FurTheWin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
Amongst the pigeons
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Banshees
Don’t watch them enough to pinpoint exactly. Cats fans, what is happening?

Lack of forward structure over the past few seasons, with Menzel, Cockatoo and McCarthy constantly injured
If you want a top quality ruckman you'll need an early pick then spend 3 seasons developing the kid, hoping he'll live up to expectations
And we always seem to have one middie too many
Too many cooks...

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think Selwood has been a pillar of strength and hardness for Geelong. To knock him and his output is pretty rich. In fact downright thick. Guy has been the heart and soul of Geelong for so long. What more can he give?
Not back biting at the opposition and umpires when things aren’t going his way would be a start. Finals get a lot harder, free kicks rarer, and he suffers due to the latter. A man who milks free kicks as a method of winning a hard ball will find finals a lot tougher going, and this is true of his whole career.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not back biting at the opposition and umpires when things aren’t going his way would be a start. Finals get a lot harder, free kicks rarer, and he suffers due to the latter. A man who milks free kicks as a method of winning a hard ball will find finals a lot tougher going, and this is true of his whole career.
He doesn’t milk free kicks to win the hardball mate. He puts his head over it and gets smashed. If you’re going to keep buying into the ‘duck wood’ story then you should probably be recognising that he is and has been Geelong’s most important player for years. Kelly more so now.

You don’t play as long as he has and played with the intensity he has without being a hard and good footballer. He gets frustrated because his peers often let themselves down when it matters in big finals. Dangerfield in particular.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
He doesn’t milk free kicks to win the hardball mate. He puts his head over it and gets smashed. If you’re going to keep buying into the ‘duck wood’ story then you should probably be recognising that he is and has been Geelong’s most important player for years. Kelly more so now.

You don’t play as long as he has and played with the intensity he has without being a hard and good footballer. He gets frustrated because his peers often let themselves down when it matters in big finals. Dangerfield in particular.
Fyfe is a far better contested ball winner than Selwood, never cops the head contact Selwood does. Why? Because he goes in with the intent to clear the ball, not to win the free. Selwood puts his head over the ball because he knows he gets protected.

But the protection disappears come finals. Umpires pay a far fewer frees, and the better teams give away far fewer. Then Selwood spends the game whinging at umpires that he isn’t being protected with that scowl on his face.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Fyfe is a far better contested ball winner than Selwood, never cops the head contact Selwood does. Why? Because he goes in with the intent to clear the ball, not to win the free. Selwood puts his head over the ball because he knows he gets protected.

But the protection disappears come finals. Umpires pay a far fewer frees, and the better teams give away far fewer. Then Selwood spends the game whinging at umpires that he isn’t being protected with that scowl on his face.
As I said mate, if Geelong had other players stand up in big moments he wouldn’t have to go in like a mad campaigner all the time.

Hoops

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
Are you saying Selwood suffers in finals. His performance in finals would say otherwise

OneEyedHawk

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 13, 2004
Ringwood East
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Don't know what you're talking about...

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
There’s a good chance Selwood is in terminal decline. Could see his end being very rapid. He’s 31, played 289 games thanks to so many finals and no major injuries.

Not the type of player to extend his career by playing in other positions, and never the fastest player. Reckon he could be down again next year then retired.

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
There’s a good chance Selwood is in terminal decline. Could see his end being very rapid. He’s 31, played 289 games thanks to so many finals and no major injuries.

Not the type of player to extend his career by playing in other positions, and never the fastest player. Reckon he could be down again next year then retired.

He's got a contract until the end of 2021. I think that'll see him out.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets

This year Geelong have done well in giving him a less prominent role in their midfield, he's taken a back seat to Kelly essentially.

IMO he's still got some big games left in the tank.

It reminds me bit of what Hawthorn did during the premiership years - Hodge, Burgoyne in particular and to a lesser extent Mitchell and Lewis played less in the middle. But come the big finals they were lining up in the centre.

I'm not sure where he would be most effective though in the meantime, can he really play off the HFF?

Fyfe is 2nd overall for average free kicks this season. Selwood is 19th.

Statistically Selwood is an absoloute gun finals player. Has been BOG in or close to it in 13 of his 26 finals.

Don't confuse passion with whinging. I'm sure if Selwood smiled and laughed when decisions didn't go his way you'd give him flak for it too. Players are allowed to be passionate and competitive. Its a competitive sport.
This year Geelong have done well in giving him a less prominent role in their midfield, he's taken a back seat to Kelly essentially.

