Geelong - 0 Grand Final appearances from their last 7 finals series

Remove this Banner Ad

7 isn't really that rare.

Crows made the finals 11 times after 1998 without making the GF before breaking through in 2017.
North's current streak is at 9.
Essendon are at 7.
Carlton are at 6.
Dees are at 5.

2013, 2014 and 2016 they under-performed. 2012 and 2018 they had no chance. 2017 they were the worst team in the top 4 and never looked likely.

Some might argue the Cats over achieve because of their home ground advantage during the season.

Regardless, I don't think it is smart for the coach to campaign for home finals during the actual season... sends the wrong message to the players and indicates the coach believes the MCG is a problem.

Since 2012 Geelong have made finals 7 times and not made the Grand Final once. Most of those also being top 2 finishes. How many times in history has this happened to before?

Is the current Geelong team actually one of the worst performing teams in the leagues history? Despite their ladder finish. I can't think of many teams who've failed to make a Grand Final after 7 cracks.

The coach appears at times very arrogant. Despite being a H&A god has he really earned that right? Should Geelong only be rated when they make a Grand Final?

Adelaide had 11 finals series between grand finals appearances- 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2015, 2016.

Truly we are the bench mark for mediocrity.

The problem is this actually isn't classic Geelong. Geelong 2007-2011 were nothing like this. So what happened? Without being to harsh is it fair to say this is Chris Scotts brand? We did have the same list up until 2013 and also recruited Danger making it very hard to argue our list grew old and our window simply ended
I mean since the cats crossed over from the VFA...hasn't exactly been a great move.

The reason they keep making the finals is their massive home ground advantage. Think yourselves lucky.
It’s not massive. 11 home games at GMHBA would come close to big. If we win our remaining home games that will account for 8 wins out of 16

Does that alarming stat means it's the return of the Geelong handbags???

Seriously,I think the Kardina Park home ground advantage actually masks some of Geelong's deficiencies and they probably finished higher on the ladder than what their talent and experience actually is.

I actually suspext playing more games in Kardinia Park has affected Geelong's ability to win in September, especially at the G.
Maybe what it’s done is mask the fact that since 2011 we have simply not been good enough

It’s not massive. 11 home games at GMHBA would come close to big. If we win our remaining home games that will account for 8 wins out of 16
It's not the quantity of games you play there that's the massive advantage it's the shape of the ground.

Don't know but at the opposite end of the spectrum was Hawks 83-89 seven GF's in a row.

Just a quick reminder about the greatest team in the history of the game;)

Slow afternoon but a lazy 350 odd wins from 71 to 91 I make it. 302 featuring Michael tuck

Does that alarming stat means it's the return of the Geelong handbags???

I know your trying to get a rise out of our fans but I am someone who believes this is exactly the glaring concern that we currently face.
There are upwards of 6 starters who really dislike the physicality side of the game. They are very entertaining when the team is up and about but if it's a crunch match, they give their all for a half and then put up the white flag with too much time left in a game.
I understand our supporters hate that comment but it's something that has lingered with this group since Chris Scott was appointed coach.

I think back to the team of the 80's and 90 and we had the usual tough nuts who were always in first when a brawl erupted, Stoneham, Neal, Ablett, Bews, Yeates, Bruns, Bourke. And then you had the other types who wanted no part of it.
Unfortunately with this current team, I struggle to see any players other than Selwood and Dangerfield who crave the crash and bash style of game such as finals matches. Dahlhaus doesn't mind get his fingers dirty for four quarters but who else on our list does it?

The problem is this actually isn't classic Geelong. Geelong 2007-2011 were nothing like this. So what happened?

Perhaps their 2007-2011 squads were just better than their 2012-2018 squads, or there was a bigger gulf between the best and worst teams in the earlier period.

It certainly seems like the league is more even now than it was during that earlier era. From 2008-2014, at least two teams won 17+ H&A games every year (four teams won 17+ in 2011), and there were some historically poor teams and new teams which may have skewed the results and gave the big boys some easier wins than today's bottom four would/do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since 2012 Geelong have made finals 7 times and not made the Grand Final once. Most of those also being top 2 finishes. How many times in history has this happened to before?

Is the current Geelong team actually one of the worst performing teams in the leagues history? Despite their ladder finish. I can't think of many teams who've failed to make a Grand Final after 7 cracks.

The coach appears at times very arrogant. Despite being a H&A god has he really earned that right? Should Geelong only be rated when they make a Grand Final?
6 times in finals and 3 times top 2.

You’d expect to make the gf at least once from that lot.

IIT Hawthorn supporters having a field day self fellating.

Geelong seem to run out of steam over the season, maybe the workload is not managed well come seasons end? All this 'talk' of increased finals preparation training while playing week to week right now seems silly when they players will end up run down and more prone for injury.

Playing and losing after a bye must be down to poor preparation, motivation. They should play a full intraclub game for the bye to keep match ready/fit.

It's not particularly uncommon as others have pointed out.

In fairness to Geelong, during the 2012 to 2015 period there was at least one better side in all of those finals campaigns.

In 2017 you came up against a red hot Richmond and Adelaide sides, who were the eventual Grand Finalists.

If you disregard 1994 & 2005, in the interim years West Coast made 8 from 10 finals series: W2 | W2 | W2 | W1 | W2 | DNQ | DNQ | EF
| EF | EF

2-10 and no prelims

Seems to be the coach more than anything but Selwood also doesn’t have the back-up onfield that Ling and Harley had with blokes like Scarlett, Chapman, Rooke, Mooney etc.

Flash team in full flight but don’t seem to like the argey bargey very much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back