Review Geelong 112 defeat Port 91 and the "curse of the bye"

Remove this Banner Ad

You say that like I hadn't already thrown away my toys.
And there were plenty of Port supporters near me who were calling the game at that stage too. They were strangely quite only a few minutes later 😄.

giphy.gif

Just asked the question. Is this the same level to what he produced at hawks or is it better now? Didn’t say he was poor or anything. Best 22 yes…
Fair enough. To be honest I can't answer that. I struggle to identify opposition role players.
I focus too much on what we are doing.

I do remember when we stupidly played Blicavs on smith and smith ripped him a new one.

I was more worried about age, desire, stamina and any possible loss of speed.
Not anymore.

It will be interesting to see if we give him a break in a month or so.
It would be nice to ask a Hawks supporter but they don't seem to like us :D

Fair enough. To be honest I can't answer that. I struggle to identify opposition role players.
I focus too much on what we are doing.

I do remember when we stupidly played Blicavs on smith and smith ripped him a new one.

I was more worried about age, desire, stamina and any possible loss of speed.
Not anymore.

It will be interesting to see if we give him a break in a month or so.
It would be nice to ask a Hawks supporter but they don't seem to like us :D
He is tracking just about on par with his peak years this season. A very good return from Smith. We are getting overs from him, imo.

Higgins decision making is outstanding- He targets players in great position. Issue is that he seems to "just" miss them a fair bit of the time :/
He's actually not a great kick. He seems balanced enough when he strikes the ball, but just misses targets.

Two goals, eight points for the season; the misses have been very gettable.

He's just a bit too old and struggling with an ailing body ... I'd prefer we got some games into our younger players to be honest.

Last edited:
Yeah, the players seem to love him. He's one of those players that keeps a team gelled together. One of Hawthorn's biggest mistakes recently was not giving him the Captaincy. He would have been a great Captain for a rebuild.

Why do you think they didn’t give it to him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There were so many holding frees paid to Port in first five minutes of 4th Qtr (including the Hendo shocker) I wonder if someone in their team had complained to the umps at three Qtr time.

I have a feeling that Port converted at least four or even five goals from frees. I don’t remember us having one at all. Without the ump support they would have been blown out of the water. Not to say they weren’t there but it felt quite lopsided.

He's actually not a great kick. He seems balanced enough when he strikes the ball, but just misses targets.

Two goals, eight points for the season; the misses have been very gettable.

He's just a bit too old and struggling with an ailing body ... I'd prefer we got some games into our younger players to be honest.

Like Narkle?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we do that?

Not unusual for players to complain to Umpires as they are waiting to start the quarters. Of course, Umps will usually ignore it or tell them to shut up. But of course it may make them a little more alert to it (sometimes backfires and umps arrogantly do the opposite!)

The number of frees paid for holding at start of last quarter (4 or 5 in 5 mins, including that shocker on Henderson) made me wonder if someone complained, particularly after letting quite a number go earlier.

I have a feeling that Port converted at least four or even five goals from frees. I don’t remember us having one at all. Without the ump support they would have been blown out of the water. Not to say they weren’t there but it felt quite lopsided.

It’s was 6. Geelong 1.

I note that young Foley and Edwards were great for the Eagles yesterday. They'd be good exchanges for Clark and Narkle when the time comes; as would Sean Darcy at Fremantle.

THU, JUNE 10
Port Adelaide vs Geelong Cats
VOTES PLAYER (CLUB)
10 - Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
4 - Tom Stewart (GEEL)
4 - Ollie Wines (PORT)
4 - Connor Rozee (PORT)
3 - Jack Henry (GEEL)
3 - Gary Rohan (GEEL)
2 - Tom Hawkins (GEEL)

I'm never going to tire of seeing Jeremy Cameron kicking them from all angles

It’s pretty fun yelling JJJJEEEEZZZZZAAAAAA every time he goes near the ball. Would recommend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back