Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Since 2012 Geelong have made finals 7 times and not made the Grand Final once. Most of those also being top 2 finishes. How many times in history has this happened to before?

Is the current Geelong team actually one of the worst performing teams in the leagues history? Despite their ladder finish. I can't think of many teams who've failed to make a Grand Final after 7 cracks.

The coach appears at times very arrogant. Despite being a H&A god has he really earned that right? Should Geelong only be rated when they make a Grand Final?

Last edited:

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Since 2012 Geelong have made finals 7 times and not made the Grand Final once. Most of those also being top 2 finishes. How many other clubs has this actually happened to before?

Is the current Geelong team actually one of the worst performing teams in the leagues history? Despite their ladder finish. I can't think of many teams who've failed to make a Grand Final after 7 cracks.

The coach is very smug and arrogant. Despite being a H&A god has he really earned that right? Should Geelong only be rated when they make a Grand Final?
Classic Geelong.

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Classic Geelong.

The problem is this actually isn't classic Geelong. Geelong 2007-2011 were nothing like this. So what happened? Without being to harsh is it fair to say this is Chris Scotts brand? We did have the same list up until 2013 and also recruited Danger making it very hard to argue our list grew old and our window simply ended

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Don't know but at the opposite end of the spectrum was Hawks 83-89 seven GF's in a row.

Just a quick reminder about the greatest team in the history of the game;)

An amazing feat but I can see why that happened. No salary cap back then and like Carltons 1995 you can't see them winning any of those flags now. All the players paid under the table were BOG in their respective Grand Finals.

I can't see why Geelong can't make a Grand Final though with the list they've had and having 7 opportunities. It's hard to see any team with any list not making a GF after 7 chances.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The problem is this actually isn't classic Geelong. Geelong 2007-2011 were nothing like this. So what happened? Without being to harsh is it fair to say this is Chris Scotts brand? We did have the same list up until 2013 and also recruited Danger making it very hard to argue our list grew old and our window simply ended

At the end of 2011 Brad Ottens and Cameron Ling retired and we lost the impact in finals of big bodied, ferocious tacklers in the centre square.

Since 2011 we have had average rucks, no tagger of that quality and have usually lost the clearances, leaving it all to either Selwood or Dangerfield to solo the clearances. In finals reliance on individual players is detrimental and opposition coaches put time and effort into nullifying them.

In the H&A season we can get away with losing clearances and coming off halfback, in finals that trickery gets found out. Hence outstanding H&A side, below average finals performers. My criticism of Scott (and Wells) post 2011 is not understanding how important those two roles were and not making any decent effort to replace them. Ottens>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Stanley, Zac Smith, other gumbies. We tried to replace Ling with Scott Selwood........

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Lot's of self loathing in this thread.

Not really loathing. I don't like how we're seen as constantly good, Chris Scott master coach etc. The club probably needs a wakeup call the players have never been hungry enough particularly against bottom teams and during finals. The club knows everyone in the AFL thinks it's top s**t. If they were seen as a 8-10th placed club there would be more hunger and less lazy games.

It's not a skill/poor list issue it's a motivation issue and the bye thing is absolutely ridiculous. They can't have a week off and come back like a professional team like the other 17 sides. Extremely unprofessional

A lot of your players wilt under extreme pressure, and those who don't have suspect skills. The ONLY two you guys can trust to stand up when pressure is on AND be clean is Selwood and Kelly.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Since 2012 Geelong have made finals 7 times and not made the Grand Final once. Most of those also being top 2 finishes. How many other clubs has this actually happened to before?

The coach is very smug and arrogant. Despite being a H&A god has he really earned that right? Should Geelong only be rated when they make a Grand Final?
North in the nineties?

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
It will be tough to swallow if they fail to get to the big dance again this year. Their 5th top 3 position incoming in 7 years...

6th (eliminated at home by FREO), 2nd (beaten in Victoria AGAIN by lower ranked Freo), 3rd (straight sets), 10th, 2nd, 2nd, 8th (eliminated by MELBOURNE), 1st*

I like Chris though, seems an emotionally intelligent fellow.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Since 2012 Geelong have made finals 7 times and not made the Grand Final once. Most of those also being top 2 finishes. How many times in history has this happened to before?

The coach appears at times very arrogant. Despite being a H&A god has he really earned that right? Should Geelong only be rated when they make a Grand Final?
The reason they keep making the finals is their massive home ground advantage. Think yourselves lucky.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Does that alarming stat means it's the return of the Geelong handbags???

Seriously,I think the Kardina Park home ground advantage actually masks some of Geelong's deficiencies and they probably finished higher on the ladder than what their talent and experience actually is.

I actually suspext playing more games in Kardinia Park has affected Geelong's ability to win in September, especially at the G.

Kavliaris69

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2011
"A Little Left of Heaven"
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nothing has happened. Chris Scott declared it was “mission accomplished” when belted by Hawks in August 2014. Seems like not much has changed with Scott and his philosophy on losing for success. No winning culture at Kardinia that’s the problem.

By the way, that Hawks team went on to win 2 more flags. Now that is what I call “mission accomplished”.😉

Back