Review Geelong at the 2014 AFL National Draft - general overview and discussion

How did you rate Geelong's National Draft performance?

• 10 - Amazing!

• 5 - So-so

• 0 - Terrible

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely this debate ends with the 9 live players chosen btw pick 47 and 35. I believe that Cookatoo would have been there at 14 so did we want any of the following over Gregson??:
Harrison Wigg, Ed Vickers-Willis, Rose, Hamilton, Neal-Bullen, Lonie, Caleb Daniel, Bailey Dale or McGovern

For me the only ones of interest for our current makeup would have been Neal-Bullen, Wigg and EVW.

I think we rolled the dice hoping for Pickett or Wright but it didn't happen but I'm not sure we lost much either way. It was a gamble that didn't pay off but it didn't end up burning us either

Obviously the Goddard/Stanley was a completely different trade and will be debated for years to come as it plays out. I'd rather the kid that grew up here, barracked for us and I think at pick 21 suits a need over Stanley. However Stanley isn't without hope to turn that around.

I hear you ....but I have also heard a bit of this.. To me it has all the merits of the Salem Witch Trials. Test for Witch by dunking. If they drown , Innocent ... but if they don't then guilty so burn them. Prove the unprovable.
He may or may not have been there , what its down to is the want of him or his type on our list. If Wells wanted a quality mid moving up 4 spot got him 4 more players to look at and make a choice on. Gees were were linked to Marchbank at one stage and he ended up going in single figures. You can only pick who's there and the trade up gave us 4 more options

Mental note for next years draft comp:

"Only include players that Wells has either never interviewed, barely spoken to, or only interviewed once at the most"

and if we have a top 10 pick wait till the last hour to post in the comp. Not invited to the the draft night then it is not happening

and if we have a top 10 pick wait till the last hour to post in the comp. Not invited to the the draft night then it is not happening

That as well.

I reckon we've had a few first picks recently who have been surprised by their selection by Geelong. I wonder how Wells conducts a thorough due diligence on a prospective player without an involved interview? Whether he doesn't put much weight on the interview? I also wonder whether this strategy, if it is one, is purely to throw other clubs of the scent?

That as well.

I reckon we've had a few first picks recently who have been surprised by their selection by Geelong. I wonder how Wells conducts a thorough due diligence on a prospective player without an involved interview? Whether he doesn't put much weight on the interview? I also wonder whether this strategy, if it is one, is purely to throw other clubs of the scent?

Well my guess is why Club X asks a kid to spell Thymosin Beta-4 backwards , and quiz's like which comes first the chicken or the egg , he and our guys cut to the chase , study the football , talk to coaches etc. Only a guess but.

Last edited:
Well my guess is why Club X ask to a kid to spell Thymosin Beta-4 backwards , and quiz's like which comes first the chicken or the egg , he and our guys cut to the chase , study the football , talk to coaches etc. Only a guess but.

Clearly the bulk of a players assessment is made by quiet observation. We nearly always draft kids of good character so their personality certainly has a major weighting. I suppose you can find these sort of things out by subtle questioning of coaches etc.

Players who have left or are about to leave & their replacements:
Enright - Thurlow
Rivers - Kolodjashnij
Christensen - Lang
Varcoe - Hartman
Lonergan - ???
Kelly - Bews
Bartel - Jansen
Stevie J - Cockatoo
McIntosh - Simpson?

Could see Blicavs taking Lonergan's spot & may perform well, may not, that's why I haven't chosen him or anyone as our Lonergan replacement yet as I don't think we have one.

Thought we were going to get a Lever or Durdin to take over the Lonergan spot in 1-2 years but obviously haven't so will need to try & trade in another ready-made KPD or draft one and wait a couple of years or more before they start performing consistently.

I don't see Jansen replacing Bartel in our DEF/FWD line as I think we will swap the team positions around.

No idea who is replacing McIntosh, Simpson only if he is fit otherwise we don't have a genuine ruckman...

The rest I think could definitely come in for those guys & perform.

Of course by the time some of them have retired in another 1-2 year we will have more draftees to choose from to take their spots.

My take:

FB: Rivers Lonergan Kelly
HB: Mackie Taylor Enright

Rotation options: Bartel, Bews, Thurlow Varcoe, , Brown,
Next season: Cockatoo, Kolodjashnij, Blicavs

Long term Thurlow and Kolodjashnij are the natural replacement for Enright and Rivers, I think Cockatoo improves on Varcoe as a Wojak type line breaker immediately as well. Bews could play instead of Kelly that comes with the caveat of having to find midfield minutes from someone else, Cockatoo the obvious candidate. We all agree Lonergan is a thorn in our side long term. Blicavs is worth an experiment, Walker maybe or even Stanley (I'm dubious). Toohey a long shot. We've got options but I agree with most, we'll likely have to go to the trade table next October if Lonergan retires. We haven't really got a replacement for Mackie.

