Geelong attempted to avoid salary cap with Tim Kelly

DanA

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2006
Richmond
AFL Club
Geelong
Did I say you? Your fans.

Clearly they did lie. They told him they would help him and then they said to him they can help him only if afl compensates him.

Yes you shouldn’t have recruited an indigenous player with a kid AND twins on the way.

Why so bitter and upset on Tim's behalf when he himself isn't?

His family gave it a shot, Tim thrived but it wasn't right for the family so they moved back to Perth. Two years in he's become one of the competitions best players and he's now one of the highest-paid. That's the AFL system and it's set him and his family up for life.

There is no blueprint for how to handle a family situation like Kelly's so i'm sure Geelong made some mistakes along the way. All they can do is try their best and afterward learn from the situation to make it better the next time.

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
“This club has been great; this is a great club; I love the club. I’m forever grateful for the footy club for giving me the opportunity.

“Someone who is starved of an opportunity, overlooked for so many years, finally get my opportunity, it is something myself and my family will forever be grateful for.

“Personally, I feel like I’m in the best place possible. I love it here [Geelong]. It is going to be a tough decision and there is plenty of time for that once the season is done. For now it is just focusing on this week.”

“Ultimately it is going to come down to what’s put forward and what it means for me and my family. It is a bit hard not to look at it like that (footy vs family),” he said.

“The reality is I’ve come into the game at 23. I’m not going to have the luxury of these 15, 16, 18-year careers that some of my great teammates are having or going to have.

"It's always been a childhood dream to wear the blue and gold."

He tried leaving twice. Even after you offered him a lot more money! What else was he going to say after you lot abused his wife for a year and half? Say something to make that worse? Escalate the situation? Carry on about wife of his children still continues - you think he will forget that?

Don’t be like Carlton fans who to this day think Josh Kennedy wished he didn’t have to leave.

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Why so bitter and upset on Tim's behalf when he himself isn't?

His family gave it a shot, Tim thrived but it wasn't right for the family so they moved back to Perth. Two years in he's become one of the competitions best players and he's now one of the highest-paid. That's the AFL system and it's set him and his family up for life.

There is no blueprint for how to handle a family situation like Kelly's so i'm sure Geelong made some mistakes along the way. All they can do is try their best and afterward learn from the situation to make it better the next time.

Bored and offseason and I saw shite about his wife still carrying on. That tipped me over.

How very balanced view of you. Pity most people don’t think like that.

DanA

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2006
Richmond
AFL Club
Geelong
Bored and offseason and I saw shite about his wife still carrying on. That tipped me over.

How very balanced view of you. Pity most people don’t think like that.

It'll die down after a week or two but it shouldn't be like it is I agree. There are some really s**t people in this world who think it's funny to harras a mother wanting support with three kids with needs.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes you shouldn’t have recruited an indigenous player with a kid AND twins on the way.
Absolutely we should have. We got two years of elite performance out of him on rookie wage for pick 24, and then turned that into 2x 1st round & 2x 2nd round picks across the next two drafts. Of course from a WCE point of view we shouldn't have, because then you'd likely be back to back premiers and be involved in the next two drafts. Oh well. 🙃

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Absolutely we should have. We got two years of elite performance out of him on rookie wage for pick 24, and then turned that into 2x 1st round & 2x 2nd round picks across the next two drafts. Of course from a WCE point of view we shouldn't have, because then you'd likely be back to back premiers and be involved in the next two drafts. Oh well. 🙃

mmm tender and salty

Did I say you? Your fans.

Clearly they did lie. They told him they would help him and then they said to him they can help him only if afl compensates them.

Again, you're full of s**t. One nuffy fan sent her a message. It was like the club directed the fans to do this.

In Tim's pre-draft interviews and also his Geelong interview he had made it clear he was happy to play anywhere. He grew up supporting Carlton after Judd left the Eagles and the Blues were his first preference.

At the time of his drafting he did not know his first son was autistic. Geelong would have advised Tim as a mature ager coming through the ND he would be afforded the same luxuries that any other play would have been given. After Tim was drafted, his first son was diagnosed with Autism, his twins were born and one of them was also diagnosed with Autism so Tim needed to go home. It's pretty simple.

