Review Geelong beats Weagles by 47 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a spot open on the mid-season draft, don't we? Interesting to see who we get, if anyone. Last year we went with the best player available, which turned out to be Zane Williams, a little HFF type and surplus to requirements. This year we should pick someone to fill a requirement.

For the first time in my life I nearly watched the game on Mute, the game itself didn’t frustrate me but when your trying to enjoy the game and no calling of actual play is happening it’s frustrating
I often watch games on mute to assess the play independently and avoid annoying commentary. It's closer to the experience of being at the ground, minus the crowd noise. It's well worth a try.

Esava really needs to concentrate on a more attacking, flatter kick. His loopy kicks are a nightmare for our players up the field, and easily defended.
I've actually been really impressed with his field kicking this year. We knew about his aerial ability but he's also hitting targets pretty consistently and very rarely turning it over in really dangerous positions. The performance in that first half, when the game was there to be won, I thought was top notch. I can think of maybe one kick that didn't go to a teammate's advantage. Not everyone can be Tom Stewart!

Anyone else find the commentary even more bias against Geelong than Normal.
You can tell Dermet doesn’t like Geelong and I deadest think a 12 year old could do his job.
Just points out the obvious and claims things that obviously didn’t happen.

“Bloke was 200m away, looked him in the eye and knew where he’d rub”

For the first time in my life I nearly watched the game on Mute, the game itself didn’t frustrate me but when your trying to enjoy the game and no calling of actual play is happening it’s frustrating
Brereton is dead set unbearable. Some of the stuff that dribbles from his mouth just defies logic.

There was a passage of play in the third quarter where he lamented the fact that Oscar Allen didn't drop a knee into the back of the Geelong defender who came back with the flight to spoil. Reckons in that situation you really do have to hurt your opponent and take them out.

The broadcasters pay billions for the TV rights yet they continue to serve up a second rate product with commentators who have low footy IQ and a very low command of the English language. The comedic genius of Brereton is that he draws everything out longer than he needs to because he's actually convinced himself he's mildly intelligent. Billions of dollars and the best we get served up is the likes of Dermot, Hodge, Burgoyne, Riciutto, Richo and Jono Brown. Punch drunk battlers who struggle to articulate anything more profound that a "gee whizz" or a "wow did you see that". Actually pretty embarrassing.

Anyone else find the commentary even more bias against Geelong than Normal.
You can tell Dermet doesn’t like Geelong and I deadest think a 12 year old could do his job.
Just points out the obvious and claims things that obviously didn’t happen.

“Bloke was 200m away, looked him in the eye and knew where he’d rub”

At a trivia night a long time ago, I won a book by Dermie. Well it went like this.….‘Jason got on the bus. And he tripped over. It was so funny.’ The whole book- stuff like this. Shocker. Maybe he had a good footy brain as a player?

At a trivia night a long time ago, I won a book by Dermie. Well it went like this.….‘Jason got on the bus. And he tripped over. It was so funny.’ The whole book- stuff like this. Shocker. Maybe he had a good footy brain as a player?
Met him at a GF function a few years ago. Ended up stuck late into the night drinking with him and quizzing him on a few things.

Aside from his blinding arrogance, he was a pretty honest punter. Openly stated his dislike for Geelong - said he preferred the way footy was played in his era - off field culture and lack of professionalism was all that stopped Geelong from winning a flag in the late 80's and 90's - and said Ablett Senior was a wasted talent that only had personal accolades to show once he retired. Annoyed me at the time but he was right.

A couple of us hatched a plan to drag him outside and get to work on him but we thought better of it.

He actually struck me as a pretty sad lonely bloke.

I've actually been really impressed with his field kicking this year. We knew about his aerial ability but he's also hitting targets pretty consistently and very rarely turning it over in really dangerous positions. The performance in that first half, when the game was there to be won, I thought was top notch. I can think of maybe one kick that didn't go to a teammate's advantage. Not everyone can be Tom Stewart!-
60-70% of Stewart's kicks do not travel more than 15-20 metres. Interested how they measure metres gained as well. Anyone know if it is based on forward movement of the ball? If it was based on forward movement then I would be pretty sure Stewart's would drop by half as most of his kicks are either backwards or sideways.

Brereton is annoying enough but Mark Howard was going above and beyond to be unlistenable. He couldn't have done more sucking up to Brereton while keeping clothes on. So pathetic and cringeworthy.

For context, Brereton last played the game in 1995. That's closing in on thirty years ago now. For those who grew up watching footy in the '80s and '90s, imagine Peter Landy or Sandy Roberts not calling the game in front of them and constantly asking what Barassi or Richards would have done (to their credit, not once did they do this). That's how long ago it is to the present game. He's simply irrelevant to modern footy, and he's not alone.

I often watch games on mute to assess the play independently and avoid annoying commentary. It's closer to the experience of being at the ground, minus the crowd noise. It's well worth a try.

I'm sold. Great idea.

Normally Channel 7 have the market cornered on appalling commentary but the Fox guys were determined to give them a run for their money yesterday.

Brereton is annoying enough but Mark Howard was going above and beyond to be unlistenable. He couldn't have done more sucking up to Brereton while keeping clothes on. So pathetic and cringeworthy.

