Geelong 2007 vs Hawthorn 2014 - who would win?

Who would win?

• Total voters

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hawthorn's 2013-15 "dynasty" is like the Lleyton Hewitt "dynasty". He just happened to be up and about at the time of that in between period when Pete Sampras was fading and before Roger Federer was ready to go.

The closest thing to Roger Federer in the footy world over the last 50 years IS Hawthorn, with a very large amount of daylight to the next contender.

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
hk89 said:
‘GA senior dishing out the heroin to the young girls, while GA junior is telling them god hates drugs (and gays). Sounds like a fun time for all.’

So when someone mentioned Hodge I don’t think there’s much wrong with it at all

If Hodge had killed someone on the road at the time he blew 0.068, then your comparison might have had some legs.

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Geelong 2007, why is this even up for debate??

General consensus seems to be because looking at 2007 and the years either side, when the Geelong team had a similar composition, Geelong went 1-4 against a Hawthorn team that was considerably weaker than their 2014 version. After the humiliation of the 2008 GF (the loss that robbed Geelong of a 3-peat and football immortality), Geelong finally got a bit of steel in their spine against Hawthorn, and reversed the situation, but as of 2007, Geelong were in a 3 year block of being our bunnies. To think that 2007 Geelong team would have faired any better against the 2014 Hawthorn is pure fantasy.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Based on selective stats Hawthorn fans use to embellish their team, they have a better head to head record against Geelong.

Roger Federer has an inferior head to head record against both Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic.

Geelong are the Roger Federer.
I mean again it is a stupid analogy but Federer was a top player for over 2 decades and won more titles than the rest. That is Hawthorn, Geelong is more Andy Murray of 2016. Made plenty of finals and lost them to other 'great teams' (Djokovic). Won one grand slam final and olympic gold and ended the year ranked number 1 in the world. Failed to stay at that level as long as the other greats though.

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
You obviously didn’t get on the first place that Sampras was the leading player in the first place, then there was a period where no one particular player was dominant, but Hewitt was the no1 player in consecutive years, then Federer got going (Richmond).

You’re obviously not knowledgeable enough on football to know Geelong won two subsequent GFs after 07.

The Warner analogy is also apt.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Based on selective stats Hawthorn fans use to embellish their team, they have a better head to head record against Geelong.

Roger Federer has an inferior head to head record against both Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic.

Geelong are the Roger Federer.

More like the Williams sisters

Im happy with the 'hewitt=hawthorn construct'. Just saying when this arose, we are still waiting for the 'federer'

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
General consensus seems to be because looking at 2007 and the years either side, when the Geelong team had a similar composition, Geelong went 1-4 against a Hawthorn team that was considerably weaker than their 2014 version. After the humiliation of the 2008 GF (the loss that robbed Geelong of a 3-peat and football immortality), Geelong finally got a bit of steel in their spine against Hawthorn, and reversed the situation, but as of 2007, Geelong were in a 3 year block of being our bunnies. To think that 2007 Geelong team would have faired any better against the 2014 Hawthorn is pure fantasy.

could use that construct to say the current Richmond is superior to the threepeat hawks, which I'm not sure applies either

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Hawthorn's 2013-15 "dynasty" is like the Lleyton Hewitt "dynasty". He just happened to be up and about at the time of that in between period when Pete Sampras was fading and before Roger Federer was ready to go.
Yes, and somehow Brisbane's threepeat is solely due to the fact that Port Adelaide kept tripping over their own shoelaces in the Qualifying Finals, and Hawthorn's run from 83-91 is only because they couldn't cope with the mighty thread of Graham Cornes' Adelaide after their first year... ;)

In all seriousness, regardless of the opposition, Hawthorn was an exceptionally good side - especially in the 2012 incarnation, which was their most awesome side IMO, but just with one critical weakness in terms of key defenders.

The only side I can think of which really did Bradbury their way through to multiple flags is Adelaide 97-98 - but what do they care? They won back-to-back flags.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes, and somehow Brisbane's threepeat is solely due to the fact that Port Adelaide kept tripping over their own shoelaces in the Qualifying Finals, and Hawthorn's run from 83-91 is only because they couldn't cope with the mighty thread of Graham Cornes' Adelaide after their first year... ;)

In all seriousness, regardless of the opposition, Hawthorn was an exceptionally good side - especially in the 2012 incarnation, which was their most awesome side IMO, but just with one critical weakness in terms of key defenders.

The only side I can think of which really did Bradbury their way through to multiple flags is Adelaide 97-98 - but what do they care? They won back-to-back flags.

And truth me told man for man their side was probably better than where they finished on the ladder those seasons anyway

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton

Idk if you know of the ebb and flow of this thread an the other one (Comparing Geelong's 11 and Hawthorn's 14 GF wins). It wouldn't be a big deal if some of your fellow Hawthorn friends toned down the BS. The lack of acknowledgment of the other teams iof the time in these threads is ridiculous. I've tried to be objective about it and explain why Geelong's winning this poll. But these guys don't get it.

Some of these guys want to embellish the victories and downplay the losses. The 08 GF was this mythical, legendary conquest of the goliath Geelong team that only Hawthorn could do. But the subsequent years of 09-12 the team was still in development and cannot be judged as a GF winning calibre team. It was part of the development plan Clarko had in mind all along.

