Geelong 2007-2022. 13x top 4 finishes, 10x top 2 finishes and 4x minor premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Says who?
Just about every footy analyst and fan promote the flag or nothing mantra in our game when measuring success.

Even Damian Hardwick has acknowledged this saying we should celebrate making finals more as an achievement. But we don't really.
Who is 'we'?

Have you engaged with any Carlton supporters this year?

They are cockahoot about being in contention for finals.

As a tigers fan, its easy to rub their noses in it about the lack of premierships since 2011. But they really are a remarkable club, how many times do they get counted out, only to come back just as strong. And with the handicap of not having access to the best young kids. They have built a culture of success.
You would take being in the premiership equation vs being perennial cellar dwellers or mid table plodders (aka richmond from 1983-2012).

Another terrific season in what has been the greatest era in club history. Written off by all and sundry coming into 2022 only to have the minor premiership sewn up with a game still to play.

Another premiership would be the cherry on top of a very delicious cake but this season is a success regardless of what happens from here.
I have to admit it. It's very impressive.

5 blokes - De Koning, Holmes, Jack, Stengle, Miers - have totally rejuvenated the joint.

p.s. I just realised Shaun Higgins was still on the list.

I hate that this thread was started by a Geelong supporter

Why does every thread turn into a Geelong/Richmond shitfest?
Feels a bit childish to point the finger but it's always the same, oft suspended Richmond poster

As a tigers fan, its easy to rub their noses in it about the lack of premierships since 2011. But they really are a remarkable club, how many times do they get counted out, only to come back just as strong. And with the handicap of not having access to the best young kids. They have built a culture of success.
You would take being in the premiership equation vs being perennial cellar dwellers or mid table plodders (aka richmond from 1983-2012).

Exactly. As I’ve said a billion times of COURSE I would love to win more trophies and some of the finals losses - and despite what people may think the Richmond defeats and the Hawthorn loss of 2013 DONT hurt any more than normal - for the precise reason that I think any supporter can handle games where a) you put yourself in with a chance (we were in all 4 of the matches I’m referring to), and b) you lose to sides who are clearly exceptional which the 2013 Hawks and 17-19/20 Tigers were.

The hardest ones to take have been the matches where we simply haven’t turned up. Fremantle did it to us. Sydney have done it to us. Collingwood have done it to us. Melbourne have done it twice. Adelaide have done it to us.

Some of those teams were really good anyway and would have been tough to beat regardless, some not so much, but to not give ourself a chance, that sucked.

But hey, if someone offers me a bad finals loss and a bounce back to have a chance to avenge it a year later, or to just disappear from relevance and just have to hope we find the jewels in the draft over 5-6 years, I’m gonna take the first option every time.

Unless your hand is absolutely forced I don’t believe you should ever be aiming for anything other than AT LEAST finals.

Yep, how dare someone have a different perspective to that of your own...

You have a right to your opinion, I also have a right to oppose. Get over it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I have to admit it. It's very impressive.

5 blokes - De Koning, Holmes, Jack, Stengle, Miers - have totally rejuvenated the joint.

p.s. I just realised Shaun Higgins was still on the list.

I actually don’t mind having him there. Obviously he’s been underwhelming - his ‘good’ games have been maybe 5-6, a few others that were adequate and after that, mostly sub par.

But a break glass in case of emergency player like Higgins - it’s not the worst thing to have on the list

Jeepers, in the world according to you, I only post about Geelong.

In the world according to many others, I only post about Carlton.

My head hurts...

Maybe try posting about your own team for once. Problem solved

Another terrific season in what has been the greatest era in club history. Written off by all and sundry coming into 2022 only to have the minor premiership sewn up with a game still to play.

Another premiership would be the cherry on top of a very delicious cake but this season is a success regardless of what happens from here.

The nerves are clearly jangling for Cats supporters. Already convincing themselves this season is a success even if they don’t win the flag. Oppo supporters are not naive enough to think finishing 2-games clear on top and not winning the flag would be seen by ANY Geelong supporter as something to celebrate.

