Geelong - back to back?

Remove this Banner Ad

813e4pusboL.jpg

If Danger and Hawkins go around again...

Every chance.

Scott will have them hungry... that doesn't concern me. He's a gun coach.

It's possible as they have some very good young players along with a lot of big bodied, experienced ones. In Chris Scotts playing days back in the 90s and early zeroes we all thought players reached their peak at age 25-27, that may have been extended to 28-30? Now they are all 100% professional footballers on super money, the best facilities, manicured playing surfaces, well drilled and trained with dieticians, pyschologists and waited on hand and foot. I think players today can easily make it to 32 or 33 if they don't sustain a major injury. Smith is 33, Danger is 32 and they were the two best on ground. Selwood had 26 possessions! I get the feeling we will see players making it to 32-34 before the thought of hanging up the boots enters their head. Jack Riewoldt is 34 in October and will go next year, Trent Cotchin is 33 next April. Dustin Martin is 32 next June, i still think the Tigers will be very good in 2023. Turning 30 playing in the AFL is no longer a barrier and a career killer! Geelong will be compeititve again and i am well aware this gives opposition footy fans "the Tom ****".

It's possible as they have some very good young players along with a lot of big bodied, experienced ones. In Chris Scotts playing days back in the 90s and early zeroes we all thought players reached their peak at age 25-27, that may have been extended to 28-30? Now they are all 100% professional footballers on super money, the best facilities, manicured playing surfaces, well drilled and trained with dieticians, pyschologists and waited on hand and foot. I think players today can easily make it to 32 or 33 if they don't sustain a major injury. Smith is 33, Danger is 32 and they were the two best on ground. Selwood had 26 possessions! I get the feeling we will see players making it to 32-34 before the thought of hanging up the boots enters their head. Jack Riewoldt is 34 in October and will go next year, Trent Cotchin is 33 next April. Dustin Martin is 32 next June, i still think the Tigers will be very good in 2023. Turning 30 playing in the AFL is no longer a barrier and a career killer! Geelong will be compeititve again and i am well aware this gives opposition footy fans "the Tom ****".
Isaac looked as good as ever yesterday. Some of those goal celebrations reminded me of his debut year!

If they are still hungry then they have to be a chance.

Personally i would never tip any team to go back to back.

Only 12 months ago people were talking Melbourne dynasty.

Melbourne will have learnt a lot from this season. Two or even three flags is still on the cards for them.

The emotion of the win had a sense of an ending to it all

Mentally may be hard for a few to back up and agree we had a charmed run with player availability which was also good management as well.

This team reminds me a little of Carltons 95 flag. An ageing team that experienced frustrations years prior. Entered GF on a 15 game winning streak and was up against a seemingly capable opponent. Both teams then turned it on torching their opposition. In case of 1995 I recall it not fondly.

From memory the following year Carlton starter very well but fell away second half of season and were out of flag contention
Pretty much re Carlton 96, we were 10-2, but were a bit like Melbourne this year, just doing enough to win games, kind of by muscle memory.

Eventually we couldn't keep that going, and slipped to 5th, and belted in 2 interstate finals by WC and Brisbane.

Always a huge ask to back it up. I just can’t see everything going perfectly again. Especially with ageing list. here’s hoping!

I predict Melbourne will evolve and back up there in contention

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could be wrong and hope I am but this flag feels like a stamp on the end of an era. With the stories of selwood, danger etc.. feels a lot like hawks 1991.

Agreed.

Maybe it's partly wishful thinking on my part but feel like this flag was a culmination of a decade of efforts and disappointment that fueled the group and that is something that I'm not sure the older bodies can sustain again.

Agreed.

Maybe it's partly wishful thinking on my part but feel like this flag was a culmination of a decade of efforts and disappointment that fueled the group and that is something that I'm not sure the older bodies can sustain again.
Probably, but I think one thing about the club, is they’ll do what they can to give the team every chance to have a crack.

we're the only team who can go b2b next year but don't see it happening. Think we'll have a few surprising retirements, and we'll regroup for a flag in 2-3 years time.

It’ll be interesting to see. There’s an outside chance that it’s the same top 25 players. Selwood and Isaac Smith the most likely losses and apparently Ollie Henry and Tanner Bruhn have selected Geelong as preferred destinations. It won’t be a bad team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back