Rucks:
1st: McIntosh
2nd: Blicavs
Rotation: Simpson, Walker
Next season: Stanley, Vardy, Clarke?

We didn't have Vardy at all last season but he's more a forward/2nd ruck IMO and with McIntosh and Simpson permi-crocked it has us in a difficult situation. Stanley and Clarke are 200cm so in theory they could play as ruckmen and I'm hoping Stanley surprises with a propensity for ruck work I've not seen. Otherwise it's grim. I think next trade period we should chase Bellchambers or Luenberger who are potential free agents but that makes the Stanley trade a bit of a head scratcher. Still I can't see McIntosh or Simpsons playing on much longer given injury histories so perhaps more than one fresh ruck option is needed. Can't see Clarke rucking too much but perhaps the designated 2nd ruck, Walker ideally not but I don't mind seeing Vardy or Blicavs play second ruck.

Midfield:
Wings/outside mids: Stokes, Motlop
Inside mids: Caddy, Selwood, S.J
Rotation: Guthrie, Horlin-Smith, Christenson, Duncan, Kelly, Bartel, Varcoe, T-Hunt, Sherringham Stringer, Hartman
Next season: Lang, Jansen, Cockatoo, Gore, Blease, Cohan, Gregson

That's a lot of turnover but I'm not too worried about the fringes. 26 games between them were played by Sherringham, Stringer, T-Hunt and Christensen. We could easily cover that with Blease, Cohan, Gregson and I'm hopeful Gore can provide a bit more in the centre long term than these guys provided. Varcoe last season played 23 games so short term we'd be looking at Thurlow to play his defensive minutes with Cockatoo helping out before being a long term replacement that's hopefully a bit better in contested situations.

Looking long term. S.J, Bartel, Kelly and Stokes are a major concern. All the wrong side of 30 and all key players still in the side. Bartel and Kelly are less involved in the midfield these days so that's been covered by GHS, Guthrie and Duncan but it's still 20+ games a season players we need to replace and we'll need four unknowns to emerge in the next two seasons to play regularly.

Really we are banking on those four coming from Jansen, Hartman, Lang, Gore, Gregson and Cohen and next years draftees. Big ask IMO.

HF: Caddy Bartel Duncan
FF: Murdoch Hawkins Motlop
Cover: Kersten, Walker, Brown Burbury, McCarthy, Smedts
Next season: Clarke, Vardy, Lang, Gregson, Luxford, Menzel, Bates

The six selected as forwards we're most of our biggest contributors in front of goal. Stokes has moved into a permanent midfielder with Duncan and Motlop now contributing far more in front of goal as HFF/Mids. Stokes decline from 38 goals in 2008 to 7 goals this season along with Podsaidly who was kicking 30+ goals a season IMO really hurt us. Bartel at CHF wasn't a solution, none of Brown, Kersten or Walker really stepped up so I can totally understand bringing in Clarke. He looks a big step up and hopefully can match what Pods was offering.

I think we are good for key forward and reasonable in terms of small forwards. If we could find away to move Stokes back into the forwardline I think that would be helpful but in 2014 he was an important midfielder that is going to be hard to replace.

Looking at the list it's pretty tight. Maybe in terms of balance Bates, Cunico, Cowan, Smedts or Blease could be replaced with a KPD but Smedts is the only one of these that was an early pick. I think we've got our list as balanced as we could make it under the circumstances.

Last edited:
My take:

Long term Thurlow and Kolodjashnij are the natural replacement for Enright and Rivers, I think Cockatoo improves on Varcoe as a Wojak type line breaker immediately as well. Bews could play instead of Kelly that comes with the caveat of having to find midfield minutes from someone else, Cockatoo the obvious candidate. We all agree Lonergan is a thorn in our side long term. Blicavs is worth an experiment, Walker maybe or even Stanley (I'm dubious). Toohey a long shot. We've got options but I agree with most, we'll likely have to go to the trade table next October if Lonergan retires. We haven't really got a replacement for Mackie.

