Geelong 2007-2022. 13x top 4 finishes, 10x top 2 finishes and 4x minor premierships

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes because it’s 4 in 6.
Imo dynasty’s have to win flags by more than half of the length of it to show absolute dominance as well as keeping the majority of the team the same. So the minimum is 3 in 5, 4 in 7, 5 in 9 etc. Cats way to far out now. Isn’t it only Selwood and Hawkins that was in that 07-11 team. Hawkins didn’t even play in the 07 flag lol

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yep, and Richmond also have a heap of players who played in 2017 that aren't playing this year.

If Richmond win it this year, they'll have a 6 year period with a single year of absence from finals and a second year where they played finals though didn't make the Grand Final.

Geelong would have a 16 year period with a single year of absence from finals, with finals appearances in every other year (including Grand final appearances).

A 16 year Dynasty from Geelong would be EVEN MORE IMPRESSIVE given the longevity, compared to a 6 year period for Richmond.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Another terrific season in what has been the greatest era in club history. Written off by all and sundry coming into 2022 only to have the minor premiership sewn up with a game still to play.

Another premiership would be the cherry on top of a very delicious cake but this season is a success regardless of what happens from here.
Been a great 15 years for the club.

The finals would be another disaster if they don't win the flag from here though, it'd just be the same old Chris Scott failing in September again, didn't time their run, July premiers, etc.

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Even if I don't really like them, it's hard not to respect them.

Flags are obviously the ultimate measure of success, but they do require some luck and staying in contention for them year after year is no mean feat.

Most Hawthorn supporters accept the fact we need to go through a rebuild cycle as part of the nature of this comp after the giddy success of a threepeat. Geelong supporters have no such worries with their side at the point end for what feels like an eternity.

That's very hard to do and deserves (begrudging) respect.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
They really need another flag to make the H&A dominance worth it all. Probably the biggest underachieving club, along with Sydney, over the last 10 years.

Good luck to the losing team and supporters if it's a Sydney v Geelong GF.
Hang on, so teams who have consistently made the finals year on year for the past decade are the most underachieving clubs in the competition?

BigFooty logic at it's very best o_Oo_Oo_O

May 24, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal
Hang on, so teams who have consistently made the finals year on year for the past decade are the most underachieving clubs in the competition?

I think its the relationship between H&A performance and finals performance that decides if a club is under or over achieving. At least H&A performance sets a benchmark to compare against.

Premierships are all that matter. If you don't snag flags while you're dominant then it's a s**t feeling.

If a club doesn't play finals for 10 years then they are just a poor club. They haven't underachieved.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Yep, and Richmond also have a heap of players who played in 2017 that aren't playing this year.

If Richmond win it this year, they'll have a 6 year period with a single year of absence from finals and a second year where they played finals though didn't make the Grand Final.

Geelong would have a 16 year period with a single year of absence from finals, with finals appearances in every other year (including Grand final appearances).

A 16 year Dynasty from Geelong would be EVEN MORE IMPRESSIVE given the longevity, compared to a 6 year period for Richmond.

Look, I guess you could call that a club dynasty/period of success. But not a team one, which is the one people debate.

Also I’m pretty sure we have more than half of the same team from 2017. That’s enough to be considered the same team for a dynasty.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond

He means underachieving in relation to converting H&A dominance to flags. Cats are by far the worst in the AFL era especially when you take into account the 4 GFs with GAS in the team.

PCORF

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Many people wrote off Geelong. I didn't and I had them in my top 4 at the start of the season.

Throw in 2004 as well where they made the preliminary final after finishing 4th. Geelong have only missed the finals twice since 2004 (in 2006 and 2015). Have had 5 Grand Final appearances since 2007 and a chance they will make it 6 in 2022. And next year in 2023 I am expecting pretty much the same. The players with 5 to 10 years of experience, esp Cameron Guthrie (11 years), Mitch Duncan (12 years), Zach Tuohy, Isaac Smith, Tyson Stengle, Tom Stewart, Mark Blicavs, Tom Atkins etc, have been very important to them this season so even if Selwood or Dangerfield miss a game it does not really affect them too much. But we'll see how they perform when the true test begins next month.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Look, I guess you could call that a club dynasty/period of success. But not a team one, which is the one people debate.

Also I’m pretty sure we have more than half of the same team from 2017. That’s enough to be considered the same team for a dynasty.
OK, so if a team/club wins 20 consecutive flags it can't be considered a Dynasty as it is likely that no single player played in every Premiership?

I think I'm starting to understand it now...

NetworkNerd

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
AFL Member so all clubs I guess.
Yes because it’s 4 in 6.
Imo dynasty’s have to win flags by more than half of the length of it to show absolute dominance as well as keeping the majority of the team the same. So the minimum is 3 in 5, 4 in 7, 5 in 9 etc. Cats way to far out now. Isn’t it only Selwood and Hawkins that was in that 07-11 team. Hawkins didn’t even play in the 07 flag lol

Mitch Duncan played in 2011

But your point still has merit

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I think its the relationship between H&A performance and finals performance that decides if a club is under or over achieving. At least H&A performance sets a benchmark to compare against.

Premierships are all that matter. If you don't snag flags while you're dominant then it's a s**t feeling.