For context, Brereton last played the game in 1995. That's closing in on thirty years ago now. For those who grew up watching footy in the '80s and '90s, imagine Peter Landy or Sandy Roberts not calling the game in front of them and constantly asking what Barassi or Richards would have done (to their credit, not once did they do this). That's how long ago it is to the present game. He's simply irrelevant to modern footy, and he's not alone.
Couldn't imagine Princess Panda calling footy either.Things have change and not all for the good either.

Brereton is dead set unbearable. Some of the stuff that dribbles from his mouth just defies logic.

There was a passage of play in the third quarter where he lamented the fact that Oscar Allen didn't drop a knee into the back of the Geelong defender who came back with the flight to spoil. Reckons in that situation you really do have to hurt your opponent and take them out.

The broadcasters pay billions for the TV rights yet they continue to serve up a second rate product with commentators who have low footy IQ and a very low command of the English language. The comedic genius of Brereton is that he draws everything out longer than he needs to because he's actually convinced himself he's mildly intelligent. Billions of dollars and the best we get served up is the likes of Dermot, Hodge, Burgoyne, Riciutto, Richo and Jono Brown. Punch drunk battlers who struggle to articulate anything more profound that a "gee whizz" or a "wow did you see that". Actually pretty embarrassing.

Ive had the volume right off for years - you then just watch the game

What i would like - and i would turn the volume on again - if they just had ONE CALLER thats it - he calls the game - there is none of this high school laughing rubbish

And that one caller at half time - he can walk down the stairs - grab a microphone - interview who he likes - give us a bench/rooms report - then call the 2nd half of the game

I'm sold. Great idea.

Normally Channel 7 have the market cornered on appalling commentary but the Fox guys were determined to give them a run for their money yesterday.
The option to just hear the whistle and the crowd noise would be the biggest improvement made to footy broadcasting since the scorebug.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

60-70% of Stewart's kicks do not travel more than 15-20 metres. Interested how they measure metres gained as well. Anyone know if it is based on forward movement of the ball? If it was based on forward movement then I would be pretty sure Stewart's would drop by half as most of his kicks are either backwards or sideways.
Can't do much else if the whole team has flooded back and in the most part we have reverted to that game style where you need to improvises while the forwards get back inside forward 50.

Geelong v West Coast​

9 Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
6 Max Holmes (GEEL)
5 Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
4 Esava Ratugolea (GEEL)
3 Mark Blicavs (GEEL)
2 Tom Hawkins (GEEL)
1 Jake Waterman (WCE)

Haha, sounds like Dermie's book makes Douglas J Hawkins' Hawk Namure Manure a piece of classical literature by comparison!!

s-l500.jpg

Midfield depth has never been a strong point of this side, it has gotten even worse with Parfitt and Guthrie's slumps, and boy did it show in the third. Just as Atkins' emergence changed the dynamic last year, I think they have to start looking to new options - be it giving Bowes an extended run on the ball, putting Bruhn at stoppages almost permanently, or something even more radical.
While I don’t disagree, I distinctly remember thinking the exact same thing at this point of last year.

This is the official definition that champion data provides.

Metres Gained: Net metres gained with the ball by a player, by running, kicking or handballing, combining measures towards attacking goal and away from defensive goal.

Met him at a GF function a few years ago. Ended up stuck late into the night drinking with him and quizzing him on a few things.

Aside from his blinding arrogance, he was a pretty honest punter. Openly stated his dislike for Geelong - said he preferred the way footy was played in his era - off field culture and lack of professionalism was all that stopped Geelong from winning a flag in the late 80's and 90's - and said Ablett Senior was a wasted talent that only had personal accolades to show once he retired. Annoyed me at the time but he was right.

A couple of us hatched a plan to drag him outside and get to work on him but we thought better of it.

Yes, although is Ablett senior a wasted talent? His footy wasn’t wasted on me, nor most of the people who saw him. People from even other clubs went to games just to see him. I took my pies supporting nephews to a few games so they’d be in the ‘presence of greatness’ and I knew even then, they’d be able to tell their kids they saw Ablett play! I expect others did too.

We have a spot open on the mid-season draft, don't we? Interesting to see who we get, if anyone. Last year we went with the best player available, which turned out to be Zane Williams, a little HFF type and surplus to requirements. This year we should pick someone to fill a requirement.
I think we should target either a 205cm agile ready-made ruckman or a midfield hard-ball-getter. Speaking of the latter. I walked past Tom Mitchell in Camberwell today. Very well built and (surprisingly) good looking lad.

I've met a few over the years but not him, Dipper being a ripper bloke. I think Dermie is smart no doubt, but full of his and Hawthorn's importance.

I will say that his and Dipper's efforts in the 1989 GF are probably the gutsiest/stupidest games I have ever seen. So kudos to them.

And GAS is still the GOAT for me.

Sure, he's a still a one-eyed Hawk and as smug as you like. But why would you "drag him outside and get to work on him"? I know most things seem like an awesome idea when you're on the beers but I wasn't aware that his 'crimes' necessitated a beating.

Sure, he's a still a one-eyed Hawk and as smug as you like. But why would you "drag him outside and get to work on him"? I know most things seem like an awesome idea when you're on the beers but I wasn't aware that his 'crimes' necessitated a beating.
He would cause some damage.

We have all had those stupid thoughts on the juice, but hopefully we never fulfil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back