Club Focus Geelong 2020 - Smith, Cameron, Higgins, Holmes, Neale, Stevens

AFL Club Focus

What is the Cats' priority this off-season?

• Recruiting via trade

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Recruiting via the draft

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
Geelong club focus thread

Data from footywire. To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

MelbCat

All Australian
Sep 21, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Liverpool
You had me until Laird, McEvoy, and Jenkins. Laird won't be that cheap, McEvoy would be great but why would he even be leaving? Jenkins a known goal kicker but probably doesn't add the defensive pressure that underpins what the cats are trying to create.
Apparently Laird toured Geelong, not sure what the crows would want, but I'd much prefer Laird over Steven.
McEvoy no chance!!!
Jenkins a maybe as insurance just incase we lose Hawkins to injury

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Why would Hawthorn trade McEvoy?

We wouldn't...And he wouldn't want to go there anyway, given his farm is up near Mt. Beauty, in the opposite direction.

They'd be better off going after Pittonet, but it looks as though the Blues have beaten them to the punch there......Best ruckman in the VFL by far.

Will you be trading up for a higher pick?....Rumours are you blokes are very keen on Flanders.....You'll need a Top 10 pick to get him, I reckon.

We will be targeting 3/4/5 to get Flanders i think.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
We will be targeting 3/4/5 to get Flanders i think.

As will the Giants for a pick before the Green bid....Tough going this year.

Flanders is a bull in the china shop inside the square.....His intensity is insane.

Kemp is the best all-rounded big bodied mid/footballer of this draft I reckon.....Can play anywhere.....Shame about his ACL.

If you can hold onto 14 you could also score one of Jackson/Worrall.....Might need to trade out a future first though, so it depends if you're looking to score Ben King or not for next year....He might even be worth a crack this year for you, given your plethora of first rounders...Could be tempting for the Suns.

Apparently Laird toured Geelong, not sure what the crows would want, but I'd much prefer Laird over Steven.
McEvoy no chance!!!
Jenkins a maybe as insurance just incase we lose Hawkins to injury
Laird is a quality, I just don't know why we'd be chasing another medium defender

MelbCat

All Australian
Sep 21, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Liverpool
I'm not sure putting up a large amount of trade capital on a guy just to play him out of his natural position seems wise.
We've got 2e at 30yo who's form dipped.
Laird is only 25.
Fair point paying alot and playing out of position but at least we can use player's in multiple positions.

Laird is only 25.
Fair point paying alot and playing out of position but at least we can use player's in multiple positions.
Fair point on 2es age and I know the MC prefer Clark on a wing, but we looked really good early on the season with 2e out and Clark rebounding off half back. I just think we have plenty of options for non- key defenders. If we'd lose a late first for him and you're dead set on a rebounding defender I'd rather draft a kid like Sharp who is a HBF/winger. If they want a first rounder plus upgrading other picks (which is fairly probable) then the value proposition gets worse.

I think you look at Clark as a HBF/winger and if we use one of our top 30 picks on a decent winger (e.g. Sharp) and another on a decent contested mid then (e.g. Dev Robertson) 75% chance we are more or less set in the middle for 2021 on when adding Constable/Narkle/Parfitt top that mix. 3rd top 30 pick I'm jumping between a contested mid and a kpd. If we have to drop Hendo to bring Steven in then a KPD would be needed I'd say.

If we take astute picks in those categories then we go into the 2020 trade/draft period with one need, a kpf, and two firsts.

Edit: we'd have two 2020 firsts and future 1st to try land a kpf

DanA

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2006
Richmond
AFL Club
Geelong
Laird is only 25.

There are good reasons for Touhy's form dip though. He missed all of pre-season with a knee injury and then had a newborn in late march which will have messed up his next 2-3 months. He never really had a chance to build fitness and it showed.

MelbCat

All Australian
Sep 21, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Liverpool
There are good reasons for Touhy's form dip though. He missed all of pre-season with a knee injury and then had a newborn in late march which will have messed up his next 2-3 months. He never really had a chance to build fitness and it showed.
I knew about the knee injury I didn't know about the new born. Which now makes sense

MelbCat

All Australian
Sep 21, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Liverpool
Fair point on 2es age and I know the MC prefer Clark on a wing, but we looked really good early on the season with 2e out and Clark rebounding off half back. I just think we have plenty of options for non- key defenders. If we'd lose a late first for him and you're dead set on a rebounding defender I'd rather draft a kid like Sharp who is a HBF/winger. If they want a first rounder plus upgrading other picks (which is fairly probable) then the value proposition gets worse.

