Catsmaninamerica

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
Cloud break
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cricket, Surfing
Stanley reminded us all tonight just why chris Scott was forced to play Blicavs in the ruck against Collingwood in the finals. He’s incredibly unreliable. His best is great. His worst is pitiful. He has the intensity of a wet lettuce at times and yet will occasionally split a pack. And then there’s the midfield. For all the whining about constable, he was no saviour tonight. He’s slow and still doesn’t defend enough for my liking. Atkins works hard but he’s just not clean or polished enough for my liking. And he’s mid 20’s so what he shows now is what he’s got.

we honestly need to bite the bullet and start playing Ratugolea as our first ruckman. Jenkins as the second tall forward and let Stanley sit in the VFL. If there’s an emergency, we break that glass.

and as for the midfield. Narkle showed a bit tonight, but s**t we missed Selwood, Steven (hopefully) Parfitt, Duncan and daft I say it, a fit cockatoo. Parfitt and cockatoo tackle with aggression and run hard both ways. As does Selwood, and steven is lightning quick.

It's a preseason game FFS!

yes it was a preseason game. But when players - like Stanley - show they same stuff they’ve shown for several seasons, dont you turn around and go “ok enough now”

Fort is a great example. again, nature aged. He’s over a year into being full Time. And he continues to be s**t. He was s**t all year last year. He’s nearly 7 foot tall, but just doesn’t play like a senior footballer. And last night he showed more of the same. Time to understand that players who will always generally continue to give you what they have always shown you.

I thought Fort showed he's taken a step forward and while he's not great, at least he has a crack. Our midfield looks like it might be in trouble this season without Kelly though.

he has a crack. But he’s slow, both in his decision making and his actual pace. He doesn’t command the ball as a forward. He’s just a body to contest. The issue they have is that everyone knows that Stanley’s best is light years better thanFort could ever dream of. But Stanley’s worst is more insipid than Forts effort at least. So what do you do? At least Ratugolea will run all day, jump all day and plays with aggression. If the kid wants to Ruck - and they say he does - give him the spot. Tell him it’s his to lose. Jenkins showed * all as a key forward last night - which to be honest - is what he’s shown for years. He’s essentially a 6ft6 forward pocket who can help out in the ruck. So let him get his joe the gooses, and relieve sav rat. And then play an extra mid instead of Stanley.

Stanley reminded us all tonight just why chris Scott was forced to play Blicavs in the ruck against Collingwood in the finals. He’s incredibly unreliable. His best is great. His worst is pitiful. He has the intensity of a wet lettuce at times and yet will occasionally split a pack. And then there’s the midfield. For all the whining about constable, he was no saviour tonight. He’s slow and still doesn’t defend enough for my liking. Atkins works hard but he’s just not clean or polished enough for my liking. And he’s mid 20’s so what he shows now is what he’s got.

we honestly need to bite the bullet and start playing Ratugolea as our first ruckman. Jenkins as the second tall forward and let Stanley sit in the VFL. If there’s an emergency, we break that glass.

and as for the midfield. Narkle showed a bit tonight, but s**t we missed Selwood, Steven (hopefully) Parfitt, Duncan and daft I say it, a fit cockatoo. Parfitt and cockatoo tackle with aggression and run hard both ways. As does Selwood, and steven is lightning quick.
Really? you are going to somehow chalk up a practise game between our two best ruckman as a reason why our 3rd best ruckman and full back should of played ruck instead of both in a final?

The mind logic is baffling.

he has a crack. But he’s slow, both in his decision making and his actual pace. He doesn’t command the ball as a forward. He’s just a body to contest. The issue they have is that everyone knows that Stanley’s best is light years better thanFort could ever dream of. But Stanley’s worst is more insipid than Forts effort at least. So what do you do? At least Ratugolea will run all day, jump all day and plays with aggression. If the kid wants to Ruck - and they say he does - give him the spot. Tell him it’s his to lose. Jenkins showed fu** all as a key forward last night - which to be honest - is what he’s shown for years. He’s essentially a 6ft6 forward pocket who can help out in the ruck. So let him get his joe the gooses, and relieve sav rat. And then play an extra mid instead of Stanley.
Tall forwards never do well in the first practise game of the season. Always take a few games to get going. Read nothing into their performances at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a relatively ugly reality, for sure.

But, if they are not prepared to throw Rata in there (who could be anything in that role, despite his obvious prowess up forward as well), they simply must stay the course with Rhys. He is miles ahead of the next best option at the club. Which is damning him with the very faintest of praise, I know.

So, the 2020 ruck philosophy must be as simple as:

Plan A - play Rhys
Plan B - play Rhys
Plan C - see plan A

Posters here will suggest that we're looking very ordinary in there if that's the strategy. Which might be the case.

For me, though, it's even more the case that we will struggle to even be ordinary in the ruck if they mess with it beyond that.

Fort is not the answer to any question that playing in the AFL is currently asking. And the options beyond that don't bear thinking about in any way.

Lock. Rhys. In.

But, if they are not prepared to throw Rata in there (who could be anything in that role, despite his obvious prowess up forward as well), they simply must stay the course with Rhys. He is miles ahead of the next best option at the club. Which is damning him with the very faintest of praise, I know.

Plan A - play Rhys
Plan B - play Rhys
Plan C - see plan A

Posters here will suggest that we're looking very ordinary in there if that's the strategy. Which might be the case.

For me, though, it's even more the case that we will struggle to even be ordinary in the ruck if they mess with it beyond that.

Fort is not the answer to any question that playing in the AFL is currently asking. And the options beyond that don't bear thinking about in any way.

Lock. Rhys. In.
It would appear this is correct.

Plan A - play Rhys
Plan B - play Rhys
Plan C - see plan A

Lock. Rhys. In.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this, but am a little torn too.

It starts with my belief that a forward structure of Hawkins, Jenkins and Sav will be too cumbersome and won't work.

So that gets me to wondering about putting Sav in the ruck..... He has a leap, and could improve the quality of supply to our mids.

If that happens, do they then get the ball up forward quicker, where Hawkins and Jenkins are lurking?

It's a strategy that I'd genuinely like to see trialled for a couple of consecutive games......but yeah, if they won't do that then Stanley, and no one but Stanley.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this, but am a little torn too.

It starts with my belief that a forward structure of Hawkins, Jenkins and Sav will be too cumbersome and won't work.

So that gets me to wondering about putting Sav in the ruck..... He has a leap, and could improve the quality of supply to our mids.

If that happens, do they then get the ball up forward quicker, where Hawkins and Jenkins are lurking?

It's a strategy that I'd genuinely like to see trialled for a couple of consecutive games......but yeah, if they won't do that then Stanley, and no one but Stanley.
Need Sav forward. Always creates a contest and brings ball to ground.
Can't really rely on other big forwards to do that. (In any team)
Big part of our success last year IMO. Despite low stats.

Need Sav forward. Always creates a contest and brings ball to ground.
Can't really rely on other big forwards to do that. (In any team)
Big part of our success last year IMO. Despite low stats.

no point having sav forward if we’re being molested in the midfield. Throw the kid into
The ruck. Apparently He’s frothing to
Play there as opposed to forward. He’s big and can jump and he’ll keep whoever he plays against honest.
Unlike Stanley you KNOW sav will give yoi
100% every week. And as old mate said in a previous post, hawkins Jenkins and sav is too big for the one forward line. And you have Freddy lurking for games as well.

Plan A - play Rhys
Plan B - play Rhys
Plan C - see plan A

Lock. Rhys. In.
Plan b for the coaches is blicavs. After 6 years are we still in denial about plan b?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back