Had they said something closer to normal like "We knocked Geelong off their perch unexpectedly. But then we lost our way because of it in the following couple of years. Then we got our act together and became a good team from 11 and built on that season and then started humming in 13. Had we lost 08, we probably wouldn't have had so bad seasons from 09, but I reckon we'd have won a GF soon afterwards ", that'd would've been fine, and neutrals like me wouldn't be taking shots at Hawthorn.

But no, that's not what's occurred in these threads. You read about injuries this, rebuilding that.

C'mon, man.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Idk if you know of the ebb and flow of this thread an the other one (Comparing Geelong's 11 and Hawthorn's 14 GF wins). It wouldn't be a big deal if some of your fellow Hawthorn friends toned down the BS. The lack of acknowledgment of the other teams iof the time in these threads is ridiculous. I've tried to be objective about it and explain why Geelong's winning this poll. But these guys don't get it.

Some of these guys want to embellish the victories and downplay the losses. The 08 GF was this mythical, legendary conquest of the goliath Geelong team that only Hawthorn could do. But the subsequent years of 09-12 the team was still in development and cannot be judged as a GF winning calibre team. It was part of the development plan Clarko had in mind all along.

Had they said something closer to normal like "We knocked Geelong off their perch unexpectedly. But then we lost our way because of it in the following couple of years. Then we got our act together and became a good team from 11 and built on that season and then started humming in 13. Had we lost 08, we probably wouldn't have had so bad seasons from 09, but I reckon we'd have won a GF soon afterwards ", that'd would've been fine, and neutrals like me wouldn't be taking shots at Hawthorn.

But no, that's not what's occurred in these threads. You read about injuries this, rebuilding that.

C'mon, man.

richmond recently were two wins from a three peat. This is not a rare occurrence. Plenty of teams just missed out. Hawthorn in the eighties etc etc

actually doing it is rare

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
It wouldn't be a big deal if some of your fellow Hawthorn friends toned down the BS. The lack of acknowledgment of the other teams iof the time in these threads is ridiculous. I've tried to be objective about it and explain why Geelong's winning this poll. But these guys don't get it.
"Fellow Hawthorn friends"? You did see that I'm a Geelong supporter, right?

I wouldn't waste time trying to "explain" things to people on an Internet forum, 'tis an exercise in pissing into breezes.

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
could use that construct to say the current Richmond is superior to the threepeat hawks, which I'm not sure applies either

The difference between the Hawthorn wins over Geelong in the last 14 years, and the Richmond wins over Hawthorn is that the Richmond wins over Hawthorn were never in a cut-throat final. In fact the Hawthorn losses to Richmond were usually in the context of a team that had top 4 wrapped up and with their eyes on an upcoming (usually successful) finals series. Sure, we lost to two finals to Geelong over that period, but never when it would have directly knocked us out of contention, although the losses did help do that.

On a serious note, who would win out of 2007 Geelong vs 2014 Hawthorn would come down to context IMO. If it was a grand final, prelim or some other form of knockout final, it is hard to have confidence Geelong would get close. If it was a home and away game with no impact on finals spots, Geelong might fluke a win.

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You literally were quoted dragging Gary Jr into the conversation because he liked an Instagram post.

I didn't compare GAJ to a guy that was responsible for a 20 year old fan ODing on Heroin. It was you that seemed to be comparing blowing 0.068 to blowing a girl's life with H.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I didn't compare GAJ to a guy that was responsible for a 20 year old fan ODing on Heroin. It was you that seemed to be comparing blowing 0.068 to blowing a girl's life with H.

No I responded to the idea that liking an Instagram post somehow makes one of our greats an ogre by pointing out that your poster boy is a convicted drink driver

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No I responded to the idea that liking an Instagram post somehow makes one of our greats an ogre by pointing out that your poster boy is a convicted drink driver

Right, so I never made any comparisons, you did, and now you have a go at me by claiming I'm saying something about exactly how ogre like GAJ's intolerant god bothering is. I made no such statement. Check my post if you don't believe me. I poked some fun at the idea of a father-son party involving the two, and the polarity of GAS handing out the heroin, while GAJ hands out the religious advice (and yes, I know his dad is a god botherer too, but at least GAJ is a bit more consistent with his messaging, and tends to stick to lines from the bible instead of lines from his big bag of heroin).

Oct 14, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So let me get this straight. Geelongs era of dominance was between 2007 and 2011 and Hawthorns was 2007-2015

Cats won 2007, 2009 and 2011

Hawks won 2008, 2013, 2014 and 2015

The only time they faced off was in Geelongs era and Hawks won.

4 premierships vs 3

Am I missing something.

Hawks easily. Like in 2014, we would have smashed them.

TEDDY24INC

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Mt.evelyn
AFL Club
Geelong
So let me get this straight. Geelongs era of dominance was between 2007 and 2011 and Hawthorns was 2007-2015

Cats won 2007, 2009 and 2011

Hawks won 2008, 2013, 2014 and 2015

The only time they faced off was in Geelongs era and Hawks won.

4 premierships vs 3

Am I missing something.

Hawks easily. Like in 2014, we would have smashed them.
Hawthorn dominance was 2008, 2013-2015 inclusive, bout it, at least start your post with something half resembling the truth

Back