Review Geelong beats Weagles by 47 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides Stanley going back to cover in the backline being incorporated into our game plan... I honestly have no issue with Ceglar playing for Stanley.

Stanley is still a very ordinary ruckman and just about always has been (dito Ceglar).

He is doing his all just to break even with Bailey Williams.

Imagine having a ruckman that you could actually count on giving your mids first use... It's a wild thought for us these days.

Conway might be that guy in 3 years, but unless we get someone that is ready to go next year... Our poor rucks will remain a weakness in the side, and that might be ok and continue to happen because it's very hard to have an advantage in every area of the ground.

I thought the umpiring strongly favoured the Eagles after half-time, which is annoying as we may well need the percentage.

On Parfitt, he made a lot of errors in his half on the ground and IMO doesn't improve the team other than as backup. I doubt he can replace Stengle, though he did kick 4 goals once. Rohan surely returns.

The Swans young mids are going to test us next week, but it was great to see both Danger and Holmes bursting from packs. Guthrie needs to let his hair grow.

Win this and we're in business.

Fair enough, but we won't win as many games this year so a top 8 or top 4 might come down to percentage.

One thing seems obvious: if we win the centre clearances we probably win the game, regardless of the oppo, because of our potent forward line. Centre clearances in modern footy are pure gold, because of the pace of the game.

This is where we're vulnerable; we play big quarters where we dominate form the centre and then at other times the ball is constantly going the wrong way from the bounce. Sadly none of young mids has yet made the leap. Bruhn is most likely at this stage but has yet to play the proverbial breakout game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where's Shannon Neale at? I haven't heard his name recently, but he's not on any of the injury lists.
ankle still - re hurt it it seems 2 weeks ago in VFL

GO Catters

Miers has 0 goals for the year but leads the comp for direct goal assists at 11, three ahead of the chasing pack which includes Hawkins at 8. He's reminding me of late career Matthew Stokes where he played higher up the ground and was involved in everything.
Been a bit stiff to post a couple IIRC

Stanley has a fractured eye-socket requiring surgery and Stengle's fractured wrist/arm also requires surgery. Stanley will be back before Stengle. Maybe the battered Sav will need to help out in the Ruck.

Anyone else find the commentary even more bias against Geelong than Normal.
You can tell Dermet doesn’t like Geelong and I deadest think a 12 year old could do his job.
Just points out the obvious and claims things that obviously didn’t happen.

“Bloke was 200m away, looked him in the eye and knew where he’d rub”

For the first time in my life I nearly watched the game on Mute, the game itself didn’t frustrate me but when your trying to enjoy the game and no calling of actual play is happening it’s frustrating

Besides Stanley going back to cover in the backline being incorporated into our game plan... I honestly have no issue with Ceglar playing for Stanley.

Stanley is still a very ordinary ruckman and just about always has been (dito Ceglar).

He is doing his all just to break even with Bailey Williams.

Imagine having a ruckman that you could actually count on giving your mids first use... It's a wild thought for us these days.

Conway might be that guy in 3 years, but unless we get someone that is ready to go next year... Our poor rucks will remain a weakness in the side, and that might be ok and continue to happen because it's very hard to have an advantage in every area of the ground.
I was of the view that Toby would come on much faster than the normal young ruck. He has AFL level strength and a feel for the game beyond his years. (He showed he was much better than Stanley in the pre season stuff after getting drafted!). All he lacked was an AFL level tank in my view - so was hopeful he would have overtaken Stanley later this year and be a main ruckman in 2024 (which is ambitious for someone so young in that role).

However with his setbacks I am afraid he might be a couple of years behind my hopes - and therefore I am now in your camp that we need a solution for 2024. Tricky as they don’t want a solution that squeezes Toby out long term - but getting a “ceglar type” (ie. old) I am not sure works either.

And I suspect our list management team not in the camp of putting a bunch of cap space into ruck (ie. Darcy not an option)

Stanley has a fractured eye-socket requiring surgery and Stengle's fractured wrist/arm also requires surgery. Stanley will be back before Stengle. Maybe the battered Sav will need to help out in the Ruck.
How did Rhys cop the eye injury? I can't recall.

He was probably due to be managed at some stage this season, so it happens now.

As for Stengle. Great pit as he was hitting form, and I hope he "looks after himself" while injured, if you get my drift. Miers to fill the void and kick a few?

The game has not changed since last year. He is just horribly out of form. Possibly didnt have a good pre season.
I know it's only Round 5 but there are a few teams - Bombers/Saints/Pies/Crows/Port - who are really focusing on ultra quick ball movement.
They are playing on more , using more aggressive handball and running in waves which is a change up from last season.
Maybe they've studied our ball movement from 2022 and decided to elevate that more - as I said early days but I suspect aspects of this will remain.
The game changes every season , sometimes obvious , sometimes subtle.

However with his setbacks I am afraid he might be a couple of years behind my hopes - and therefore I am now in your camp that we need a solution for 2024. Tricky as they don’t want a solution that squeezes Toby out long term - but getting a “ceglar type” (ie. old) I am not sure works either.

And I suspect our list management team not in the camp of putting a bunch of cap space into ruck (ie. Darcy not an option)
Yes a stop gap ready to go type seems to be the best fit... assuming that Conway actually gets fit and makes it (which I think he will).

Moyle isn’t a great fit for mine as he really isn’t much older than Conway, the Suns will want a bit for him and he still isn’t no sure thing (could end up just an average ruck).

At least with Darcy you know he is gonna make a real difference and be the top dog... although I agree that he is unlikely an option given he isn’t a FA to next year.

I’m sure they’ll be someone out there.

Thought TDK was a good fit because he can play ruck and forward.

See what happens.

I’ll be shocked if we don’t get someone that can step in and play ruck though.

Who that is and what the club is thinking... I don’t know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back