Geelong tried to get further assistance for Tim and his family as by the letter of the law in the AFL, they weren't allowed to exceed their cap.

All this 'they lied to him' is just made up bullshit and it makes you look like an idiot still trying to shill the same lies. Grow up.

Last edited:

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Again, you're full of s**t. One nuffy fan sent her a message. It was like the club directed the fans to do this.

In Tim's pre-draft interviews and also his Geelong interview he had made it clear he was happy to play anywhere. He grew up supporting Carlton after Judd left the Eagles and the Blues were his first preference.

At the time of his drafting he did not know his first son was autistic. Geelong would have advised Tim as a mature ager coming through the ND he would be afforded the same luxuries that any other play would have been given. After Tim was drafted, his first son was diagnosed with Autism, his twins were born and one of them was also diagnosed with Autism so Tim needed to go home. It's pretty simple.

Geelong tried to get further assistance for Tim and his family as by the letter of the law in the AFL, they weren't allowed to exceed their cap.

All this 'they lied to him' is just made up bullshit and it makes you look like an idiot still trying to shill the same lies. Grow up.

One fan? Hahaha

Well they were allowed to exceed the soft cap. Could have done that.

Did he make it clear he is willing to go anywhere before or after geelong’s fake promise of aiding his family?

One fan? Hahaha

Well they were allowed to exceed the soft cap. Could have done that.

Did he make it clear he is willing to go anywhere before or after geelong’s fake promise of aiding his family?
Jesus wept. You're an imbecile. I'm done here

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
This seems to be a summary of some of the WC complaints here:

‘You drafted a guy we and everyone else ignored.’
‘You gave him a shot he and his family thought he had probably missed.’
‘You wanted to retain an elite player.’
‘You offered to try and give his family extra assistance.’
‘You sought approval from the game’s governing body to do something to offer assistance.’
‘You accepted their refusal.’
‘Like every club some idiots go for your team and carried on.’
‘That player now plays for us.’

Boy it’s been a bigger saga than the Crusades hasn’t it.

If the West Coast fraternity and the Kelly family come out of this alive it will be a miracle.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
So if Amazon asked to pay no tax and were denied, and then paid tax, that would be cheating the system.

Great to know.

they pay off the pollies and that - get gov. benefits/handouts, their employees are on the yankie version of center-link, and they pay essentially

amazon was a random example btw

Geelong are trying to cheat in a similar manner.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
Have you tried living on 700k a year? When my wife went on maternity leave for two years we had to scale back to one wage which was just under 700k. Basically had to live like peasants.

struggled with your grocery shopping

i acknowledge amazon was not a great example but i still classify it as cheating the system

1571726529518.png

Exactly how is asking the rule makers of the game the question cheating? If what Geelong did is seen as cheating then we are all cheats in life.

tax havens might be a better one to go with

technically not cheating but your still a prick
Where’s the analogy? Firstly a tax haven is legal. Secondly a tax haven is designed to minimise your tax burden. Geelong didn’t do anything other than ask a question

azyboy

Club Legend
Aug 31, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
"Carry on about wife of his children still continues - you think he will forget that?
Yep. I think whatever minority carrying on about his wife will pale into significance compared with the gratitude he would have to Geelong for giving him an opportunity. Sentiments he’s already shared. Christ, sentiments his partner has already shared.

Personally I wish him well. He’s handled himself with class and I bare him no grudges. Valid reasons to go home. And we were compensated as well as we could’ve been in return. A sentiment he also publicly acknowledged as wanting to see happen. All the best TK.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Without reading the rule book it probably has something along the lines of ‘at the league’s discretion’ when it comes to this.
So, I don’t have an issue with the cats asking, it’s a competition, you always seek to gain an advantage that’s above board and as weird as this could’ve been, it also would’ve technically been above board.
I also don’t have an issue with the AFL refusing as the cats will be just fine, players aren’t walking out the door down there.

Back