Review Geelong beats Weagles by 47 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Esava really needs to concentrate on a more attacking, flatter kick. His loopy kicks are a nightmare for our players up the field, and easily defended.

Obviously would have liked us to really go on and put a Pac-Man score on them but as much as there are a lot of comments saying we let them back into it, we dropped off etc, I actually got the impression that the only reason the Eagles were able to hit back was because we kept attacking. How many times during their run of 7-8 goals out of 10 did they take possession and we had 1 or 0 players behind the centre square? We were pushing up and trying to attack and score goals.

In a game that we already have total control of I don’t mind that - another week if our decision making is a bit better with the ball we pile on another 6-7 goals.

I would like to think that if we got a roll-on against a stronger opponent and they stemmed the bleeding with a couple of quick goals, we would go into a more defensive mode and start again.

Hawkins played with much more confidence and looked closer to his physical peak, Cameron was quiet outside of one burst but still worked hard. Miers is the most improved player in the side IMO. He is really willing himself to contests and winning his own ball.

Ratugolea’s marking has improved out of sight and so has his reading of the play but his lack of physical presence in any situation other than a marking contest pisses me off. When the ball is on the ground he occasionally squibs it and he should be the guy setting the standard for running hard at the ball and anyone in his way.
I wonder if he's acutely aware of the damage his huge athletic body can incur on that unsuspecting player; suspension would not be great.

Can't question his commitment...it's his decision making and execution i have a problem with.

I agree...parfitts effort defensively was great but his skill by foot has regressed and those turnovers put our defence under pressure..hopefully after some consistent games in the 2s he will come back having improved it somewhat.

Parf-out

I love the kid but we dont owe it to him to play him into form in the seniors. If you're not meeting the standard you go back to 2s.

Stanley possibly gone is a hard one to deal with. Ceglar in its not the change I want to see in the world.

Agree on parfitt.

Stanley is a big loss (and theres no other option except cegs) but id rather play cegs at home on the narrow ground-opposition wont be able to expose his old legs in transition as easily as on bigger wider grounds.

Bews was borderline ready for some VFL time.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He may well see some vfl time if bowes stays in the team.

Typical oppo fans wanting Danger to be looked at for eye gouging 😂, like seriously, have any of them played footy? He was going the ball and his thumb accidentally gets young gingby in the eye.

The coalface is pretty lukewarm for us these days and these large clearance famines are quite bad.

With Selwood gone, there's a pretty obvious hole in the midfield and I don't think anybody on the team can cover it.

I'm thinking we'll probably drop a few games this year against stellar midfields. It's a shame we couldn't have traded in a real a-grader to keep things ticking in there. If only we'd been able to keep a fit and healthy Tim Kelly...
It was still 51 clearances to 31 our way and that clearly would've been a bigger discrepancy if they weren't in self preservation mode for the second half.

Seemed obvious to me about 5 minutes after the 78 point lead was reached as far as what was going to happen. I mentally checked out a bit after that, interesting to see a lot of emotionally charged stuff in this thread. Sydney remains the early season litmus test and it'll tell us a lot.

The first half gave me hope that we can get back to our 2022 form sometime this year, but our second half was rubbish.

West Coast are a crap team and have so many of their best 22 missing at the moment. The way they moved the hall with ease and scored heavily in the second half is worrying. Also worrying was our terrible inside 50 entries. Dish that up against a top 12 team and we’ll struggle to win.
24 marks inside 50 for Geelong.

Look that’s fair and understandable but when a ball is bouncing around you just have to commit to it and he avoids that a noticeable amount
I see it as hesitation/clumsiness rather than him being afraid of contact though. He's not blessed with the best anticipation for a balls unpredictable movement on the deck.

Hes clearly depth not best 22 unless he improves his disposal a lot. Which is not where i thought he would be 2 years ago.
I Agree Parf isn't presently in our best 22, but do think the criticism of him is overblown. He needs a run of games at the level to find the tempo. Whether that's conceivable at present I'm unsure. Twos footy is well below ones both in intensity and quality.

