Strategy Geelong 2017 Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

I did read his post and wasn't confused at all and since i've read some of your posts as well and even if he did use that specific thread you're suggesting you'd still follow him there and sook it up as you have in the past.

You hadn't contributed anything to this thread but as soon as you seen the CS criticism you felt compelled to whinge and complain that it was off topic. Not saying Bobby is right or wrong but it's pretty sad that as a supporter you can't criticize your own without someone like you cracking it.
You like this word, so we should meet in the playground, playtime or hometime?

Yes I criticised him on that thread for claiming that he would rather see us lose than win if it meant Scott remained as coach, as I did on the thread after the Adelaide win (probably the best win of the year) where he had a complete meltdown attacking the coach and supporters.

I criticised him above for the attack on CS which took the comments further than the comment regarding Bews, as he appears unable to contain his hatred for the Geelong coach. I was not the only one to notice that.

Got a problem with people commenting here? - complain to the mods.

Our performance did speak for itself sydneys mids belted us in prelim and regular season. And gws and western bulldogs both outgunned Sydney comfortably in the finals series. We barely put away hawthorn!
Quite selective in your examples. If you use Sydney In the Home and away you can't conveniently leave out the 2 dogs victories either

You like this word, so we should meet in the playground, playtime or hometime?

Yes I criticised him on that thread for claiming that he would rather see us lose than win if it meant Scott remained as coach, as I did on the thread after the Adelaide win (probably the best win of the year) where he had a complete meltdown attacking the coach and supporters.

I criticised him above for the attack on CS which took the comments further than the comment regarding Bews, as he appears unable to contain his hatred for the Geelong coach. I was not the only one to notice that.

Got a problem with people commenting here? - complain to the mods.

You sooked it up at Bobby's comment so you're the one with the problem.

And I use that word because it's the perfect description of you and then again could easily come up with another word to describe you after wanting to meet me in a playground.

Quite selective in your examples. If you use Sydney In the Home and away you can't conveniently leave out the 2 dogs victories either
Not only that, we didn't play for a month before coming into the prelim.

The best form team (imo) in the comp was GWS - same thing. And although they played better in their prelim than us, they never really got going. You need luck to win a flag, and that was the Bulldogs bit of luck.

Every outside player dropped in output in 2016. Probably a coincidence. But if it isn't, needs looking into.

Also our passing into the 50 was atrocious. Probably just another coincidence.
Serious question. Do you think if Dangerwood passed to an outside player like Duncan (who has a great kicking efficiency) rather than bomb it long to Hawkins, we could chip it into our inside 50 and hit a leading player?

Change your username to reflect something more appropriate to your posting tune ;)

It is going to be Dangerwood or bust for a second consecutive season.

(Snipped for focus.)

Doesn't work. He was going to be our saviour. And as I pointed out at the start of 2016, won't happen. Get it out to an elite outside player and they get it into our forwards, lace up. Patience. Didn't happen in 2016. In 2016 it was about Brownlows and metres gained. Wasted year.

Serious question. Do you think if Dangerwood passed to an outside player like Duncan (who has a great kicking efficiency) rather than bomb it long to Hawkins, we could chip it into our inside 50 and hit a leading player?
If he can't do that, drop him and find someone who can. If we don't have them, then what is the point of Dangerfield and Selwood?

We tried the two man super duo thing, and they had as a good a season as you can get. And it failed. Sure we were good, but everyone knows the problem.

Actually, I have to agree with CF. Guthrie had a few good cameos last season, But Blicavs, Motlop, Duncan, Cockatoo, & Scooter didn't have great seasons, and really need to lift this year.
Cockatoo only played 10 games and rarely as a midfielder and Scooter only came into the team late in the year so can't really be included in discussions. According to some on this board Blicavs was fairly good but I'm inclined to agree with you there because he isn't a midfielder anyway. Both Motlop and Duncan had reasonable seasons regardless of popular belief... And as for Guthrie, well you've just disagreed with CF who suggested that it was either Dangerfield and Selwood or bust despite then suggesting you're also in agreeance... you can't have your cake... Also, heading into that final Menegola had stepped up and was in reasonable form. You simply don't get to that position without a fully working midfield, it's naive to remotely suggest so.
In fact, I'd go so far to say Duncan went backwards after showing he can be an A grade midfielder in 2015. There were several games throughout the season where opposition tagged Paddy & Joel out of the game, and the club couldn't find anyone to step up apart from Guthrie in a few games. The swans prelim is pivotal, because what is the point of beating teams in the H&A when you have such an easily exploitable defect you can't overcome in the finals, or possibly the MC refused to see it. The point is to win a flag, so failing so badly at the last hurdle is a true failure. So, yes, he can base it off one game.
So you're suggesting one performance can be attributed to the failures of one area on the ground and then suggest off the back of that that same area failed for an entire season... wow!
But tell me this, what gives you the right to be such a dick towards the guy who just posted an opinion? That was not cool. :thumbsdown:o_O

A dick? I think that's just you being a little precious don't you think. Maybe purchase some crayons and go back to the drawing board because I too were giving an opinion.

A dick? I think that's just you being a little precious don't you think. Maybe purchase some crayons and go back to the drawing board because I too were giving an opinion.
Yes, you were expressing an opinion, but you were being rude about it, which makes you a dick in my books. That's my opinion, I guess.