In previous finals campaigns you could argue Geelong was not necessarily the best team going into finals. This season however is different - they are clearly the best team playing clearly the best football …. they are #1 in forward AND defensive stats kept by CD which has not been seen since 2007 - it’s almost unheard of dominance.

I think the nerves began jangling a little more when Richmond made the finals and Jezza pinged his hammy……

But I think the Cats will win it and should win it given how clearly superior they’ve been to the rest this season. But if they don’t win it a successful season …. hmmmm …. not so sure Cats supporters genuinely in their hearts will feel that way.

The nerves are clearly jangling for Cats supporters. Already convincing themselves this season is a success even if they don’t win the flag. Oppo supporters are not naive enough to think finishing 2-games clear on top and not winning the flag would be seen by ANY Geelong supporter as something to celebrate.

In previous finals campaigns you could argue Geelong was not necessarily the best team going into finals. This season however is different - they are clearly the best team playing clearly the best football …. they are #1 in forward AND defensive stats kept by CD which has not been seen since 2007 - it’s almost unheard of dominance.

I think the nerves began jangling a little more when Richmond made the finals and Jezza pinged his hammy……

But I think the Cats will win it and should win it given how clearly superior they’ve been to the rest this season. But if they don’t win it a successful season …. hmmmm …. not so sure Cats supporters genuinely in their hearts will feel that way.

Geelong 2022 season barely any different to their 2019 season when they also won the minor. They were found to be a few goals off the pace then. Maybe there is not a team as strong as Richmond 2019 loitering with intent, but there are a few possible challengers. 😁

The nerves are clearly jangling for Cats supporters. Already convincing themselves this season is a success even if they don’t win the flag.
Seriously, why are so many people so adamantly opposed to the notion that people can enjoy football without winning a GF every year?

I can honestly only think of two explanations:
  • Some people are so bitter about own their club's lack of success, they want to convince as many opposition fans as possible to feel just as sad and bitter about their own team.
  • Some people with great recent success are poor winners who enjoy belittling others.
In both cases, it seems they live vicariously through their sports teams, and have tied their self-worth or feelings of happiness up in things utterly out of their own control, which is incredibly sad, really.

I will be disappointed if Geelong don't win a Grand Final this year. For an hour at most, probably less. Then I'll shrug, and get excited about the possibilities for my NFL team this year.

I have gained great enjoyment from watching Geelong for the past decade. The exciting wins, the anticipation for finals, the thought that, "maybe this year..." has been amazing. At the start of this season, I went in with truly low expectations, for the first time since 2011. And here we are. I had become one of the doubters, and my team proved me wrong. It's been a great experience, to see them do it.

Maybe we'll crash and burn again. That would suck. Maybe we'll come agonisingly close and be eliminated in a game for the ages. That would be thrilling at the time, although ultimately a bit disappointing. Maybe we'll be premiers again, which will be pretty awesome for a while, before I get on with the rest of my life. But, in the end, the bottom line is that, whatever the outcome, it's still just a game of football.

Anyone who wants to claim that's a loser mentality or I'm accepting mediocrity or some bullshit like that ... all I can say, is: Fair enough, if that's the way you feel, so be it. I'd rather be your idea of a loser, than live a life in which I'm derived of all joy, and it's just misery and anger whenever my AFL team is failing to win Grand Finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My enjoyment of football or my life in general isn't based solely on whether Geelong wins flags. You can disbelieve that if you want, that also doesn't impact any enjoyment I have :p Geelong won three flags not that long ago and since then has for the most part played extremely consistently across the seasons despite every year everyone writing them off (myself included). I love that they haven't decided to rebuild, that they continue to push themselves every year time and time again and more often than not figure deep into finals. I especially love watching them play this year; they play with a vibrancy I haven't seen for a while.

