Analysis Geelong 2019 = Fremantle 2015?

Remove this Banner Ad

Also the bragging about beating Hawthorn and Richmond at the MCG earlier in the year.

Richmond without almost their entire starting backline.

Hawthorn missing Mitchell, Shiels, Burgoyne, Frawley and the captain in Stratton.

To be fair we were missing Polly Farmer, Jimmy Bartel, Stevie J, James Kelly, Paul Couch, Gary Hocking, Matthew Scarlett and Corey Enright

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fremantle of 2015 was scarily similar than geelong of 2014.

both sides got 17 wins. Both got 7 wins by 2 goals or less. More or less, they made the top 4 but they were not the big dog.

In 2014, Cats finished 3rd, when you look back should of finished 5th or 6th. Swans and hawks were the big dogs that year. They missed finals in 2015, then recovered.

In 2015, freo finished top, when they should of finished 6th or 7th. the big dog in 2015 was the hawks. Freo collapsed in 2016, in which i am still bitter about to this day. They are slowly recovering.

Fremantle of 2015 was scarily similar than geelong of 2014.

both sides got 17 wins. Both got 7 wins by 2 goals or less. More or less, they made the top 4 but they were not the big dog.

In 2014, Cats finished 3rd, when you look back should of finished 5th or 6th. Swans and hawks were the big dogs that year. They missed finals in 2015, then recovered.

In 2015, freo finished top, when they should of finished 6th or 7th. the big dog in 2015 was the hawks. Freo collapsed in 2016, in which i am still bitter about to this day. They are slowly recovering.

I think you're underrating Freo 2015 a bit. Didn't they lose a pretty close prelim to Hawthorn? Obviously finished the season nowhere nearly as strong as they started but they had a genuinely great first half of the season.

On the other hand, Geelong 2014 was pretty vulnerable most of the year from memory but kept scraping wins off the back of our huge reliance on Selwood, Hawkins (and I think that was the year Hawk's back was stuffed too) etc. These weaknesses eventually saw us go out in straight sets compared to Freo's prelim exit.

I would say Freo 2015 was a bit more like Geelong 2013. Both were pretty close to making a GF. In terms of Geelong 2019, it's still too early to tell. Could be a form slump that we could bounce back from or a slide into mediocrity. I have no idea really but the comp is very even so it seems silly to read too much into any team's form.
On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah Geelong 2014 was a terrible comparison. That was a very shaky side which outperformed by finishing percentage off the minor premiership. They had no chance that year, 2013 was the most recent time you felt that their hands were grasping the cup.

Freo in the first half of that season played b-grade St Kilda 2009 football, they really deserved to be where they were even if the wheels fell off. Geelong 2014 were pretenders, making up the numbers. Won 8 games by 2 goals or less.

I do not understand the goldfish mentality of the footy community. Geelong are a game plus percentage clear on top, and they have the best win-loss record against likely finalists. How this translates to anything but flag favouritism is a mystery.

Similarly, everyone has jumped on the Richmond train. They are 3 and 4 against the other top 8 teams.

Can nobody hold anything in their heads for more than 5 minutes?

Reminds me of West Coast 2005. Or they did. But now after this shambolic display Freo 2015 is more accurate.

Geelong 2019 = Geelong 2018 = Geelong 2017

Same s**t coaching with the same s**t players

We've just just finished higher this year because they acknowledged at the start of the year we had to do things differently

It worked and then they have progressively reverted to the same bullshit again as the season progressed

How many teams would Smith, Scott Selwood and Henderson get a game at ffs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong have spluttered a bit but have been pretty bloody good to this point. 3 losses in the last 5 and still sitting clear on top with a percentage of 135.

Freo 2015 were more like straight sets Hawthorn. Did enough to finish high on the ladder but weren't actually that good. Freo finished top in 2015 by half a game but WC (2nd) and Haw (3rd) were better sides. Richmond won 3 more games in 2018 than 2017 and had a higher percentage but their key difference was how they finished each year. Last year they had 3 single digit wins in the last 4 and weren't in peak form whereas in 2017 they were motoring along.

Rewriting history at its finest!

Half a game on top after resting almost the whole best 22 to finish the season!

It was no coincidence Freo dropped away when Fyfe went down.

Sam Michelle will always be a dog!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back