I think the Swans prelim pretty much encapsulated all that was wrong with our 2016 season, so in that sense, it does define the team's year. I only hope the MC are addressing it for 2017, and not just thinking "as long as we play our own game we'll be OK" crap. "Our own game" wasn't good enough, and we came within a bee's D of losing to Hawthorn too in the QF. Another example of what happened in 2016 when you tag Paddy & Joel out of the game.

I think the Swans prelim pretty much encapsulated all that was wrong with our 2016 season, so in that sense, it does define the team's year. I only hope the MC are addressing it for 2017, and not just thinking "as long as we play our own game we'll be OK" crap. "Our own game" wasn't good enough, and we came within a bee's D of losing to Hawthorn too in the QF. Another example of what happened in 2016 when you tag Paddy & Joel out of the game.

Unfortunately the prelim showed we could still lose badly even when both played well too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately the prelim showed we could still lose badly even when both played well too.
The prelim in particular showed that we left too little to too few
Danger and Sel carried us.. if no one else came along for the ride we were in strife

Yes, you were expressing an opinion, but you were being rude about it, which makes you a dick in my books. That's my opinion, I guess.

I think the Swans prelim pretty much encapsulated all that was wrong with our 2016 season, so in that sense, it does define the team's year. I only hope the MC are addressing it for 2017, and not just thinking "as long as we play our own game we'll be OK" crap. "
Up against the best midfield in the business in Sydney and we matched them after quarter time. Slow starts more than a poor midfield is what appears to have become a problem.

And no it wasn't rude at all, harden up.

Our own game" wasn't good enough, and we came within a bee's D of losing to Hawthorn too in the QF. Another example of what happened in 2016 when you tag Paddy & Joel out of the game.

So we defeated a team coming off 3 premierships in a row, in a final, and without our two best midfielders firing. I'd say the others stepped up and played a part don't you think? Again undermining an opinion which seems to have gained momentum from a chinese whisper and isn't necessarily correct.

Up against the best midfield in the business in Sydney and we matched them after quarter time. Slow starts more than a poor midfield is what appears to have become a problem.

And no it wasn't rude at all, harden up.

So we defeated a team coming off 3 premierships in a row, in a final, and without our two best midfielders firing. I'd say the others stepped up and played a part don't you think? Again undermining an opinion which seems to have gained momentum from a chinese whisper and isn't necessarily correct.
Yeah Selwood and dangers impact in the qualifying final was below average.. Guthrie turned the game in the middle and blitz had a good game. Menengola/Cowan serviceable

Motlop also had some good big last half moments in that game, not that the haters would care to acknowledge
Unfairly maligned at times last year. He was unfit for pre-season yet still contributed 38 goals. He was in All-Australian calculation a third of the way through the year.

Motlop also had some good big last half moments in that game, not that the haters would care to acknowledge

He played some good games last year without question. I'd argue the problem was the gap between his best and worst was huge, and some of his poor games were beyond pathetic. Plus people remember his most recent game, which was so bad it killed his chances of being traded.

And I use that word because it's the perfect description of you and then again could easily come up with another word to describe you after wanting to meet me in a playground.
Oh dear oh dear, still at are you? Comments on a personal level to a person you have never met!!! Are you that fragile? Apart from your one comment your sole contributions to this forum is to launch attacks at a critic of your fellow Geelong coach hater, why don't you focus on the footy discussion and give the limp abuse away? We both support the Cats do we not?

He played some good games last year without question. I'd argue the problem was the gap between his best and worst was huge, and some of his poor games were beyond pathetic. Plus people remember his most recent game, which was so bad it killed his chances of being traded.

Perfect point - :thumbsu:

He was not alone there. Had several mates thru the year with the exact same affliction.

Fix that - getting "higher lows" and maintain the highs - even without lifting them - and we'd have made it a lot further last year.

Hell, even this year, trim the bottoming out of the players and get more consistent and that will put us at the pointy end again IMO.

Its close.

Go Catters

Actually, I have to agree with CF. Guthrie had a few good cameos last season, But Blicavs, Motlop, Duncan, Cockatoo, & Scooter didn't have great seasons, and really need to lift this year. In fact, I'd go so far to say Duncan went backwards after showing he can be an A grade midfielder in 2015. There were several games throughout the season where opposition tagged Paddy & Joel out of the game, and the club couldn't find anyone to step up apart from Guthrie in a few games. The swans prelim is pivotal, because what is the point of beating teams in the H&A when you have such an easily exploitable defect you can't overcome in the finals, or possibly the MC refused to see it. The point is to win a flag, so failing so badly at the last hurdle is a true failure. So, yes, he can base it off one game. But tell me this, what gives you the right to be such a dick towards the guy who just posted an opinion? That was not cool. :thumbsdown:o_O
No other team found it easily exploitable, and neither did Sydney in the second half. The sky isn't falling, and our midfield will worry most if not all teams this year. Take the emotions out of the loss and it's just a game we started too slowly, understandable with one game in the past four weeks under our belt, right?

Just to clarify...GWS list is not younger than Geelong's list.

According to fanfooty, GWS are indeed a younger list if your talking the 44 senior players.

GWS average forward line age is 24 years, 8 months (Johnson adds on three years to the average given he's 34).
Geelong average forward line age is 24 years, 8 months.

GWS average midfield age is 24 years, 10 months.
Geelong average midfield age is 26 years, 5 months.

GWS average back line age is 26 years, 2 months.
Geelong average back line age is 27 years, 10 months.

The difference between their list compared to ours, you can take out some of their older players and it won't effect the team like it would to us.
Johnson is a luxury to their side just as he was to ours in his last season at Geelong as his absence was not felt all that much.

Shut up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back