If a club doesn't play finals for 10 years then they are just a poor club. They haven't underachieved.

Teams or clubs that underachieve to me are ones that quite simply don’t match the theoretical output that their roster and their general dominance should dictate.

Both Sydney and Geelong have fielded some teams that have underachieved - I think, and this is not a judgement because I have the utmost respect for the Swans - they have created for themselves more gilt-edged chances since their last flag: 2014 and 2016, that’s not just because they made the grand final - they won 12 on the bounce and 18 out of 20 leading into the grand final.

They came up against a great side - you could argue that there was a bit of st Kilda 2009 about that season but the fact was on form they were red hot. Won their prelim by 12 goals.

2016…. Well we don’t really need to go into it but it was a pretty bad missed opportunity.

Geelong I think underachieved in 2016 as well - we won 8 in a row before we hosted you at the MCG in a prelim….. and the game was over at quarter time. Because of what happened with the Dogs, and the fact that there was a rookie finals team in GWS in there, the reigning champs Hawthorn were past it…. No doubt we underachieved that year too.

2019 we went win-loss for almost the entire second half of the year so a prelim, even though we led it at half time, was probably an accurate reflection.
2020 was an underachievement in a lot of respects, we handled the hub business we had no home ground to rely on, we lost 3 games after round 3, all to finalists and all reasonably competitive, kicked ourselves out of the QF against Port that we otherwise probably should have won, smashed Collingwood and Brisbane in the next two finals, and led clearly at half time in the GF.

PhilX

Debutant
May 6, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
I disagree. The upset in 2008 drove them for a few years. If they won the 2008 grand final by 20 goals... I dont know.. I think the passion/desire would have dropped off and may not have won in 2011.

Similar to the Hawks. They needed to lose 2012 to get the required players/adjustments (Lake especially) to drive the next 3 years. If they won 2012 I dont think they would have won the next 3
Absolutely. If we'd won 2008 despite the arrogance and complacency from top to bottom, I can't see us having the grit to beat the Saints in 2009.

We were also never a real chance in 2010; we were humiliated by Collingwood.

SuperMal

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
LEEDS F’jh#$@G UNITED
Another terrific season in what has been the greatest era in club history. Written off by all and sundry coming into 2022 only to have the minor premiership sewn up with a game still to play.

Another premiership would be the cherry on top of a very delicious cake but this season is a success regardless of what happens from here.
Amazing what that narrow ground can do for the home club.

Yes because it’s 4 in 6.

No, Article X67.r(a) states there is a break in dynasty nexus when a team fails to make finals in a season. Tigers' dynasty is over

No

A dynasty in football is about sustained greatness, not greatness interspersed with failure. On your reckoning a team could win the premiership, finish last next year, win the premiership in the 3rd year, finish last in the 4th year, etc, and you'd say that's a dynasty?

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
A dynasty in football is about sustained greatness, not greatness interspersed with failure. On your reckoning a team could win the premiership, finish last next year, win the premiership in the 3rd year, finish last in the 4th year, etc, and you'd say that's a dynasty?
In the world of Falcon, this is a Dynasty:
1st, last, 1st, last, 1st

And this is not:
1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st

o_Oo_Oo_O

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond

Yes, you failed in 08 and 10 same as finishing last. Pretty sure 80s hawks had dropped out of finals at some point as well. They not a dynasty either?

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond

And this is not:

o_Oo_Oo_O

Cats is Premiership, fail, Premiership, fail, Premiership, fail, fail, fail …..

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
I do love this period that Geelong are in. Every year I think they might plummet (as everyone else does it seems) and every year they surprise me. To be so consistently making finals after having 95% of the team changed from the last Premiership to me is incredible and I love watching them play.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets

And this is not:

o_Oo_Oo_O
We aren't really like American sports where they respect making the playoffs, being division/conference champions, etc. on top of winning the championship in whichever sport they may be. They still celebrate the other stuff.
In European football leagues, finishing runners up, or qualifying for Champions league, winning domestic cups, getting promotion/avoiding relegation are again all celebrated.

In our game it's pretty much Premiership > daylight > made finals > also ran.

And there is probably not a heap of difference between made finals and also rans in our games, no one really celebrates making a PF with any real respect or credibility as an achievement, nor do they really remember making the GF as an achievement. It's a fairly unique sport in that way.

To quote the great Ricky Bobby, "If you're not first, you're last". That's kind of how the AFL seasons are remembered.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
We aren't really like American sports where they respect making the playoffs, being division/conference champions, etc. on top of winning the championship in whichever sport they may be. They still celebrate the other stuff.
In European football leagues, finishing runners up, or qualifying for Champions league, winning domestic cups, getting promotion/avoiding relegation are again all celebrated.

In our game it's pretty much Premiership > daylight > made finals > also ran.

And there is probably not a heap of difference between made finals and also rans in our games, no one really celebrates making a PF with any real respect or credibility as an achievement, nor do they really remember making the GF as an achievement. It's a fairly unique sport in that way.

To quote the great Ricky Bobby, "If you're not first, you're last". That's kind of how the AFL seasons are remembered.
Complete rubbish, and only supporters of teams who have been mediocre for decades on end would subscribe to this assessment.

Back