Analysis Geelong 2021 - contenders or a decline

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
If Tom Stewart is your fastest line-breaking defender, that's might be a problem with your backline.

Stewart is very very fast. Only Gary Rohan from memory clocked a faster speed from Geelong this year. He's not a line-breaking defender because that's not his role but he is our defensive general and he's bloody quick despite being fairly big.

doyley

Debutant
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Constable will play more because he'll be at another club if he knows what is good for his career. He'd knock up his 50th game this season if he was at another club. It's one thing to develop at a strong club, but there comes a point when being on the park is more important for career development. Same goes for Narkle, Cockatoo and Clark. All of these guys must realise that they can't all break into a side, particularly when the coach is hell-bent on recruiting 30yo players instead of developing young players.
Clark and cockatoo have both been basically injured for most of the season. So hence why they weren’t playing probably.

doyley

Debutant
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
If Tom Stewart is your fastest line-breaking defender, that's might be a problem with your backline.
Blicavs is also actually amazingly the best endurance runner in the game? Is there something you got an issue with about that too?

tigers_of_old_08

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
RICHMOND
I say we take a trip down memory lane all the way back to October 24th, 2020 and you have your answer ;)

Sorry, when I said “this group” it was meant in context of the post I was referring to.
So no Ablett, no Taylor possibly and no Henderson, but with the possible addition of Cameron.
Personally, I don’t believe he has what’s required to win a GF, neither of the Scott brothers have. They’re good coaches but have always only been “thereabouts”.

TIGERS 2020 PREMIERSHIP CHAMPIONS

Andyy

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Cliff coming.

Great talent but mostly the older blokes. GF team was the 5th oldest team in history?

Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor, Tuohy, Henderson, Danger all getting on.

Need to get some youth down there with their picks.

Apr 20, 2014
Brunch
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Decline

If not because they rely on too many older players..... but the scars from a grand final loss will run deep. Especially since they gave up a match winning lead so easily.
It wasn't a match winning lead.....;)

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
With better kicking in front of the sticks, they would have had Richmond on the ropes at half time. They're an experienced team who probably need an injection of midfield pace, but I can't see them sliding out of the top 8. Have a look at the teams who missed finals and ask yourself how many of them you'd back against Geelong in 2021.
you could say that, But I could say we won the GF with minimal output from Lynch and JackR and Rioli, no Vlaus and houli tore his calf early but had to play it through because of Vlaus.. So could you imagine what we would've done had one of our two big forwards played well let alone two? See GWS vs Tigers GF and Cameron.

Can the CATS be up there? they need speed players, still too top heavy. Who knows...ladder position mid 8 someplace.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
There is no cliff.

People having been saying that since 2012.

They just find a way. Amazing club.

They will be there again, with bells on.
It does at a certain point, being wrong before doesnt mean the next prediction is wrong. A broken clock is right twice a day, it will come at some point.

The list profile would suggest a number of key players are right on that cusp of decline that can happen quickly.

Also anything less than a GF I 2021 could be considered decline based on the season. I dont think they'll miss finals, but I dont see them improving to win the flag and I dont tip them for the GF. Id say a 3rd-6th finish which probably constitutes decline.

Agree they are a fantastic long performing club though to a very good standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks and crows have done them before and are doing them now.

We have not in the AFL’s draft era. Once the draft became prominent have not had a pick better than 7 and not missed finals for more than 3 seasons at a time, and often only slipping out only 1 season at a time.

If you think we’re going to slide history suggests we will find a way to keep ourselves in contention.

Actually impressive considering the 07-11 list. Surprised this checked out.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
you could say that, But I could say we won the GF with minimal output from Lynch and JackR and Rioli, no Vlaus and houli tore his calf early but had to play it through because of Vlaus.. So could you imagine what we would've done had one of our two big forwards played well let alone two? See GWS vs Tigers GF and Cameron.

Can the CATS be up there? they need speed players, still too top heavy. Who knows...ladder position mid 8 someplace.
This is a silly argument. Geelong could say the same about minimal output from Hawkins and Dangerfield and Parfitt and Ablett were injured but played through them.

JackR and Rioli have had minimal output all year, not sure why you'd expect them to come good in a final. Riewoldt's 2.2 and 8 disposals is slightly better than his average during the season, so he could probably say he had an ok game. Lynch had 8 disposals, his season average is 9.

Actually impressive considering the 07-11 list. Surprised this checked out.
To be fair though that list was built off Geelong's worst period in the AFL era, between 98 and 03 they only made the finals once (and lost the elim) although never finished lower than 12th.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
There is no cliff.

People having been saying that since 2012.

They just find a way. Amazing club.

They will be there again, with bells on.

There is though. It's not fringe players getting older. It's the core.

Selwood and Hawkins debuted in 2007. They're still vital, Hawkins especially (Selwood could be in big trouble next season). Dangerfield, Henderson, Tuohy, Rohan, Stanley. They'll all be playing seniors and none are under 30. That doesn't include Higgins who will be 33 if they get him, or Steven and Jenkins.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
We've been on the slide since Gaz left us in 2010. Won a flag, made a GF and 4 prelims since 2010. Could've won at least 3 of those prelims to make the GF.

I'm sure most people would say that we're not contenders because we haven't had the list to win the flag since 2011, and I agree.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Hawks and crows have done them before and are doing them now.

We have not in the AFL’s draft era. Once the draft became prominent have not had a pick better than 7 and not missed finals for more than 3 seasons at a time, and often only slipping out only 1 season at a time.

If you think we’re going to slide history suggests we will find a way to keep ourselves in contention.

The Crows being smashed by Tippettgate sanctions has also played a significant part in them bottoming out.

Apr 20, 2014
Brunch
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa
There is though. It's not fringe players getting older. It's the core.

Selwood and Hawkins debuted in 2007. They're still vital, Hawkins especially (Selwood could be in big trouble next season). Dangerfield, Henderson, Tuohy, Rohan, Stanley. They'll all be playing seniors and none are under 30. That doesn't include Higgins who will be 33 if they get him, or Steven and Jenkins.
Yeah, but you were "going off a cliff" when you were going to lose Stevie J, Enright, Scarlett, Chapman, Kelly, Bartel, Ottens, Ling etc etc etc.

You've always found a way. It's made me sick at times, but it's unbelievable.

I'll never write off Geelong. I can't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back