IMO he's still got some big games left in the tank.

It reminds me bit of what Hawthorn did during the premiership years - Hodge, Burgoyne in particular and to a lesser extent Mitchell and Lewis played less in the middle. But come the big finals they were lining up in the centre.

I'm not sure where he would be most effective though in the meantime, can he really play off the HFF?
He played out of the forward line a bit in 2013 and 2014. He doesn't have typical small forward tricks or speed but he does play an undersized leading forward well at times. I think he'll see out his career as he has this season, playing on the wing with the occasional centre bounce attendance.

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
He played out of the forward line a bit in 2013 and 2014. He doesn't have typical small forward tricks or speed but he does play an undersized leading forward well at times. I think he'll see out his career as he has this season, playing on the wing with the occasional centre bounce attendance.

He was good overhead he’d catch players out. If he played forward and got a proper defender on him he’d be nullified completely since he doesn’t have the speed needed for a small forward and not as good overhead anymore.

Playing him on a wing going forward will be a mistake. To slow, doesn’t cover the ground good wingers do, and doesn’t really hurt with a penetrating kick.

His career is definitely winding down quickly.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
It’s wrong because you don’t agree with it, which is purely opinion based. It doesn’t make it ‘wrong’ it makes your opinion differ.

In the EF against Melbourne last year we tagged Selwood. Dangerfield had no tag and managed to do nothing. Had we let Selwood off the hook he’d have been far more damaging. It’s pointless arguing with you anyway, you’ve got your mind made up.

Interesting that Wojcinski produced the stat for Fyfe being second for free kicks and Selwood 19th. If you get to the footy first you’ll get rewarded. Have you never heard that?

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’s wrong because you don’t agree with it, which is purely opinion based. It doesn’t make it ‘wrong’ it makes your opinion differ.

In the EF against Melbourne last year we tagged Selwood. Dangerfield had no tag and managed to do nothing. Had we let Selwood off the hook he’d have been far more damaging. It’s pointless arguing with you anyway, you’ve got your mind made up.

Interesting that Wojcinski produced the stat for Fyfe being second for free kicks and Selwood 19th. If you get to the footy first you’ll get rewarded. Have you never heard that?
Fyfe gets holding frees, not high tackle frees. Selwood puts himself in a position to deliberately win those frees.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Fyfe gets holding frees, not high tackle frees. Selwood puts himself in a position to deliberately win those frees.
It’s pretty obvious that Selwood has a technique to shrug out of a tackle, if his opposition haven’t worked out to tackle him by pinning his arms and holding on hard enough to allow him to escape then that’s their problem.

Could the Cat's game not work as well on the wider MCG?

2012 - MCG (Home) - Defeated by Fremantle
2013 - MCG (Away) - Defeated by Hawthorn
2014 - MCG (Home) - Defeated by North
2015 - no finals
2016 - MCG (Home) - Defeated by Sydney
2017 - Adelaide Oval - Defeated by Adelaide
2018 - MCG (Away) - Defeated by Melbourne

What and Hawthorn never had Rioli and Puopolo playing for frees?
Mate, seriously one has about 3000 free kicks to his name for high tackles, the other 2 would be lucky to have a quarter of that between them.

You can't seriously ignore the amount of free kicks Selwood gets, and the amount of complaining he does to the umpires.....and I say this as someone who thinks he's a champion, who's had a better career than much feted Judd.

afl genius

Club Legend
May 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers
We have one of if not the worst coach in the comp, those stats are actually a good effort considering this. We also have a lot of downhill skiers who go missing in finals

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Mate, seriously one has about 3000 free kicks to his name for high tackles, the other 2 would be lucky to have a quarter of that between them.

You can't seriously ignore the amount of free kicks Selwood gets, and the amount of complaining he does to the umpires.....and I say this as someone who thinks he's a champion, who's had a better career than much feted Judd.
Why don’t people tackle Selwood properly?

I can't remember for the life of me a time where I have unironically lambasted a player for cracking the shits on field when a decision doesn't go his way. I'm obviously bias here, but I can't understand why it is such a big problem that Selwood does it? Heaps of players do it. Lots of them do it all the time too. They're playing AFL, they're competitive people. Why single out Selwood?

Back