Geelong 2022 = Geelong 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

In what sense? Game style or you just don’t care for either side? I think that’s the best GF match up we can get

It just feels like both teams have been around the top of the ladder forever. Geelong never fall away, Sydney sometimes have a bad year then next year straight back into GF contention.

As a one off I wouldnt mind this match but I can see both these teams being in GF's for the next 10 years. Geelong already loading up for another huge trade period, Sydney with their academies and advantages. Equalisation is not working with free agency and players knowing once they demand a trade to a chosen team it will 95 % sure get done regardless of contracts or a fair swap

It just feels like both teams have been around the top of the ladder forever. Geelong never fall away, Sydney sometimes have a bad year then next year straight back into GF contention.

As a one off I wouldnt mind this match but I can see both these teams being in GF's for the next 10 years. Geelong already loading up for another huge trade period, Sydney with their academies and advantages. Equalisation is not working with free agency and players knowing once they demand a trade to a chosen team it will 95 % sure get done regardless of contracts or a fair swap
To be fair to Sydney, they did get a ******* horseshit trading ban that set them back. All they did was follow the rules re. Buddy.

I agree that Geelong are a pack of campaigners.

Where would this year's side rank compared to the other 3 flags?

That 07 side was unstoppable but the 09 and 11 teams probably had much better opposition sides to face up to.

That 07 side was unstoppable but the 09 and 11 teams probably had much better opposition sides to face up to.

I would rank them 09, 07, 11, 22 on playing ability.

07 the rise, 09 the peak, 11 without Ablett a touch below.

The competition is much much weaker currently.

Last edited:

Depends how you look at it. Those other sides were better and or beat better teams to win. However it was possibly a greater club achievement this year as the list was all over the place with a lot of extremely old and old players and also some extremely inexperienced and unproven ones.

I would rank them 09, 07, 11, 22 on playing ability.

07 the rise, 09 the peak, 11 without Ablett a touch below.

The competition is much much weaker currently.
I would rate them

2011 the best. Absolutely dominated. Won first 13 games. Won two games by over 150 points. Beat the second best team by 100 points. beat the best opponent in a grand final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they all went into a round robin I actually would give the current side a good chance of doing some damage purely because it’s the most even spread of contributors and it has the best pure forward structure. There’s no one as good as Johnson or Chappy in the current side but there is no one in the same realm from 07-11 as what current Hawk and Cameron are. Add Stengle and close and Miers, plus the ability of the likes of Dangerfield to drift forward and I think it gives the current side a good shot at it.

If they all went into a round robin I actually would give the current side a good chance of doing some damage purely because it’s the most even spread of contributors and it has the best pure forward structure. There’s no one as good as Johnson or Chappy in the current side but there is no one in the same realm from 07-11 as what current Hawk and Cameron are. Add Stengle and close and Miers, plus the ability of the likes of Dangerfield to drift forward and I think it gives the current side a good shot at it.
Wonder if we could get squiggle to do this?

Stengle is pretty close to sj and chappy on current forum. Cameron also has a lot of the skills of Sj.

the weakness in the current geelong side compared to the earlier sides is the midfield and ruck.

Stengle is pretty close to sj and chappy on current forum. Cameron also has a lot of the skills of Sj.

the weakness in the current geelong side compared to the earlier sides is the midfield and ruck.

As a pure forward Stengle is BETTER now than Johnson and Chapman IMO but he’s limited in what he can offer further up the ground. SJ and Chappy could rotate in the midfield and be better than most of the permanent mids in the other side. Fair point about Cameron who could easily be a 20 touch a game player further up the ground.

Ruck definitely a weakness though the second half of this season is about as well as our ruck has worked since Ottens retired.

I think defence is in favour of the previous generations - no one else from either side is as good as Scarlett but Stewart balances out Enright and the way the rest of the current unit works together is first class. It would be competitive at the very least I think

I would rate them

2011 the best. Absolutely dominated. Won first 13 games. Won two games by over 150 points. Beat the second best team by 100 points. beat the best opponent in a grand final.

2007 before 2009? 07 was more dominant but over worse competition. But the 09 Cats ran through a St Kilda team that was stacked, won their first 19 games. The Dogs were great too.

2007 before 2009? 07 was more dominant but over worse competition. But the 09 Cats ran through a St Kilda team that was stacked, won their first 19 games. The Dogs were great too.
Its hard to split. but we struggled against stkilda both times we played them so it wasnt just because we were having an off day like all teams occassionally have. We got a little handball happy with our strategy then and werent moving the ball foward as quickly as i would of liked Like in 07 and 11. This came undone the next season and was corrected in 11. In 2007 we were just too good For everyone.

Its hard to split. but we struggled against stkilda both times we played them so it wasnt just because we were having an off day like all teams occassionally have. We got a little handball happy with our strategy then and werent moving the ball foward as quickly as i would of liked Like in 07 and 11. This came undone the next season and was corrected in 11. In 2007 we were just too good For everyone.
Beating a great team is surely up there (2009).

I think there are a lot of parallels with Carlton 1995 here:
  • Extended run of success that began the decade prior (Carlton '79-'87 and Geelong '07-'11)
  • Focus on recruiting established players, including arguably the best midfielder in the comp (Williams/Dangerfield) and a second key forward to take heat off an existing star (Spalding/Cameron) as well as older role players (Rice/Clape/Hogg/Pearce vs Stengle, Rowan, Smith etc)
  • 'too old, too slow' criticisms that look pretty funny in hindsight
  • coming close in prior years: a grand final loss 2 years prior (1993/2020) and then a bad finals exit (Carlton straight sets in 1994/Geelong smashed by Port and Melbourne 2021) that meant people wrote them off
  • Dominant and experienced defence built around a generational star (Silvagni/Stewart)
  • a big winning streak that people really underestimated leading into finals
  • finals series = a tough game against a surprising opponent (Brisbane/Collingwood) followed by two dominant games including a smashing on GF day where the other team's ageing star forward was barely sighted.

I could see things progressing in a similar way for Geelong too. 1996 Carlton were right in the mix early in the year, fell away a little but were still right 'there' in an extremely even season (North and Sydney were 1-2 on the ladder, but only 2 games ahead of 6th placed Essendon). Carlton in '96 went out in straight sets, but again the old crappy finals system had a big impact on that. Finishing 5th, Carlton played 4th placed West Coast in Perth, then 3rd placed Brisbane at the Gabba (Brisbane lost to 6th placed Essendon in week 1. under the current system Carlton would have smashed 8th placed Hawthorn, then lost to West Coast most likely).

Carlton then dropped away a bit in 97 and early '98 but turned things around really fast, and bouned back to another grand final in '99 and top 4 finishes in 2000 and 2001, extending the successful run far longer than expected. (Before people bring up salary cap... lets just keep it simple and understand it was a different era and 2022 Geelong are a lot smarter). I could totally see the same happening for Geelong.

And also, lets not forget that Carlton ALMOST kept things rolling along and had it not been for a bit of luck (Kouta's knee injury, Corey McKernan dropping off a cliff at age 28, Stephen O'Reillly never looking good at Carlton, Whitnall's injuries, Hamill leaving - a lot went wrong for Carlton that wasn't entirely self inflicted).

Point is: I think there's a lot of parallels here, and Geelong could keep this rolling for a LOT longer than the list profile suggests, made even easier by free agency and the increased amount of player movement in 2022.

Nah 2022 would maul 2007. 2022 has an actual forward line and team defence.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Like 2007, Geelong were the team to beat from the 2nd half of the season
And like 2007 the Cats had to endure a stressful final against the Pies that went down to the wire before it could advance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back