I guess I am really content with three flags, and if they snag another, awesome. I look at teams like Carlton and the saints and Essendon how they struggle to even make finals consistently; Carlton supporters are desperate to even have them play finals this year. I have a lot of Freo supporter friends being that I live in WA and they all desperate for Freo to win even one. Right now, there are 15 clubs that would take up Geelongs record in a heart beat. If you went to a Carlton supporter and said, 'you'll win three flags over a short period of time and after that continue to make finals for ten years but not win another one over that period" they would immediately say yes without hesitation.

Meanwhile, some opposition supporters like yourself come on here and attempt to make claims that some of us aren't happy? Please. Richmond will be in a similar boat most likely; making finals but not winning the big one, and in five, six years time, you'll realise you too are also happy. Or at least you should be.

Seriously, why are so many people so adamantly opposed to the notion that people can enjoy football without winning a GF every year?

I can honestly only think of two explanations:
  • Some people are so bitter about own their club's lack of success, they want to convince as many opposition fans as possible to feel just as sad and bitter about their own team.
  • Some people with great recent success are poor winners who enjoy belittling others.
In both cases, it seems they live vicariously through their sports teams, and have tied their self-worth or feelings of happiness up in things utterly out of their own control, which is incredibly sad, really.

I will be disappointed if Geelong don't win a Grand Final this year. For an hour at most, probably less. Then I'll shrug, and get excited about the possibilities for my NFL team this year.

I have gained great enjoyment from watching Geelong for the past decade. The exciting wins, the anticipation for finals, the thought that, "maybe this year..." has been amazing. At the start of this season, I went in with truly low expectations, for the first time since 2011. And here we are. I had become one of the doubters, and my team proved me wrong. It's been a great experience, to see them do it.

Maybe we'll crash and burn again. That would suck. Maybe we'll come agonisingly close and be eliminated in a game for the ages. That would be thrilling at the time, although ultimately a bit disappointing. Maybe we'll be premiers again, which will be pretty awesome for a while, before I get on with the rest of my life. But, in the end, the bottom line is that, whatever the outcome, it's still just a game of football.

Anyone who wants to claim that's a loser mentality or I'm accepting mediocrity or some bullshit like that ... all I can say, is: Fair enough, if that's the way you feel, so be it. I'd rather be your idea of a loser, than live a life in which I'm derived of all joy, and it's just misery and anger whenever my AFL team is failing to win Grand Finals.

My enjoyment of football or my life in general isn't based solely on whether Geelong wins flags. You can disbelieve that if you want, that also doesn't impact any enjoyment I have :p Geelong won three flags not that long ago and since then has for the most part played extremely consistently across the seasons despite every year everyone writing them off (myself included). I love that they haven't decided to rebuild, that they continue to push themselves every year time and time again and more often than not figure deep into finals. I especially love watching them play this year; they play with a vibrancy I haven't seen for a while.

I guess I am really content with three flags, and if they snag another, awesome. I look at teams like Carlton and the saints and Essendon how they struggle to even make finals consistently; Carlton supporters are desperate to even have them play finals this year. I have a lot of Freo supporter friends being that I live in WA and they all desperate for Freo to win even one. Right now, there are 15 clubs that would take up Geelongs record in a heart beat. If you went to a Carlton supporter and said, 'you'll win three flags over a short period of time and after that continue to make finals for ten years but not win another one over that period" they would immediately say yes without hesitation.

Meanwhile, some opposition supporters like yourself come on here and attempt to make claims that some of us aren't happy? Please. Richmond will be in a similar boat most likely; making finals but not winning the big one, and in five, six years time, you'll realise you too are also happy. Or at least you should be.

So Collingwood supporters, who, despite whatever we think of their lifestyle choices, hygiene habits and liking to assist Police with their enquiries, are REAL footy supporters. They are frustrated, gutted, distraught, when their team repeatedly gets within a kick or two of winning Grand Finals, and they are not afraid to show their anguish, and we respect them for that, it is genuine, honest, raw…..meanwhile “superior” Geelong fans are deliriously happy their team wins 1 of their last 15 finals against a top 4 team, succumbing meekly in most of those.

