Geelong 2018 = Geelong 2007

Power Play

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
What exactly was Charter’s input at Geelong?

It's never been specified exactly what input Charter and Dank had at Geelong. We just know they both had some sort of major input there.

2018-05-15 16.40.59.png

Power Play

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Yep, as I thought-‘never specified’ and ‘we just know’. Lol.
Perhaps just be grateful that that superlative Geelong team was a decade ago.

Hang on, isn't this very thread implying that the current Geelong team is as good as their 2007 team?

lollol

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2014
NT
AFL Club
Sydney
I was going to bump this beauty myself. But, geez some people are quick and beat me too it.

Geelong are cooked. That midfield is full of one way runners...

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's more to do with Essendon than Geelong when they play like this they are unbeatable they had 36 tackles in the first quarter!!

There is still plenty of time for Essendon to * this up. Part of the reason they have such a large gap between their best and worst is because the fallout of the drug cheating fiasco has left too many of their players mentally fragile. If Geelong can get a few early in the third quarter, watch Essendon capitulate like a beaten puppy.

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There is still plenty of time for Essendon to **** this up. Part of the reason they have such a large gap between their best and worst is because the fallout of the drug cheating fiasco has left too many of their players mentally fragile. If Geelong can get a few early in the third quarter, watch Essendon capitulate like a beaten puppy.
Now that that's sorted, what do you think of Geelong when they don't have their Andrews Stadium safety blanket?

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Now that that's sorted, what do you think of Geelong when they don't have their Andrews Stadium safety blanket?

I don't think Andrew's stadium is a massive advantage. Like Hawthorn's record in Tassie it is partly bolstered by the fact that they often play weaker sides down there that are unlikely to draw big blockbuster crowds if played at the MCG (or Etihad). There are some exceptions against stronger interstate sides, but they are often weaker at any ground in Victoria. So while there is a small advantage, it is just not as large as most of their haters (of which I am one) would like people to think.

Today's result is more about Essendon being mentally soft and needing a shock like losing to a team having their worst start to a season ever to jolt their pitiful leaders into action.

Either way, as a supporter of a team trying to stay in the 8, I'm happy for any win against a top 8 contender from a bottom 8 contender. And to King Cold, I point and laugh with derision.

cykablyat

Debutant
Feb 18, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Given their midfield power, should you not think that at this point in the season that they would be doing better than they currently are?

lollol

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2014
NT
AFL Club
Sydney
Ablett was probably the best player on the field yesterday (admittedly in a poor game) and had spearheaded a 51-point turnaround in the game he picked up his injury. Away. Against the team that’s just won it’s 7th straight match. He’d also had 39 and 35 in the opening two rounds.

Taylor spent three quarters of last year pinch hitting at CHF and STILL managed to shut down just about everyone sent his way when he had to go down back.

Like when you look at his 4th last game - you know, the one where he butt-f***ed Lance Franklin and your team bowed out of the competition?
Yeah I think today confirmed Ablett is cooked.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Forward 6 today
HF: Menegola, Crameri, Horlin-Smith
F: Parsons, Hawkins, Gregson

Two good players in that lot. Don't think Murdoch, Cunico or even Thurlow when he's up there add a lot either.

Plus s**t rucks.

They are about where they should be - lower end of the 8.

Undermanned and underrated defenders, a top 4 midfield, and a poor forward line = 5-8

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I think they're doing the anti-Richmond. They pick sides that have no desire to lay a tackle.

Won't go anywhere in finals if they're afraid to get dirty.
Exactly.
Cats way too big and heavy all over the field, just play a small speedy team with high FWD pressure (a la Hardwick), and the Cats will struggle. They've built a team for a era that has past unfortunately.

Will Cats play finals? they'll be out of 8 by tomorrow most likely, % back to the pack too, interesting times. What to do with Ablett..they can't shoot Bambi mid-season without a revolt from sentimental fans, but perhaps they need to.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Junktime Tommy made things a little more respectable

All in all, it was great to see the Geelong bubble burst in the AFL campaigner-ry Game
Their fans had got their arrogant swagger back after recent wins over the depleted Giants & Pies

Since 2001

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The only thing that could possibly stop us from winning this year's flag is if our injury crisis somehow gets even worse, but with no injuries from our past 2 games, things are looking up in the medical room and all I can say to the supporters of 17 other teams is that you should book your September holidays now if you haven't already booked them.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

North have a better chance than the cats!

Back