Geelong 2007 vs Hawthorn 2014 - who would win?

Who would win?

• Total voters

Man0gwaR74

All Australian
Oct 6, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Said inconsistent forward kicked 113 goals that year. There was good reason to be worried.
Hawthorn started with a defence of;
Gilham, Croad, Guerra
Birchall, Hodge, Ladson
Croad broke his foot in half midway through the second quarter and Geelong could still only manage 11 goals.
As good as Geelong were their forward line was never anything near elite.
THE REASON WHY BUDDY WAS ABLE TO KICK BIG SCORES WAS COZ OF SUPPLY! He had more shots at goal than prolly anyone else in the league and was kicking 5 goals from about 13scoring shots per game but only kicked bags against weak defenses(Bombers), and this was why the Cats needn't been concerned about him! He hadn't been found out for his weaknesses in that season; Weak in the marking contest, doesn't use his height and the only things to be concerned about was his pace and the reach of his kicks. The umpires loved him also!

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I JUST TOLD YOU WHY!
It was Bomber taking the Cats out of their comfort by playing Scarlett as a lockdown defender! Such a brainless plan by Bomber! Scarlett provided most of the Cats' drive out of defense, so it was stupid to change that structure just for such an inconsistent forward and by doing that, It disrupted the Cat's style of play which played into Clarkson's hands!

Too cute by half. Wasn’t bomber the coach for Victoria v dreamteam that year? Surprised many by not playing Scarlett on buddy. I guess it was all part of his master plan

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
THE REASON WHY BUDDY WAS ABLE TO KICK BIG SCORES WAS COZ OF SUPPLY! He had more shots at goal than prolly anyone else in the league and was kicking 5 goals from about 13scoring shots per game but only kicked bags against weak defenses(Bombers), and this was why the Cats needn't been concerned about him! He hadn't been found out for his weaknesses in that season; Weak in the marking contest, doesn't use his height and the only things to be concerned about was his pace and the reach of his kicks. The umpires loved him also!

Umpires loved him? Is that why he got reported and suspended for not much at all?

Umpires loved the cats in that grand final though. Even made a new rule up

But hang on, if buddy was wasting his chances, maybe the hawks that year were a better team

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Geelong 2008 limped into September, injuries were mounting up and resulted in players that were nowhere near 100% getting picked when they shouldn't have. It was unfortunate timing for Geelong, still I think bad tactical choices in the granny by Bomba didn't help either.

The fact that the hfc did not win another game against Geelong in 12 or so tries clearly indicates that it was an aberration.
Pretty close games though (terrific games I’ll add). I think it’s amazing that Hawthorn still came so close to Geelong in so many games in 2009-2011 given you guys were clearly the better team.

Likewise amazing, however, that you continued to beat us in 2012-2013 when we were the better team (prelim excepting)

Truly a great rivalary. Still love our games now too

Hawthorn supporters- Of the 2013-15 flag sides, which do you think was the weakest Hawks team?
13 - our worst % across the 3 seasons, and we weren't particularly fantastic in finals either (although we did flog Sydney in the 1st round of finals, and had 10 more scoring shots against your mob in the prelim).

In saying that only Geelong and Freo put up a whimper that year but Hawthorn were the better team that year.

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hawthorn supporters- Of the 2013-15 flag sides, which do you think was the weakest Hawks team?

I don't think it is clear.

Hawks were very even over the 3 years and over the 4 years when you include 2012. I was going to say 2015 but stats don't really support that - 2015 was the Hawks least wins for the period - only by 1 game - but it was also their best defensive effort for the period with the fewest goals against by a substantial margin.

Wins 2012-2015 (regular season only) - 17, 19, 17, 16
Goals for - 391, 374, 367, 365
Goals against - 251, 271, 254, 221

It is interesting that the Hawks goals for plummeted to 312 in 2016 and then 273 in 2017. Goals against started to creep to up to 263 and then 301. The Hawks were very even from 2012-2015 and the drop came pretty dramatically after 2015.

Over their dominant period the Cats stats are very similar;

Wins 2007-2011 - 18, 21, 18, 17, 19
Goals for - 370, 392, 337, 371, 377
Goals against - 240, 237, 269, 241, 235

Both great sides. If you played the game 10 times there is every chance they would win 5 each. Cats with a superior defence would stop the Hawks 5 times and the Hawks with a superior attack would open the cats up 5 times.

The only thing I do know for certain is if these teams did play 10 times I would not survive it :oops:

Last edited:

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Pretty close games though (terrific games I’ll add). I think it’s amazing that Hawthorn still came so close to Geelong in so many games in 2009-2011 given you guys were clearly the better team.

What makes it even more bizarre is Scarlett, Lonergan and Enright always beat Franklin, Rioli and Roughead. Hawthorn's brilliant forwards could never break out against us and yet, the games still remained so close all the way through.

I think this is a reason why I have never rated Franklin as high as others, all the games I have seen him play live, he never played a game where I thought to myself, that's as good as it gets. No awe factor.
Rioli never worried me either as he wasn't a very consistent 'big game' player. Always knew he would pop up and do something brilliant at some point but in terms of busting open a game, never did it against us.

What makes it even more bizarre is Scarlett, Lonergan and Enright always beat Franklin, Rioli and Roughead. Hawthorn's brilliant forwards could never break out against us and yet, the games still remained so close all the way through.

I think this is a reason why I have never rated Franklin as high as others, all the games I have seen him play live, he never played a game where I thought to myself, that's as good as it gets. No awe factor.
Rioli never worried me either as he wasn't a very consistent 'big game' player. Always knew he would pop up and do something brilliant at some point but in terms of busting open a game, never did it against us.
Except that time he kicked 6 on Enright.

Take that game out, and he kicked 16 goals in 20 games against Geelong, or 22 goals in 21 games including that game. Not exactly a record to have us quaking in fear.

A myth that keeps getting spat out.

You know it's comparing era's, after all 2013 was Hawthorns bets year. After all it arguably had the best forward in the leagues history.
Franklin? Two of the greatest 3 players to play our game were forwards and none of those are named Lance Franklin.

Arguable if buddy is even Hawthorns Third best forward. Ever
Well I'd have Dunstall in the top 5 players I've ever seen for a start and I never seen Hudson play, although I work with Butch Hudson who is Peter's brother and he was equally as good according to himself but wasn't prepared to give AFL football a crack when Hawthorn came knocking. The money wasn't as good as the pub business he was in.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd have Buddy at number 3. Dunstall and Hudson at 1 and 2. Brereton has a case for 3 or 4. I'd have Ablett Snr at 5 - I guess that's why we let him go :p
shuffling the change in my pocket I have maybe ten or fifteen cents and then there is a dollar for a Brereton and a seventy cents for
Dunstall... then after that we are getting dire in the pocket size...

Back