Injury Geelong 2020 Injury thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if it was just for the photo or an indication of the injury - but hoping it's a good sign that Clark doesn't have his arm in a sling

I knew his shoulder was bung but damn he grew a bit in rehab!

:p:p:p:p

GO Catters

Dahlhaus out with a foot injury now, doesn't sound great. Without him and Ablett our forward line is going to look more like a few years ago where we just put whichever least credentialed midfielders we have lying around down there... doesn't bode well

Dahlhaus out with a foot injury now, doesn't sound great. Without him and Ablett our forward line is going to look more like a few years ago where we just put whichever least credentialed midfielders we have lying around down there... doesn't bode well

Or we play the likes of Kreuger, Evans, Close, Taheny or Tarca who all listed as forward line players; while over the coming weeks we may see the return of the guy known as Cockatoo

Yes Kreuger is taller than those we have lost, but he could help stretch opposition defences

While Miers seems to have been playing a bit higher up the ground over recent weeks, but maybe this is the opportunity to get him to stay closer to goals & be the menacing small forward we need

I think we have plenty of options to play forward without having to revert to midfielders who don't quite fit into our midfield at the moment

Or we play the likes of Kreuger, Evans, Close, Taheny or Tarca who all listed as forward line players; while over the coming weeks we may see the return of guy known as Cockatoo

Yes Kreuger is taller than those we have lost, but he could help stretch opposition defences

While Miers seems to have been playing a bit higher up the ground over recent weeks, but maybe this is the opportunity to get him to stay closer to goals & be the menacing small forward we need

I think we have plenty of options to play forward without having to revert to midfielders who don't quite fit into our midfield at the moment

Yeah i agree totally with your point of view their

It might be a godsend - in that Atkins and Dalhaus are now injured and cant be selected - try as they might - they are simply not enough - and you are not going to win premierships with those type of players - and you can add Simpson to that list - he is not quick enough - dreadfully slow against Coll

So as you say - the selectors hand is forced and Close or Kreuger or Evans get picked - and they might be a big improvement on others who filled those positions

And im glad in your post - where you list other possible replacements - you didnt mention Fogarty - because he is another VFL standard player - 5 foot nothing - not quick - and cant kick over a jam tin

Some times you just need the opportunity - Jason Ball before he played his 1st game was doing absolutely nothing for Swan Districts - and then the Eagles had injuries so they were forced to pick him - and he played a ripping 1st game ( and had a terrific career ) and Malthouse came out after that game and said Jason Ball surprised him with his ability - thats it - youve just got to get that opportunity

Or we play the likes of Kreuger, Evans, Close, Taheny or Tarca who all listed as forward line players; while over the coming weeks we may see the return of the guy known as Cockatoo

Krueger is very agile so he would do fine.

Probably pick parsons to play forward though. You know they will.

Dahl with a medium term foot - no idea what but sounds like a hot spot type thing.
No runningwhile it heals then slowly load back up - id suggest his season is done.

Again, im no Dr nor do we know wxactly what the foot issue is - im just going off previous medium term foot issues.

GO Catters

Dahl with a medium term foot - no idea what but sounds like a hot spot type thing.
No runningwhile it heals then slowly load back up - id suggest his season is done.

Again, im no Dr nor do we know wxactly what the foot issue is - im just going off previous medium term foot issues.

GO Catters
That would be unfortunate, he's a key element in our system when it comes to F50 defence, and keeping the ball locked in there.
He's still nearly always the last man to get up when the umps clear the scrums.

GO Catters

A shame for Dahl, but another opportunity for us to look at someone else.

One upside with all that's going is we will get an accelerated assessment of the boys waiting in the wings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit surprised no surgery.
Very high chance of recurrence.

yeah essentially 100% chance with young men returning to contact sport.

Geelong generally try to take a conservative approach with most of their injuries and avoid surgery if possible.

I think he has booked in a date for end of year reconstruction already and see how it rehabs. if it happens again will be put on ice, but if he gets through, well lucky him and he plays out the season.