Rucks:

We didn't have Vardy at all last season but he's more a forward/2nd ruck IMO and with McIntosh and Simpson permi-crocked it has us in a difficult situation. Stanley and Clarke are 200cm so in theory they could play as ruckmen and I'm hoping Stanley surprises with a propensity for ruck work I've not seen. Otherwise it's grim. I think next trade period we should chase Bellchambers or Luenberger who are potential free agents but that makes the Stanley trade a bit of a head scratcher. Still I can't see McIntosh or Simpsons playing on much longer given injury histories so perhaps more than one fresh ruck option is needed. Can't see Clarke rucking too much but perhaps the designated 2nd ruck, Walker ideally not but I don't mind seeing Vardy or Blicavs play second ruck.

Midfield:
Rotation: Guthrie, Horlin-Smith, Christenson, Duncan, Kelly, Bartel, Varcoe, T-Hunt, Sherringham Stringer, Hartman

That's a lot of turnover but I'm not too worried about the fringes. 26 games between them were played by Sherringham, Stringer, T-Hunt and Christensen. We could easily cover that with Blease, Cohan, Gregson and I'm hopeful Gore can provide a bit more in the centre long term than these guys provided. Varcoe last season played 23 games so short term we'd be looking at Thurlow to play his defensive minutes with Cockatoo helping out before being a long term replacement that's hopefully a bit better in contested situations.

Looking long term. S.J, Bartel, Kelly and Stokes are a major concern. All the wrong side of 30 and all key players still in the side. Bartel and Kelly are less involved in the midfield these days so that's been covered by GHS, Guthrie and Duncan but it's still 20+ games a season players we need to replace and we'll need four unknowns to emerge in the next two seasons to play regularly.

Really we are banking on those four coming from Jansen, Hartman, Lang, Gore, Gregson and Cohen and next years draftees. Big us IMO.

The six selected as forwards we're most of our biggest contributors in front of goal. Stokes has moved into a permanent midfielder with Duncan and Motlop now contributing a far more in front of goal as HFF/Mids. Stokes decline from 38 goals in 2008 to 7 goals this season along with Podsaidly who was kicking 30+ goals a season IMO really hurt us. Bartel at CHF wasn't a solution, none of Brown, Kersten or Walker really stepped up so I can totally understand bringing in Clarke. He looks a big step up and hopefully can match what Pods was offering.

I think we are good for key forward and reasonable in terms of small forwards. If we could find away to move Stokes back into the forwardline I think that would be helpful but in 2014 he was an important midfielder that is going to be hard to replace.

Looking at the list it's pretty tight. Maybe in terms of balance Bates, Cunico, Cowan, Smedts or Blease could be replaced with a KPD but Smedts is the only one of these that was an early pick. I think we've got our list as balanced as we could make it under the circumstances.

Great post.

I'd argue that the replacing of Enright, Kelly and perhaps even Mackie should start next year. Subject to form, these 3 guys still get games of course, but we should be seeing much more of Bews and Thurlow. We missed an opportunity this year to get games into both I thought. I'd like to see Guthrie thrown back too. If you include Guthrie, then we have direct replacements for each from last seasons team.

JK for Rivers looks right too. Lonergan is the one we are still to work out but have a few options. None of them compelling though.

If we can gain Dangerfield via FA that changes everything with regard to our midfield. All of a sudden it's a strength again for a while.

Forward line is still a concern but not really through lack of numbers as you have shown. We just need the right mix and a much better attacking strategy.

We do still need to target a no.1 ruck. McIntosh has one year left. I have lost faith in Simpson's ability to play a full year now. The rest are 2nd rucks at best.

Still many things to work on but not too bad for a team that won 3 flags not that long ago and has lost a stack of great players. Compares favourably with where Brisbane were at the same stage. Hawthorn are defying the ageing process for now but that will change when Burgoyne, Mitchell and Hodge all retire within a short period of each other.

Great post.

I'd argue that the replacing of Enright, Kelly and perhaps even Mackie should start next year. Subject to form, these 3 guys still get games of course, but we should be seeing much more of Bews and Thurlow. We missed an opportunity this year to get games into both I thought. I'd like to see Guthrie thrown back too. If you include Guthrie, then we have direct replacements for each from last seasons team.

JK for Rivers looks right too. Lonergan is the one we are still to work out but have a few options. None of them compelling though.

If we can gain Dangerfield via FA that changes everything with regard to our midfield. All of a sudden it's a strength again for a while.

Forward line is still a concern but not really through lack of numbers as you have shown. We just need the right mix and a much better attacking strategy.

We do still need to target a no.1 ruck. McIntosh has one year left. I have lost faith in Simpson's ability to play a full year now. The rest are 2nd rucks at best.

Still many things to work on but not too bad for a team that won 3 flags not that long ago and has lost a stack of great players. Compares favourably with where Brisbane were at the same stage. Hawthorn are defying the ageing process for now but that will change when Burgoyne, Mitchell and Hodge all retire within a short period of each other.