No genuine footy fan is going to respect that, it is remote, contrived, feeble, and shows a lack of investment in the contest of which an average Polo mole would be deeply ashamed. But you care enough to come here and write at length about not caring. Apologies to the real Cats supporters out there but this is pathetic. 😁

Nothing but admiration for the Geelong Football Club.
Premierships define ultimate success but as a supporter all one can hope for is maximum effort, week to week, year on year.
As a club they risk devestation yearly to chase the slim chance of being rewarded with a flag consistently.

Says who?
Just about every footy analyst and fan promote the flag or nothing mantra in our game when measuring success.

Even Damian Hardwick has acknowledged this saying we should celebrate making finals more as an achievement. But we don't really.
Yep and I will savour each final Freo plays this season, even if we get dumped out in the Elim final.

From 1995-2021, Freo made finals only 7 times out of 27. It's 2022 and it will be 8 finals out of 28.

Only time Freo has made finals for at least 2 straight years in a row was under Ross Lyon from 2012-15.

Yeah, I don't really get not enjoying the season unless your team wins the cup. They are bloody hard to win. That would just make for a lot of depressing years.

If I look at another sport, I really enjoyed my Oilers playoff run this season. Didn't really expect them to win the cup. Hell, a Canadian team hasn't even won it for 30 years. Doesn't stop arenas being packed and people enjoying the sport though.

Last edited:
So Collingwood supporters, who, despite whatever we think of their lifestyle choices, hygiene habits and liking to assist Police with their enquiries, are REAL footy supporters. They are frustrated, gutted, distraught, when their team repeatedly gets within a kick or two of winning Grand Finals, and they are not afraid to show their anguish, and we respect them for that, it is genuine, honest, raw…..meanwhile “superior” Geelong fans are deliriously happy their team wins 1 of their last 15 finals against a top 4 team, succumbing meekly in most of those.

No genuine footy fan is going to respect that, it is remote, contrived, feeble, and shows a lack of investment in the contest of which an average Polo mole would be deeply ashamed. But you care enough to come here and write at length about not caring. Apologies to the real Cats supporters out there but this is pathetic. 😁
You can be gutted about losing a grand final whilst proud of the overall season. Not sure why you can only have some singular emotion about a team’s year

You can be gutted about losing a grand final whilst proud of the overall season. Not sure why you can only have some singular emotion about a team’s year
It is extremely rare for a team to be considered more likely to win a flag than not at any stage before the finals commence, and generally before they have won their way into a Grand Final.

The last time this happened I believe was Essendon in 2000, who were odds on to win the flag by the late stages of the 2000 home and away season.

So because our teams are less likely to win the flag than they are to win it, we should never get too excited about any wins during the year or early in a finals series because we are just wasting our emotion on the basis our team is probably not going to win the flag anyway.

And now we have the rules according to BigFooty.

The football season goes for 6 months. Fans have no control over how the team plays so most people just enjoy the highs and ride out the lows. Saying anything otherwise is truly pathetic.

It is extremely rare for a team to be considered more likely to win a flag than not at any stage before the finals commence, and generally before they have won their way into a Grand Final.

The last time this happened I believe was Essendon in 2000, who were odds on to win the flag by the late stages of the 2000 home and away season.

So because our teams are less likely to win the flag than they are to win it, we should never get too excited about any wins during the year or early in a finals series because we are just wasting our emotion on the basis our team is probably not going to win the flag anyway.

And now we have the rules according to BigFooty.
My favourite BF gameday thread tradition is people bagging a team for celebrating a goal or a win in the H&A season

The football season goes for 6 months. Fans have no control over how the team plays so most people just enjoy the highs and ride out the lows. Saying anything otherwise is truly pathetic.
As a Collingwood supporter who watched their first game of footy in 1979, I have had infinitely more highs and infinitely less lows when watching my team over the course of my life than every other team in the competition apart from Hawthorn, Geelong and possibly Sydney.

I am therefore very happy with the club I selected (or was selected for me).

That is also why I have absolute respect for the three aforementioned teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back