Geelong 2007 vs Hawthorn 2014 - who would win?

Who would win?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this thread serious?

Cats by 5 goals.

The Hawks 08 win (good for them) was a travesty and a complete f*ck up by Geelong. If that game was played with the same teams (i.e. more or less the same players from 07/08) another 10 times it would be Geelong 9 - Hawks 1... which is essentially how the next 10 or 11 games went from memory. Consequently, saying oh but but Hawks won in 08 is irrelevant. The next 10 games from the 08 grand final shows the quality at the time between the teams... Ye, ye they wern't grand finals, but both teams (as reflected by the scores and the games themselves) were brutal with both teams trying to win at all costs in a finals like intense pressure game. In other words, hawthorn whilst throwing everything at Geelong, fell short every time and only won when the cats started to decline and lose the players from 07/08.

The Cats 07 side was unstoppable, more AAs, a brownlow, a rising star winner and was the more convincing side. Hawks in 14 were in their best form during the finals and knocked off a side that (like in 13, and 15) did not rock up to play on the day - much like port in 07.

Is this thread serious?

Cats by 5 goals.

The Hawks 08 win (good for them) was a travesty and a complete f*ck up by Geelong. If that game was played with the same teams (i.e. more or less the same players from 07/08) another 10 times it would be Geelong 9 - Hawks 1... which is essentially how the next 10 or 11 games went from memory. Consequently, saying oh but but Hawks won in 08 is irrelevant. The next 10 games from the 08 grand final shows the quality at the time between the teams... Ye, ye they wern't grand finals, but both teams (as reflected by the scores and the games themselves) were brutal with both teams trying to win at all costs in a finals like intense pressure game. In other words, hawthorn whilst throwing everything at Geelong, fell short every time and only won when the cats started to decline and lose the players from 07/08.

The Cats 07 side was unstoppable, more AAs, a brownlow, a rising star winner and was the more convincing side. Hawks in 14 were in their best form during the finals and knocked off a side that (like in 13, and 15) did not rock up to play on the day - much like port in 07.

How do you explain Geelong 07 losing to Hawthorn 07?

The clubs played 5 games between 06 and 08. Geelong won 1 game and only then, by 11 points.

Seems to me Geelong didn't get the wood on Hawthorn until 09 and the facts show that.

Is this thread serious?

Cats by 5 goals.

:drunk:

How do you explain Geelong 07 losing to Hawthorn 07?

lol. So by that logic, GWS were better than Hawthorn last year because GWS beat you in 2015?

You're essentially saying Hawks in 07 were better because Geelong lost to them that year, before they clicked into gear. Again, lol.

The clubs played 5 games between 06 and 08. Geelong won 1 game and only then, by 11 points.

Geelong were rubbish in 06 so not sure how that's relevant... as stated above we lost in 07 in April before we clicked into gear and there is no question we were a significantly better side than you in 07... and then you beat us in the 08 GF in a Bradbury moment. But good for you, you made the best of the opportunity and I cannot fault that. But just because you beat us once in 08 doesn't mean you were the best team of the year. It was a travesty and the next 10 games we played each other (with more or less the same players) shows the true reflection between the sides.

Seems to me Geelong didn't get the wood on Hawthorn until 09 and the facts show that.

You beat us on the big dance in 08. but you wernt the better side of 08.

Geelong were a better side than hawthorn in the following seasons: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011. Hawthorn were a better side than Geelong 2012 - current.

Note that we beat you both times in 2012, but you were clearly better than us.

The above reflects that geelong were at their prime before hawthorn (our prime drafts were 1999 - 2001 and yours were 2001 - 2004). Just coz you Bradbury'd in and snuck one off us in 2008 does not make you the 'better side' over the 2007 - 2011 period.

Whilst the Grand Final team with less experience (total games played across the 22) has been victorious on 8/26 AFL era occasions, only 4 times in that period has the least overall experienced team won whilst also having more players in the side who have played less than 50 games.

If a hypothetical match was to be played between the 2014 Hawks and 2007 Cats, the Cats would need to go against the 4/26 odds.

Total games played:
2014 Hawks - 3026
2007 Cats - 2578

Players with less than 50 games experience:
2014 Hawks - 2
2007 Cats - 4

*Obscure stats can suggest just about anything.

lol. So by that logic, GWS were better than Hawthorn last year because GWS beat you in 2015?

You're essentially saying Hawks in 07 were better because Geelong lost to them that year, before they clicked into gear. Again, lol.

