Gee I love Denis sometimes!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlos

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2001
Beneath the blue & white
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He might frustrate me sometimes, and has been responsible for some of the greatest things ever to happen in my life, but he has just summed it up so perfectly this time.

In response to Graham McMahone's comments:
“If you start arguing with fools - soon people can’t tell the difference”.

Full article:
McMahon irresponsible: Roos
5:08:09 PM Thu 9 May, 2002
Paul Gough
afl.com.au

The Kangaroos today described Essendon chairman Graeme McMahon’s comments that the club could be “absolutely dead” within three years as “completely irresponsible.”

While Roos’ officials were reluctant to get into a public slanging match with the outspoken Bombers boss, they are furious with McMahon again bringing into question the club’s immediate AFL future just as the club was beginning to turn around its off-field fortunes in the wake of the Wayne Carey scandal.

A senior Kangaroos official accused McMahon of “big-noting” and warned the Essendon boss that “his day will come” adding that football was a fickle business in which the fortunes of clubs could change very quickly.

“His (McMahon’s) comments are completely irresponsible,” the official said.

“To talk about another club like that so irresponsibly just does so much damage.”

Later at training at Arden Street - Kangaroos coach Denis Pagan also strongly criticised McMahon saying his attitude towards his comments could be summed up in one quote.

“If you start arguing with fools - soon people can’t tell the difference,” Pagan said.

McMahon told the Herald-Sun that he believed two AFL clubs – the Kangaroos and the Western Bulldogs – would struggle to see out the life of the league’s new television deal over the next five years.

And while saying the Bombers supported the emergency funding package available to struggling clubs, he said the money would not save the likes of the Kangaroos and the Bulldogs before singling out the Kangaroos for being particularly vulnerable.

“If they don’t get people through the gate then they are absolutely dead,” he said of the Roos.

“I don’t think you are looking at five years. I think you are looking at three.”

However the senior Kangaroos official said McMahon’s view of the club’s future was in direct contrast to that of the AFL’s.

“The AFL’s consultants’ (who recently reviewed the Roos’ financial position) believes there is a bright future for the Kangaroos,” he said.

“And you are going to believe them before you believe a bloke who is big-noting himself.”

McMahon also questioned the decision of the Kangaroos to play some home games interstate saying it only encouraged their members to watch games on television and not buy club memberships.

However the Roos maintain that they have always consulted their members before any such moves and thus they have the full backing of club’s members and it was McMahon’s questioning of the Roos’ fans commitment to the club that most angered Pagan.

“Obviously he doesn’t understand the people that support the Kangaroos and what the Kangaroos have done,” he said.

“He really doesn’t understand the true Shinboner spirit and I think that’s disappointing.”

“They (the Roos supporters) are loyal and have stuck with us through thick and thin and I am certainly very pleased to have that group of people come to our games each week.”

The Roos have suffered losses of about $2 million over the past two years but have recently announced a lucrative new sponsorship deal with trade exchange company E-Banc as well as announcing the club will be based at Colonial Stadium from next year.

However McMahon said that even if the Kangaroos and the Bulldogs are given up to $5 million both through their share of the sale of Waverley Park and the emergency assistance money – it would not be enough to guarantee their futures.

“Look at the rate of their (financial) losses of last year,” he said.

“Giving them money won’t fix (their) long-term problems.”

It is in times like this that it is so important we have a true NORTH MELBOURNE person at the helm of our Club. Denis frustrates hell out of me sometimes but you can never doubt his love for the Club. He sounds like one of us nuffy supporters the way he gets upset by things like this.

Originally posted by Rooboy 96
I must be just easily pleased or something... as he never frustrates me and I just love the bloke...

I'm thinking the exact same thing RB, he never frustrates me - I would be devastated if he left...........

Originally posted by Carlos

In response to Graham McMahone's comments:
“If you start arguing with fools - soon people can’t tell the difference”.

A beautiful quote. It ranks right up their with the testicle one.

I love it. It has made my day.

Re: Re: Gee I love Denis sometimes!!

Originally posted by choppy

A beautiful quote. It ranks right up their with the testicle one.

I love it. It has made my day.

Aaaah I have been looking for a Pagan quote to add to the Keegan one on my sig.

Moomba

Re: Re: Re: Gee I love Denis sometimes!!

Originally posted by moomba

Aaaah I have been looking for a Pagan quote to add to the Keegan one on my sig.

Moomba

Doh, Roobear beat me to it. Oh well, I'll just have to see what Denis says about the 10 goal flogging of the Weagles.

Moomba

I'm like you Rooboy 96, I love the bloke. He always has a slant that often makes others look silly and none sillier than McMahon.

I wish we had have had Denis at Fitzroy (along with a few other Rooboys), we might have still been going around.

And he's given me the best day of my life, the last day of September 1999.

pagan has warned him

good to see denis quote that one i also like what he said about mcmahon not feeling so comftable and smug as it dosnt take to long to for something like this to turn around and bite your club on the bum/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hadn't heard Pagan's quote until now and I really love it! Great to see the administrators of our club hold their heads with dignity and intelligence not to get drawn into such a purile argument.

McMahon will live to regret these words

It's pretty easy for an Essendon official to state how he feels about the state of affairs at North.

It's the same crapolla you hear from Crow fans (in particular) , not so much the Port variety over here in Adelaide.

They pout , "Why should we prop up inefficient , poorly managed clubs?"

They simply do not understand .

If the boot was on the other foot they would more than likely be squeeling more than us.

Essendon will not have to go through what we have all endured and will endure for the time to come.

At least our team has taken the bit by the teeth and won 2 flags with a bit of guts and determination .

Essendon have been the glamour boys but have in reality delivered little.

Not satisfied with the arrogance of complaining about 96 and 99 Prelim defeats......"and If only we won those prelims'..... We handed those flags to North.etc etc etc "

Essendon's head man feels the need to tell all about the state of play with the Roos and Dogs.

Well read this you black and red muvva!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Years 1996 and 1999 will burn in Essendon's guts for eternity and they will never take the sweetness of those Premiership wins away from The NORTH MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB.

VICTORY DEMANDS DEDICATION.

The real story

If there is any one thing that I truly detest about Essendon it is their continuing efforts to divert attention away from their players when their team is on the ropes.

The fact is that right now I would think that Hawthorn have probably moved into the position of best to challenge Bris for the flag. Maybe equal with Port. The Bombers could well be facing the end of a truly magnificent dominant era. This week they are under the pump probably more than they have been for the past three seasons ( last years gf excluded) and so what does the club do ...... divert attention.

Make no mistake, the jousts that Sheeds has had with numerous football identities, players and the AFL has been for an alternative reason more than the issue at hand.

Only this time McMahon has used us as a scapegoat, which shows the lack of polish in the man, and lack of true footy identity. Even Sheeds would never have used a battling club.

McMahon will pay severely.

Well done to Ron Joseph for also using the Ansett jibe the way he did. I have always felt very appreciative that we have Denis Pagan. He is North Melbourne and I love his wit !!!!

hotham :)

The thing is we know we are in trouble financially and our list isn't as strong as it has been. That is no sleight on the Club as it was pretty strong not so long ago. And we are certainly competitive at the moment and appear to have a talented group of kids coming thru.
But we don't need to hear what we already know - particularly when it is exaggerated like he has done here.
What I would like to know is, how would he like it if everyone approached him, or wrote in the paper, that he was fat and ugly. He knows it, we know it, but does it have to be put into a public forum? So if anyone sees the fat fu(ker in the street ask him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back