I agree Dangerfield would be a game changer for us. I think we'd instantly be contenders with him.

My take:

Rucks:

Midfield:

Really we are banking on those four coming from Jansen, Hartman, Lang, Gore, Gregson and Cohen and next years draftees. Big us IMO.

The six selected as forwards we're most of our biggest contributors in front of goal. Stokes has moved into a permanent midfielder with Duncan and Motlop now contributing a far more in front of goal as HFF/Mids. Stokes decline from 38 goals in 2008 to 7 goals this season along with Podsaidly who was kicking 30+ goals a season IMO really hurt us. Bartel at CHF wasn't a solution, none of Brown, Kersten or Walker really stepped up so I can totally understand bringing in Clarke. He looks a big step up and hopefully can match what Pods was offering.

Is there are Post of the Year Category because if so I am totally voting for this :)

Agree with basically everything you said! If at least 2 of Lang, Jansen, Hartman, Cowan & Cockatoo could make an impact next season that would be great, hopefully even more!

Rucks really are a problem, if McIntosh' body is right I'm sure they'll play him in the AFL which could be okay or could not. I'd like to see how Stanley goes as a Number 1 Ruck but of course it's not ideal.

Is there are Post of the Year Category because if so I am totally voting for this :)

Agree with basically everything you said! If at least 2 of Lang, Jansen, Hartman, Cowan & Cockatoo could make an impact next season that would be great, hopefully even more!

Rucks really are a problem, if McIntosh' body is right I'm sure they'll play him in the AFL which could be okay or could not. I'd like to see how Stanley goes as a Number 1 Ruck but of course it's not ideal.

Cheers guys. I think we all have pretty similar opinions, it's marginal stuff we differ on and how we express our opinions that differ. Was a KPD more important than a mid etc is really arbitrary IMO because we need both and both as far as I am concerned are urgent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers guys. I think we all have pretty similar opinions, it's marginal stuff we differ on and how we express our opinions that differ. Was a KPD more important than a mid etc is really arbitrary IMO because we need both and both as far as I am concerned are urgent.

Btw who is "Cohan"?

Edit: never mind Cowan

Cohan the Barbarian is a character from Terry Pratchett's Discworld.

What confused me (which is fairly easily done at the best of times) was that we had Cohan mentioned a couple of times - I thought, "nah Dan wouldn't make the same mistake twice, we've picked someone up I didn't hear about" so after checking the GFC website to no avail I even googled "Geelong Football Club Cohan" - still no result!! Wasted a good five minutes of my life working that one out!

Discworld worth a look? Not really a fantasy kind of guy though..

What confused me (which is fairly easily done at the best of times) was that we had Cohan mentioned a couple of times - I thought, "nah Dan wouldn't make the same mistake twice, we've picked someone up I didn't hear about" so after checking the GFC website to no avail I even googled "Geelong Football Club Cohan" - still no result!! Wasted a good five minutes of my life working that one out!

Discworld worth a look? Not really a fantasy kind of guy though..

I've recently read through the whole series, they are very very funny. Not really fantasy as such, he just uses the fantasy tropes as a setting for his rollicking humorous adventure stories and along the way to have a crack at ancient civilizations, other writers, other books, religious extemists, modern technology, you name it. If you liked Douglas Adams, you'll like Pratchett.

Btw who is "Cohan"?

Edit: never mind Cowan
I was about to ask that as well. Figured it was Leonard at first and I thought "Hallelujah!" but realised it couldn't be.
I'm a bit slow today- someone wrote Lang down as Darcy and I'm "Darcy? Darcy?" *goes and checks Player List- smacks forehead ...
Darcy Lang!!!

My take:

Rucks:

Midfield:

Really we are banking on those four coming from Jansen, Hartman, Lang, Gore, Gregson and Cohen and next years draftees. Big ask IMO.

The six selected as forwards we're most of our biggest contributors in front of goal. Stokes has moved into a permanent midfielder with Duncan and Motlop now contributing far more in front of goal as HFF/Mids. Stokes decline from 38 goals in 2008 to 7 goals this season along with Podsaidly who was kicking 30+ goals a season IMO really hurt us. Bartel at CHF wasn't a solution, none of Brown, Kersten or Walker really stepped up so I can totally understand bringing in Clarke. He looks a big step up and hopefully can match what Pods was offering.

