. Didn’t want to lose.

i HOPE THERE is a position at St.Kilda for him. Would hate to see him snaffled up by another club, but the Saints dont have a history of looking after their past players I cant remember the last St.Kilda player who was offered an assistant coaching role at St.Kida, even greats like Robrt HARVEY, Lenny Hayes, were picked up be other clubs.
Lenny wanted to go home and Harves wanted to experience other clubs I believe. Glad we never picked him as a coach, would have destroyed our relationship with a club legend.

Lenny wanted to go home and Harves wanted to experience other clubs I believe. Glad we never picked him as a coach, would have destroyed our relationship with a club legend.
After being with the club so long he would know every sort of game plan that has been ever used playing under so many coaches , he would be better going to another environment and use his knowledge to help in succeed at his new club.

Getting players from other systems would be good for the coaches to get information on game styles and plan even though it might be out of date.

Geary is one of the toughest players in the game and whatever he decides to do he will succeed because he has the determination.

But to me we need fresh ideas.

The bloke was drafted at pick 58 in the rookie draft there have been very few players to play 200 games that late in a draft. But Geary did it
The bloke gave this club more then 100% and then had the task of captaining a club after Nick Riewoldt and he did the job well.
The bloke is one of the few players to play 200 games for a single club.

Geary was a great clubman, the player that is the cult hero of a club. Rest up and enjoy the post playing days Geary

Hugely respected and admired, well done Gears.

Looked back through his record and noticed he played 19 games in 2010 (including rounds 18-22). Can anybody recall if he was dropped for the Geelong QF or injured? Just curious.

If you look back at the highlights of that 2009 year, Geary was a goal scorer... his highest number of goals for his career. A couple of his goal from 50m showed what a great kick he was.

Was a shame he didn't get a run in the 2009 finals as he was flying that year.

If you look back at the highlights of that 2009 year, Geary was a goal scorer... his highest number of goals for his career. A couple of his goal from 50m showed what a great kick he was.

Was a shame he didn't get a run in the 2009 finals as he was flying that year.

After checking afltables to validate my recollection, Geary had a very quiet day v Geelong in Round 14 2009, after playing every game that year up to that point. He only played one more game after that, when everyone was rested v Hawthorn in Tasmania. I think Ross put a line through him for 2009 as far as finals were concerned after that Geelong game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back