Geelong and Umpires: Time for a Royal Commission?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawkins cops a shove then dives, how is that worse than Cody weightman getting a slight tug of the jumper and then attempting a backflip? Of thats right Cody doesn’t play for Geelong so it’s not the lead story on every fox footy show and sports radio programme

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
2 wrongs don't make a right.

Unless you are comfortable with our game heading towards soccer with acting involves at nearly every contest.

There is no arguement that Hawkins actions are OK because Cody did similar.

2 wrongs don't make a right.

Unless you are comfortable with our game heading towards soccer with acting involves at nearly every contest.

There is no arguement that Hawkins actions are OK because Cody did similar.

No, you are mistaken, I do not advocate or like the Hawkins action, it should be scrutinised and punished if the tribunal decides to. I am talking about the upheaval compared to the Cody one, Cody one was on Friday night football so was on “Primetime”, I don’t understand that part, that is all.

In the words of the esteemed Titus O'Reilly: "
And then we had Tom Hawkins, launch himself into the air like a ballerina to get a free kick for a push in the back that wasn’t there.

There are astronauts who haven’t traveled as far as Hawkins did.

I’m not sure what photos Hawkins has of the umpires, but they must be pretty damning.

He gets free kicks for staging and then doesn’t give away free kicks when he infringes.

It didn’t get the Cats across the line though, this wasn’t played in Geelong".

Hawkins cops a shove then dives, how is that worse than Cody weightman getting a slight tug of the jumper and then attempting a backflip? Of thats right Cody doesn’t play for Geelong so it’s not the lead story on every fox footy show and sports radio programme

Nah mate, you need to compare what Cody does to what Joels been doing for years. And if you did youd be right, same same.

Tom threw himself sideways a full step after the last touch from Frost, he wasnt pushed. Look at the replay. And even if the free kick was there (we agree to disagree) he should at least have been fined for the "mayo", as a Cats fan said earlier, or staging as most of us describe it. But of course he didnt coz, you know, Geelong.

No, you are mistaken, I do not advocate or like the Hawkins action, it should be scrutinised and punished if the tribunal decides to. I am talking about the upheaval compared to the Cody one, Cody one was on Friday night football so was on “Primetime”, I don’t understand that part, that is all.

Comparing 2 actions is literally the definition of excusing something as being OK because something else was.

And not the same in any way, Cody did get contact, he exaggerated it, sure, but the contact was there. Tom was mildly shepherded, no push, had the time to take another step before deciding to throw himself into the air as if shoved in the back.

MRO have the time to review these issues, this should have been a fine at the very least.

We need a rolling video review that can communicate with umpires live for situations exactly like this. Review free kicks, if theyre not justified/staged, reverse the free, perhaps throw in a 50 the other way. That would quickly stop staging. Itd probably stop half the posts on BigFooty too 🤣

Not for live action review, lt that roll. That way thered be some mistakes and something for us to argue about :laughv1:

Nah mate, you need to compare what Cody does to what Joels been doing for years. And if you did youd be right, same same.

Comparing 2 actions is literally the definition of excusing something as being OK because something else was.

It’s definitely not the same, Joel has the ball and shrugs the tackle often through the tackle when receiving the free, Cody often shirks the contest and forgets the ball and commando rolls or somersaults

He’s not a neutral fan.

A neutral fan would analyse facts and figures and come to the pretty straightforward conclusion that Geelong like most teams will occasionally benefit from poor umpiring, and microcosmically so too will Tom Hawkins. 16 seasons of evidence which shows he doesn’t get looked after at all, highlights the fact that, again, it’s not a neutral view: if it was, his view would be that he’s on the lower side of umpire favouritism. It’s not hard to access simple numbers
No, you're wrong and I'm right.

Walters took possession and then immediately tackled and ended up on the bottom of a pack.

Players are instructed to try and get the ball out - so Walters did exactly that rather than get pinged for holding the ball.

Umpires call?

Incorrect disposal.

I'm not even joking.

Walters took possession and then immediately tackled and ended up on the bottom of a pack.

Players are instructed to try and get the ball out - so Walters did exactly that rather than get pinged for holding the ball.

Umpires call?

Incorrect disposal.

I'm not even joking.

*, you're not even joking!?

I was having a seriously good chuckle about the whole situation; now I don't know what to think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fu**, you're not even joking!?

I was having a seriously good chuckle about the whole situation; now I don't know what to think.
hahaa. I must admit I don't know the rules anymore. There were 2 'deliberate' out of bounds payed on the weekend that I don't reckon the players could replicate if you made them try from the same spot with the same kick with 100 footballs each. Both were apparently correct calls, so what would I know?

hahaa. I must admit I don't know the rules anymore. There were 2 'deliberate' out of bounds payed on the weekend that I don't reckon the players could replicate if you made them try from the same spot with the same kick with 100 footballs each. Both were apparently correct calls, so what would I know?

The rules are tricky and it’s an impossible game to umpire. No point dwelling on the good or bad decisions IMO.

Don’t mention umpiring at all is a better idea as a fan.

The rules are tricky and it’s an impossible game to umpire. No point dwelling on the good or bad decisions IMO.

The rules really arent that tricky. The AFL just makes scrutiny of bad decisions a no-no so umpires get away with it.

They see throws and ignore them. They pay kicks which go 6m a mark while letting players run 30m without a bounce. Staging is a terrible look and has never been penalised because the AFL simply ignores issues.

And they have no problem with umpires who have vendettas against particular clubs.

The rules really arent that tricky. The AFL just makes scrutiny of bad decisions a no-no so umpires get away with it.

They see throws and ignore them. They pay kicks which go 6m a mark while letting players run 30m without a bounce. Staging is a terrible look and has never been penalised because the AFL simply ignores issues.

And they have no problem with umpires who have vendettas against particular clubs.

Tricky is the perfect adjective for them. In same cases you need to interoperate player intent, in some cases you need to determine the difference between "no prior" and "prior," which in real time could be half a second. Estimating 15m all the time, was it 14m or 16m? Did Hawkins use his hand to hold his ground, or to push off?

The rules are tricky because so many of them leave too much room for ambiguity.

I agree on staging though. It's getting far worse and more players need to be fined.

Tricky is the perfect adjective for them. In same cases you need to interoperate player intent, in some cases you need to determine the difference between "no prior" and "prior," which in real time could be half a second. Estimating 15m all the time, was it 14m or 16m? Did Hawkins use his hand to hold his ground, or to push off?

The rules are tricky because so many of them leave too much room for ambiguity.

I agree on staging though. It's getting far worse and more players need to be fined.

14m to 16m is fine. But they pay marks where the ball goes 6m and let players run 30m without bouncing. That isnt a spatial awareness issue.

If its really so bad then make it 20m for both and enforce it properly for both.

14m to 16m is fine. But they pay marks where the ball goes 6m and let players run 30m without bouncing. That isn't a spatial awareness issue.

If its really so bad then make it 20m for both and enforce it properly for both.

That rarely happens. I reckon I've seen both of those things happen once this year. Like any rule, you are going to get some rare shockers.

You make it 20m and it won't solve it, it's still the same problem just with a different number.

Its so bad these days I was actually abusing the umpire for not paying a free against Richmond last week, our player was spun 360 then went to ground got up and handballed, no free :oops: I thought they were focusing on paying frees for players that take to long to get rid of the ball?

Time to rid the game of half the rules and get rid of the rules committee altogether.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back