Dan, I agree with others above in their praise of your efforts in this post.
When I've got 40 player names, often with multiple positions attached to each name, I struggle to make heads or tails of where we're heading, in terms of delistings, drafts and trades.
The way you've set it out and listed both players and replacements, everything is starting to fall into place in my head and makes a lot more sense. So thanks for going to the trouble of organising your post this way. :)

Wells didn't plan on all mids, he had a list of 3-4 players in each pick. Some talls, some medium, some small. It was just the way the other clubs picked that dictated his selections.

Our defense will hold up for 2-3 years. Hawks went into the 2012 GF with Schoclankers as it's only KPD and Sydney has 1 decent KPD in Richards who is 31. Hawks have plugged that gap in 3 years. We can do the same. (recognize it may not be an AA gun though)

Our midfield will hold up because of Selwood, after that it's not much chop until the kids get enough game time. Even then it's very light as well, after Captain and SJ it drops off a cliff. Personally, we're driving Selwood to an early finish if he keeps shouldering the load.

Cockatoo gives us something that we haven't had since GAJ, and that is explosive pace out of a pack. He probably would have been top 5 if he wasn't injured.

No to sound like a kill joy - but just about every player drafted - has been labelled a gun - a steal at that pick etc- by a media pundit some where in Australia

A couple of examples

Pick 11 - the pick after Geelongs no 10 - i read the rap Doug Hawkins gave him - he coached him at Bachus Marsh- declared him at 14 - told his father then he would play league football - has not got a weakness - will delight the WCE supporters with his play - and likened him in style to Robert Flower - thats some rap

Pick 60 - went to Carlton - The Western Australian National Junior coach - said hes the most talented kid in WA - yet he goes at pick 60

I think the Crows have taken the biggest risk ( back in the draft - after Tippetgate) - their 1st 2 picks 14 and 35 - the ones they exchanged with Geelong - one guys coming off an ACL reconstruction ( you immediately think of Menzels woes ) and their 2nd pick - coming off a stress fracture of the foot - god there pretty serious injuries - they have taken a hell of a risk

We need talls that can play as KPDs. We don't need talls that can play as second ruck/forward, which we now have a plethora of.
our need for midfield depth was more dire than our need for KPD's. Bringing in 1 mid per year doesn't achieve that. Hitting the draft hard and picking midfield type players with every pick does achieve that.

Overall happy with our draft this year.

Wells didn't plan on all mids, he had a list of 3-4 players in each pick. Some talls, some medium, some small. It was just the way the other clubs picked that dictated his selections.

Our defense will hold up for 2-3 years. Hawks went into the 2012 GF with Schoclankers as it's only KPD and Sydney has 1 decent KPD in Richards who is 31. Hawks have plugged that gap in 3 years. We can do the same. (recognize it may not be an AA gun though)

Our midfield will hold up because of Selwood, after that it's not much chop until the kids get enough game time. Even then it's very light as well, after Captain and SJ it drops off a cliff. Personally, we're driving Selwood to an early finish if he keeps shouldering the load.

Cockatoo gives us something that we haven't had since GAJ, and that is explosive pace out of a pack. He probably would have been top 5 if he wasn't injured.

I don't think he planned on taking all mids but he kind of orchestrated it by trading down to 10 rather than keeping 14. After the first pick though I think it just fell that way.

I don't think he planned on taking all mids but he kind of orchestrated it by trading down to 10 rather than keeping 14. After the first pick though I think it just fell that way.

Yeah pretty much.

Cocky was his first choice, and we had to stop West Coast getting him. So trading to 10 is justified.

Had it been just a KPD we where after, then yeah it makes no sense. But to beat WCE to the punch then it was hopefully worth it.

Makes me think of when we missed Troy Menzel a couple years back, so I guess Wells didn't want it to happen again.

Jansen, Lang, Hartman and possibly Cowan (if fit) will add depth this season.
What was a more problematic area for us this year...

Midfield, in particular: depth and clearances.... or

the performance of our KPD's?

While I acknowledge that planning for life after Harry, Domsy and Rivers is prudent list management, at the end of the day I can see all of them playing in 2016, so this isn't our last chance saloon to recruit KPD. We also have Kolo and Toohey who hopefully can develop further this year upcoming. Can see Kolo debuting in 2015

I'd be bemused if we didn't recruit either through trade/FA or by draft, KPD's next year.

I think this off season we've attempted to plug holes in the list... (but not all of them at once)

A foil for Hawkins given that Vardy was injured and Brown didn't come on as a forward (now delisted), while Walker still remains a periphery player up forward... Check... Mitch Clark in.

Counteract the loss of speed in Bundy and Varcoe... Check.. Blease and Cockatoo

Midfield depth... well it's too early to call that definitively yet, but picking 4 midfield type players suggests that is the area they've attempted to address this season.

Back