Geelong were rubbish in 06 so not sure how that's relevant... as stated above we lost in 07 in April before we clicked into gear and there is no question we were a significantly better side than you in 07... and then you beat us in the 08 GF in a Bradbury moment. But good for you, you made the best of the opportunity and I cannot fault that. But just because you beat us once in 08 doesn't mean you were the best team of the year. It was a travesty and the next 10 games we played each other (with more or less the same players) shows the true reflection between the sides.

You beat us on the big dance in 08. but you wernt the better side of 08.

Geelong were a better side than hawthorn in the following seasons: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011. Hawthorn were a better side than Geelong 2012 - current.

Note that we beat you both times in 2012, but you were clearly better than us.

The above reflects that geelong were at their prime before hawthorn (our prime drafts were 1999 - 2001 and yours were 2001 - 2004). Just coz you Bradbury'd in and snuck one off us in 2008 does not make you the 'better side' over the 2007 - 2011 period.

4 - 1 in 06 to 08 shows Hawthorn had the wood on Geelong in that period. No amount of spin will change that.

I don't recall 2007 ever occurring, therefor 2014 for me

on a serious note, Geelong's defence and midfield would be better than the Hawks but the Hawks were more balanced across the park and had a fabulous forward line.

Geelong 07

Finish: 1st (18 wins/4 losses) with 3 of these losses occuring in the first 4 or 5 rounds.
%: 152.76
All Australians: 9 (plus the coach)*
Brownlow and rising star winner
Record grand final winning margin

Hawks 14

Finish 2nd (17 wins/5 losses)
%: 140.80
All-Australians: 3 (plus the coach)

Cats 07 clearly >>> Hawks 14

*EDIT - it's Geelong actually had 9 AAs in 2007, not 7.

Last edited:
and scientific studies say... well the animals have not been greatly harmed in the execution of this thread.

All the above are trying to get these two very well loved animals to emergency in order that their
animosity between each other should be resolved and that they can play with each other
and not rip their throats out...

:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong 07

Finish: 1st (18 wins/4 losses) with 3 of these losses occuring in the first 4 or 5 rounds.
%: 152.76
All Australians: 7 (plus the coach)
Brownlow and rising star winner
Record grand final winning margin

Hawks 14

Finish 2nd (17 wins/5 losses)
%: 140.80
All-Australians: 3 (plus the coach)

Cats 07 clearly >>> Hawks 14
This is nice.

Gee, it was hard to stop Geelong's avalanche football at their best. Hawthorn's zone of the corridor/midfield was designed to stop Geelong. I'd still take Geelong though.

It was a travesty and the next 10 games we played each other (with more or less the same players) shows the true reflection between the sides.
What? The true reflection that there was less than a kick between the two sides? There was only one game that I could remember that Geelong won convincingly and that was the 2012 QF. For all the success Geelong had from 07-12, Hawthorn was the one team they never dominated.

I know that Hawthorn are the benchmark team, but I am just sick and tired of other supporters comparing something to the hawks.

I wonder what the next comparison vs the Hawks will be.......maybe another Tom, Dick and Harry vs Cyril Rioli thread or (let me guess) another hypothetical match up vs the Hawks.

Last edited:
just cant get past the handball scenario.. wiser heads prevail with genetically induced kicking ability and luck of the draw...

Hawks always have a fitting rush to drive the ball forward and snag a goal when they are least expected.

Port weren't the second best side that year despite final standings.

West Coast were right up Geelong's crack before we got hit by the injury hammer.
Judd, cousins, Kerr out vs collingwood and still only lost in extra time. Fit eagles would have knocked off the cats in 2007. Geelong would have shat themselves.

What? The true reflection that there was less than a kick between the two sides? There was only one game that I could remember that Geelong won convincingly and that was the 2012 QF. For all the success Geelong had from 07-12, Hawthorn was the one team they never dominated.

My point was that the tight scoreline and crazy intensity games, probably games of their respective seasons, indicate hawks through everything they could at Geelong but couldn't come up with the chocolates.. 11 times in a row. This streak, which had many of the Geelong + hawks players of the 07/08 seasons, would indicate Geelong were better, and that 08 GF win was an exception to the rule. With the rule being Geelong clearly >>> Hawks from 07 - 2011.

Sydney 14 were FAR superior to Port '07.

Geelong and Hawks both ran riot on their opposition that day.

Would have been an awesome game, but its impossible to say

Back