Geelong 2007-2022. 13x top 4 finishes, 10x top 2 finishes and 4x minor premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Remarkable consistency rarely drop games they should win which explains the constant top 4 finishes.

Need a flag for it not to go all to waste.

This is often overlooked

It’s actually a source of Geelong board criticism on this forum that in recent years ofyen those games against mediocre or poor teams are just run of the mill 20 point wins where we just do enough rather than belting them. Other sides might beat up on 3 poor sides and then unexpectedly drop a game to a 4th.

By and large, and of course there are exceptions, we dispatch the teams we should with metronomic regularity

It’s why games like the Enright milestone game still get brought up: because it’s so unusual for us to drop games to those struggling teams.

I saw a stat yesterday showing the Spurs 66.7% win percentage since 2000. Easily the best in the NBA and I imagine Geelong's win percentage is higher than that since 2007.

I saw a stat yesterday showing the Spurs 66.7% win percentage since 2000. Easily the best in the NBA and I imagine Geelong's win percentage is higher than that since 2007.
AFL tables says the Pies are close overall at 60.75 - which is pretty impressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been a sort of interested bystander in this, certainly Geelong's had a very strong consistent period of being in and around the pointy end of the season, and i am thinking particularly with Fadge's point, that probably Geelong's last ten years is a little like Collingwood from say the 60's and 70's. Usually always in the finals, maybe not as many GF losses (partly because in that era you had the 2nd Semi where one finals win got you into the Big Dance.

But because the Pies were always up there clubs pretty much had to go through them en route to a Premiership. Maybe back then the strong record at Victoria Park had an impact too, insofar as meaning they were always a strong contender. But the Pies would be hard to beat away as well, pretty much like Geelong in their current iteration.

One thing that probably should be said though in defence of Geelong, and by extension Chris Scott's coaching, is that the team pretty much has bought in all through his tenure. Geelong has only had two mediocre seasons (2015 and 2018) under him, and the club has managed to regenerate and refresh, both from big name recruits but also younger players, from rookies and state leagues too. That probably deserves as much credit as anything else. Only Selwood, Hawkins, C.Guthrie and Duncan remain on the list from the 2011 Flag, and Guthrie didn't really feature in 2011. Other strong contenders like St.Kilda, Bulldogs and Freo in this period were up for a few seasons, but fell away to varying degrees. It's not easy to remain up there for a very extended period, hence a side like Sydney missed the finals in 2009 but came back to be in the Semis the next two years before winning 2012's Flag. And they've remained strong contenders since too.

And credit to the Pies, one really bad year (last season) and a new coach, new board and suddenly maybe a little like from 1976 to 1977, they are in the top-4. They also have remained for the greater part of the period after their GF defeats in '02 and '03, essentially a finals fixture for much of the time since 2006. Like Geelong, one Flag but a side that is not out of the action long at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back