Yeah i agree totally with your point of view their

It might be a godsend - in that Atkins and Dalhaus are now injured and cant be selected - try as they might - they are simply not enough - and you are not going to win premierships with those type of players - and you can add Simpson to that list - he is not quick enough - dreadfully slow against Coll

So as you say - the selectors hand is forced and Close or Kreuger or Evans get picked - and they might be a big improvement on others who filled those positions

And im glad in your post - where you list other possible replacements - you didnt mention Fogarty - because he is another VFL standard player - 5 foot nothing - not quick - and cant kick over a jam tin

Some times you just need the opportunity - Jason Ball before he played his 1st game was doing absolutely nothing for Swan Districts - and then the Eagles had injuries so they were forced to pick him - and he played a ripping 1st game ( and had a terrific career ) and Malthouse came out after that game and said Jason Ball surprised him with his ability - thats it - youve just got to get that opportunity
Lachie Fogarty is 5'11. No one seems to say anything about Parfitts height, nor Jack Steven. They are the same height to the cm. Gary Ablett jnr being only 2 cm taller doesn't seem overly affected by it. Lachie Neale in the mix for the brownlow is 3cm shorter.

As for his kicking, it seems fine to me. I rewatched some of his footage earlier today and he hit some notable 40+cm kicks inside 50 to Hawkins in 1-1s. He had a few ineffective kicks but they were mostly mid-tackle hacks forward.

I noticed a pretty bad day out against the Hawks where he did have a few kicks drop short but it seemed confined to that one match to me.

Let's see what he does tomorrow rather than write off a 17 gamer

Lachie Fogarty is 5'11. No one seems to say anything about Parfitts height, nor Jack Steven. They are the same height to the cm. Gary Ablett jnr being only 2 cm taller doesn't seem overly affected by it. Lachie Neale in the mix for the brownlow is 3cm shorter.

As for his kicking, it seems fine to me. I rewatched some of his footage earlier today and he hit some notable 40+cm kicks inside 50 to Hawkins in 1-1s. He had a few ineffective kicks but they were mostly mid-tackle hacks forward.

I noticed a pretty bad day out against the Hawks where he did have a few kicks drop short but it seemed confined to that one match to me.

Is Gary 6ft wow i thought Fogarty was smaller than that

Look like all Geel players i hope he goes fantastic - but my opinion is he wont - simply because he hasnt got the skillset

As for his kicking - go back to the West Coast game over in WA - his snap shots for goal - they were horrendous - they were a mixture between drop punts and torps - i dont know what they were - he has got a shocking ball drop

Wells has done a fantastic job - but he has now used 3 high picks on 3 blokes who couldnt kick a football - Tenace Smedts and Fogarty

Look like all Geel players i hope he goes fantastic - but my opinion is he wont - simply because he hasnt got the skillset

As for his kicking - go back to the West Coast game over in WA - his snap shots for goal - they were horrendous - they were a mixture between drop punts and torps - i dont know what they were - he has got a shocking ball drop

Wells has done a fantastic job - but he has now used 3 high picks on 3 blokes who couldnt kick a football - Tenace Smedts and Fogarty
Whatever your opinion of him, he was also a second round draft pick not a first

So went and watched the West coast game, his 3rd game ever at age 18. All 12 of his kicks in order below:

1. 45m kick from half back to half forward hits Hawkins on the chest. Was a high risk kick too, a couple of metres shorter or longer and he'd have turned it over to the three west coast players.
2. His 35m kick from half back to parfitt in the centre square goes over Parfitts reach by maybe 400mm.
3. Strong contested mark against some West coast player i can't identify but is clearly taller. 30m chip forward to i think Henry in space hit on chest.
4. Shot at goal maybe 35m out at a 45 degree angle while being tackled breaking away from a contest. Narrowly missed to the right
5. Mark in space forward 50. 40m out 10 degree angle. Goal kicked.
6. Long to a contest, maybe 50m+. Slipped through Dangerfields fingers but got picked up out the back of the pack and the next kick was i50 and a Hawkins mark 45 out 45 degree angle.
7 and 8. 30m kick to Ablett dropped slightly short and landed at his feet. GAJ good enough to flick hand pass back to Fogarty who had sprinted up to support. Follow up kick from Fogarty was inside 50 to Menzel who marked 45 out 45 degree angle
9. Free kick deep in the pocket. West Coast had crowded out other options so had to go the banana. Kicked from about an 85 degree angle and curled in to the near side.
10. Shot at goal from the middle of a crowd at the fall of the ball. Kicked a behind off approx 0 seconds opportunity to get the kick away.
11. Ran onto ball going full pace 30m out travelling at a 40ish degree angle to the goals, picked up and immediately snapped the kick to evade defender chasing. Missed by about 2m to the right.
12. 40m kick to Hawkins bounced short of target. Looks more like Hawkins misread it to me though as he was watching for opportunities with players streaming forward.

I went in with an open mind but you have managed to dissuade me from your argument. He's no Jordan Clark but his kicking is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back