I think you look at Clark as a HBF/winger and if we use one of our top 30 picks on a decent winger (e.g. Sharp) and another on a decent contested mid then (e.g. Dev Robertson) 75% chance we are more or less set in the middle for 2021 on when adding Constable/Narkle/Parfitt top that mix. 3rd top 30 pick I'm jumping between a contested mid and a kpd. If we have to drop Hendo to bring Steven in then a KPD would be needed I'd say.

If we take astute picks in those categories then we go into the 2020 trade/draft period with one need, a kpf, and two firsts.

Edit: we'd have two 2020 firsts and future 1st to try land a kpf
All valid points.
All depends on how many list spots we go in with. If I remember correctly Wells said he wasn't ruling anything out with picks players etc
If Laird was an option who knows he might go after him. If his soley going the draft rules all players out.
Going to be a very interesting 48hrs

Key defence: Blicavs, Taylor, Kolodjashnij, Henderson (pending contract), Schlensog (Cat B)
General defence: Henry, Stewart, Okunbor (Cat B)
Small defence: O'Connor, Tuohy, Bews, Clark, Z.Guthrie
Wing: Duncan, Narkle, Brownless, Simpson, Parsons, Kennerley, Cockatoo
Centre: Dangerfield, Selwood, Menegola, Steven, C.Guthrie, Constable, Fogarty
Small forward: Ablett, Miers, Dahlhaus, Atkins, Parfitt, Jarvis, Tarca
General forward: Rohan, Kreuger
Key forward: Hawkins, Ratugolea, Jenkins
Ruck: Stanley, Abbott, Fort

2019: 14, 17, 24, 36
2020: round 1 x2, round 2 x2

I'd say the list sits in an alright spot at the minute.

Key defence: Blicavs, Taylor, Kolodjashnij, Henderson (pending contract), Schlensog (Cat B)
General defence: Henry, Stewart, Okunbor (Cat B)
Small defence: O'Connor, Tuohy, Bews, Clark, Z.Guthrie
Wing: Duncan, Narkle, Brownless, Simpson, Parsons, Kennerley, Cockatoo
Centre: Dangerfield, Selwood, Menegola, Steven, C.Guthrie, Constable, Fogarty
Small forward: Ablett, Miers, Dahlhaus, Atkins, Parfitt, Jarvis, Tarca
General forward: Rohan, Kreuger
Key forward: Hawkins, Ratugolea, Jenkins
Ruck: Stanley, Abbott, Fort

2019: 14, 17, 24, 36
2020: round 1 x2, round 2 x2

I'd say the list sits in an alright spot at the minute.
KPD looks the thinnest point. A couple of injuries would mean maybe Kreuger is debuting as a KPD.

Overall not bad depth though Kelly will be hard to cover

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Thought that was the year before. Fair enough.

Still, there were a couple older rucks available. Even Ryder would have been a good fit.
Last year..

The guts of your point is fair.. and plenty of geelong supporters bemoan the way we have handeld the ruck situation..last year we reduced numbers from 4 to 2... we ar eprobably 1 or 2 short o our list

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
We had one too many last year and one too few this year.

Neither Smith or Abbott would improve our current position though so what can you do, the ruck void was years in the making and not because of last off season.
Yeah no issue with you letting those two go. They are depth.

Just surprised you didn't replace them with someone better.

Is there any reason Geelong didn't go for a decent ruckman in the off season?

I feel like it may cost them come finals time.

We offered 4 years to Goldstein he said no and almost everyone else we would have wanted wasn't gettable.

I agree with you though our ruck stocks have been costing us for years and we may look to trade one in again this off season.

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
We offered 4 years to Goldstein he said no and almost everyone else we would have wanted wasn't gettable.

I agree with you though our ruck stocks have been costing us for years and we may look to trade one in again this off season.
Herd from reliable source that Gawn or Grundy even Nic Nat are keen to come to Geelong

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Three first round picks, 11 and probably two more 12-20 before academy and F/S bidding.

What is the strategy given there hasn't been a regular NAB League season to follow?

A few options:

- use them all as they come, build for the future
- cash them in for points and trade up into the top 10
- trade some/all for experience (could use two and trade one for Ben Brown who is 4 years younger than Porkins and another 'tall guy who could play ruck that won't play ruck')

Back