Thought today he was trying too hard. As was shown in a couple of overzealous tackles. Give him time, he'll be alright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I Agree Parf isn't presently in our best 22, but do think the criticism of him is overblown. He needs a run of games at the level to find the tempo. Whether that's conceivable at present I'm unsure. Twos footy is well below ones both in intensity and quality.

Thought today he was trying too hard. As was shown in a couple of overzealous tackles. Give him time, he'll be alright.
I’ve been a fan for a while and in the past have valued his side step and evasion skills. Kicking has never been his one wood .
What really worries me is the game has changed now - it’s very , very quick and whilst you can be evasive you have to move it on quickly - Parf is very slow to dispose of it and as a result his options are being closed down and he destroys momentum.
He needs a reset on offence , his defence is very good though.

Esava really needs to concentrate on a more attacking, flatter kick. His loopy kicks are a nightmare for our players up the field, and easily defended.
Not sure how you get to AFL level with the complete inability to hit a stab pass but his kicking skills are genuinely horrific, needs to be addressed if he's going to stay in defence.

Looks like a player making mistakes because he's frightened of making a mistake,no flow or freedom in his game.
Has the ability and skill to do the right thing, but is so focused on it everytime that he's thinking more about it instead of doing it.

Will need to stop thinking and start doing really soon.

GO Catters

I’ve been a fan for a while and in the past have valued his side step and evasion skills. Kicking has never been his one wood .
What really worries me is the game has changed now - it’s very , very quick and whilst you can be evasive you have to move it on quickly - Parf is very slow to dispose of it and as a result his options are being closed down and he destroys momentum.
He needs a reset on offence , his defence is very good though.
The game has not changed since last year. He is just horribly out of form. Possibly didnt have a good pre season.

Typical oppo fans wanting Danger to be looked at for eye gouging 😂, like seriously, have any of them played footy? He was going the ball and his thumb accidentally gets young gingby in the eye.

I don't know anything about Eagles fans, but I read their forum just now and they are super salty lmao. Like, the Swannies supporters took losing the GF in much better spirits. The Eagles fans are carrying on how happy they are that didn't have to play us in Geelong and that only lost to us by forty something points and yet they're still so aggressively pressed?

To be fair, if that's all I had to be happy about I'd be complaining about accidental eye contact too.

Agree on parfitt.

Stanley is a big loss (and theres no other option except cegs) but id rather play cegs at home on the narrow ground-opposition wont be able to expose his old legs in transition as easily as on bigger wider grounds.
Cegs is cooked.

Unfortunately our next in ruck right now is ... Mitch Knevitt

Has the ability and skill to do the right thing, but is so focused on it everytime that he's thinking more about it instead of doing it.

Will need to stop thinking and start doing really soon.

GO Catters
The “chip” pass to Hawkins was a classic example. Fortunately Hawkins wasn’t impeded in his second grab, but talk about making it difficult

He may well see some vfl time if bowes stays in the team.
Agree. Each year a team, to get better, needs 2-3 “younger/new” players to effectively replace someone in the rotation…

For 2023 I think we could have the three new recruits all be in the best 22 at the end of the year… (noting that Holmes is an in for Selwood from GF)

Bowes for Bews
O Henry for Rohan (I think by the end of the year they won’t be playing both in the 22. Rohan might end up being super sub in his last year)
Bruhn for Parf

Beyond that we might have Sav stay in 22 (in particular if Henry doesn’t get back) and possibly a Dempsey/Simpson push - but I suspect only if injuries

Cegs is cooked.

Unfortunately our next in ruck right now is ... Mitch Knevitt
Cegs will be ok to give us a chop out say every few weeks (if needed). But that is it…if Stanley went down for extended periods we turn into Collingwood and have to move Blitz or Sav from preferred role (Mitch can do “Blitz” at VFL level but no way at AFL at this stage)

Toby not expected back in VFL until round 13…so, other than a token debut toward end of year, I can’t see him as an AFL option for 2023 - but really hopefully he comes from “nowhere” for 2024

Fairly plausible chance Stanley will go because, after last week's bout of frothing indignation about Blicavs daring to get in the way of Meek's knee, everything Geelong's ruckmen do will be subject to extreme hostile scrutiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back