Geelong and Umpires: Time for a Royal Commission?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just the usual 'but-but-but-Richmond!' brigade. They see anything about Geelong and start pounding away on their keyboard, bless their hearts.
The thread is about Geelong not Richmond, yet here you are still talking about Richmond.

Surely 19 months is long enough to get over it?

I hate this. Idiots simply go “free kick count had two more” when looking deeper into where they were given / not given tells a much clearer picture of the story.
How many were missed in D50? How many were given in F50? How many resulted in scores? This is the data we should be able to access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go through and do it yourself then

No it doesn’t. Without fail every one of these threads has a huge Richmond contingent giving not a neutral view but an incredibly biased on and given that it’s their club who has enjoyed recent success it is odd
It's a thread about Geelong and all I read from Cats supporters is Richmond this Richmond that, so yes just a teeny weeny bit ironic.

The neutral view is that Geelong and Hawkins in particular get a regular reach around from the umpires.

What the fcuk is it about Richmond supporters and their incessant obsession with Geelong? I stopped worrying about Richmond in 2021... for obvious reasons
There is a certain sub-sect of Richmond supporters who will never get over what GAS did to them during their formative years supporting Richmond

It's a thread about Geelong and all I read from Cats supporters is Richmond this Richmond that, so yes just a teeny weeny bit ironic.

The neutral view is that Geelong and Hawkins in particular get a regular reach around from the umpires.

No it’s not. It’s your view, which isn’t neutral.

Hawkins has played 170 more games than Joe Daniher and has been awarded 70 more free kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice conspiracy.

Catters paranoid AF. Get over the 2020 GF loss will ya you lot.

What does that even mean? Slapping together random words doesn’t mean that I’ve actually done what you’ve claiming I’ve done, or any other Geelong fans.

The fact is no one can talk about a cats subject without you and a gaggle of fellows claiming some new and ever stupider conspiracy about umpiring or fixturing or MRP and the continual insistence you have on somehow trying to relate anything back to Richmond or some preconception that we have a chip on our shoulder about your club just highlights this fact

Neutral supporter happens to have a view which doesnt favour Geelong.

Geelong fans:- you're not neutral 🤣🤣🤣

#rentfree and flag free

He’s not a neutral fan.

A neutral fan would analyse facts and figures and come to the pretty straightforward conclusion that Geelong like most teams will occasionally benefit from poor umpiring, and microcosmically so too will Tom Hawkins. 16 seasons of evidence which shows he doesn’t get looked after at all, highlights the fact that, again, it’s not a neutral view: if it was, his view would be that he’s on the lower side of umpire favouritism. It’s not hard to access simple numbers

You thought last night was bad, just wait till they play us Monday, it’s always a diving and sooking masterclass and the umps absolutely lap it up

Oh the irony. Did I imagine the 24 frees to 17 free kick count in your favour last year?
Of all teams supporters yours remains the whiniest.
Still waiting for you to hand the flags back to the umpires who won you a couple of big preliminary finals.

Let's compare Hawkins to a couple of his peers over the last couple of seasons. Since the beginning of 2019 to Rd 3 2022 the average frees for and against have been:

Avg frees forAvg frees against
Lance Franklin1.261.71
Jack Riewoldt0.790.98
Josh Kennedy0.780.98
Charlie Dixon1.471.12
Tom Hawkins0.491.12

The idea that Hawkins is an umpires' pet just isn't based in reality.

The free kick had nothing to do with any of it, if anything Geelong should've won by 4 or 5 goals, the stats were well in favour of the Cats and the marks inside 50 prove that. The message Fagen will give to Andrews is don't look around and then stop and prop!!!
Should there be a royal commission after the freo vs giants game?

Freo had 42 free kicks to GWS only had 16

View attachment 1367195

Why was this clear in the back free not paid to Close with 7 mins remaining?

Brisbane conspiracy, corrupt AFL, cheat ground etc etc.

Never change BigFooty 😍
That one was not in the back, IMO.

As I posted earlier, it was a classic case of a player trying to milk a free by lunging forward, hoping the Brisbane player would fall into his back.

But he didn't. He managed to avoid it.

From that angle, especially the single frame you chose to use, it looks like he landed on his back - but the other angle which Ch7 showed afterwards, showed that he didn't actually land on his back.

The lunge forward was all the Geelong player's doing, he was not pushed. And the Lion's player didn't land in his back. So play on.

Geelong fans would know this technique as the 'Paul Chapman special', he made an art form of conning umpires with this move.

Carlton fans would probably now know it as the 'Cerra special' after he did about 5 times in the first couple of rounds.

Higgins from St. Kilda tries it about 5 times every week - but the umpires seem to be a wake up to him.

Last edited:
Should there be a royal commission after the freo vs giants game?

Freo had 42 free kicks to GWS only had 16
I'll field this one ... No.

Royal Commission's should be reserved for situations where a strangly lopsided Free Kick Count happens every single week, sometimes to unfathomable levels, for 6 years straight.

In isolation, a lopsided Free Kick Count doesn't suggest or indicate anything unusual. But when it happens week in, week out for the same team, regardless of their ladder position and regardless of the result - then the Federal Government should really step in and get to the bottom of why.

Let's compare Hawkins to a couple of his peers over the last couple of seasons. Since the beginning of 2019 to Rd 3 2022 the average frees for and against have been:

Avg frees forAvg frees against
Lance Franklin1.261.71
Jack Riewoldt0.790.98
Josh Kennedy0.780.98
Charlie Dixon1.471.12
Tom Hawkins0.491.12

The idea that Hawkins is an umpires' pet just isn't based in reality.
The idea that Hawkins only infringes 1.2 times each week is simply ludicrous.

It should realistically be about 4. They really do let him get away with murder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back