Geelong & Brisbane - a very rare miss

It’s incredibly rare that 1st or 2nd on the ladder (or both) don’t play in the Grand Final.

If I’m not mistaken, it hasn’t happened in almost 40 years - in 1980 Geelong and Carlton were top 2, but the GF was contested by Richmond and Collingwood.

If Tigers didn’t have to contend with the injury issues in the first half of the year, I doubt one of those teams would of been top 2. I would question the near miss. One of them should never have been top 2.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
If Tigers didn’t have to contend with the injury issues in the first half of the year, I doubt one of those teams would of been top 2. I would question the near miss. One of them should never have been top 2.

That might explain one. Yet not even one of them made the GF. That’s very rare - hasn’t happened in 40 years.

That might explain one. Yet not even one of them made the GF. That’s very rare - hasn’t happened in 40 years.

Yeah, it is an unusual stat. I guess it brings into question the weighted draw system. Take Melbourne for example. Blinder last season, terrible this season, do they get a softer draw, will it assist them getting back up the ladder next year.
Brisbane had a soft draw. Can they maintain it? I think they really were a 5-8 list. Not a top 4 list yet.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
And if the AFL didn't gift you an epic run in, I doubt you would have finished top 4. But they did, and you did.

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah, it is an unusual stat. I guess it brings into question the weighted draw system. Take Melbourne for example. Blinder last season, terrible this season, do they get a softer draw, will it assist them getting back up the ladder next year.
Brisbane had a soft draw. Can they maintain it? I think they really were a 5-8 list. Not a top 4 list yet.

The draw really does interfere with the natural order of things. You get a soft draw you go up the ladder like Brisbane, punching above your weight, but then you get punished with the draft picks you get, you get a tough draw the next year and down the ladder again you go, just like Melbourne did.

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba

Well they did finish 5th in the end.

And if the AFL didn't gift you an epic run in, I doubt you would have finished top 4. But they did, and you did.

Spare me. We played less games at the MCG than Collingwood this season. Amazes me the simpleton argument you are presenting just because a draw doesn’t specifically read H,A,H,A etc etc. It has to be viewed in totality.
How did our D graders go against your star studded list? Yeah, i saw your pathetic commentary. But well done on touching up our VFL team in R12. I was proven correct on the result once you come up against our AFL team.

The draw really does interfere with the natural order of things. You get a soft draw you go up the ladder like Brisbane, punching above your weight, but then you get punished with the draft picks you get, you get a tough draw the next year and down the ladder again you go, just like Melbourne did.

Yep, correct. And that’s how i’m really answering the OP i guess.

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Incredibly unlucky that we faced the two eventual Grand Finalists.
Having been in a position to win both games, I'm quietly confident that we won't do a 'Melbourne' next season.

Quite hilarious that people still go on about the soft draw when our fixture was judged the 9th hardest at the start of the year, which for a bottom 4 team, is rare.

Having been in a position to win both games, I'm quietly confident that we won't do a 'Melbourne' next season.

Quite hilarious that people still go on about the soft draw when our fixture was judged the 9th hardest at the start of the year, which for a bottom 4 team, is rare.

You weren’t in the contest against us after quarter time. You have a way to go yet. But, your team had a great season non the less.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

This!

Richmond, Collingwood and GWS all had horrific runs with injury this year. These 3 teams at some stages of the season were playing games with numbers of like 10 or 12 of their best 22 out. Geelong and Brisbane on the other had had quite healthy lists all year, along with Brisbane's easy draw. The ladder was very skewed due to this fact... Richmond, Collingwood and GWS are definitely the best 3 teams this year. I'd say West Coast rounds out the top 4 and they probably would have gone further, but the Rioli issue on the eve of their game derailed them against Geelong. Geelong and Brisbane are the 5, 6 next best teams in the comp...

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

You could do a Melbourne if you get hit with injuries. I wasn't keeping track of Brisbane at the beginning of the year, but later down the track, you had one guy that I have never heard of on your injury list. Collingwood and Richmond had about 15 players each on theirs at that point.

So I think the challenge for Brisbane is how they go for depth. It's rare for a team to have such a short injury list and I don't think it happens again next year.

This!

Richmond, Collingwood and GWS all had horrific runs with injury this year. These 3 teams at some stages of the season were playing games with numbers of like 10 or 12 of their best 22 out. Geelong and Brisbane on the other had had quite healthy lists all year, along with Brisbane's easy draw. The ladder was very skewed due to this fact... Richmond, Collingwood and GWS are definitely the best 3 teams this year. I'd say West Coast rounds out the top 4 and they probably would have gone further, but the Rioli issue on the eve of their game derailed them against Geelong. Geelong and Brisbane are the 5, 6 next best teams in the comp...

I think Tiges/Pies/GWS and WCE have the best lists in the league and all were hampered by injury at various stages this season. But, that’s footy as they say. Our pain was Geelong and Brissys gain. I couldn’t understand why people were writing us off heading into that first final. It’s like people don’t watch or understand footy but still get to write about it.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Must admit its not super surprising. Geelong dominated the first half of the season then limped into finals. Aging list caught up with them. Able to play at a very high level for part of a season but then the grind of the long AFL season eventually becomes too much. Remind me of North a few years back when they started off incredibly well (a bit more talented though) but then struggled).

Brisbane honestly fluked their H&A position. Nothing against Brisbane but they had a golden run of injuries and fixture not to mention doing super well in getting over the line in close games. Wasn't surprised they got found out against the better teams in finals given their youth and inexperience. Not that they were a bad team but I think with a more normal run of injuries and a more challenging draw they would have lost a few more games.

Both teams probably were more like 4-6th type quality but it just worked out they finished 1 and 2 in H&A.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Spare me. We played less games at the MCG than Collingwood this season. Amazes me the simpleton argument you are presenting just because a draw doesn’t specifically read H,A,H,A etc etc. It has to be viewed in totality.
How did our D graders go against your star studded list? Yeah, i saw your pathetic commentary. But well done on touching up our VFL team in R12. I was proven correct on the result once you come up against our AFL team.
Comparing your run with the absolute joke that is Collingwoods fixture doesn't excuse the fact you got handed a stellar run into finals that every other club would dream of.

It was viewed in totality. Most people at the start of the season said that you would be a lock for top spot based on the last 10 weeks of the season. What no one didn't account for is that you actually had injuries for once, and your depth dropped more matches than you would have expected.

But at the end of the day, you got kissed on the dick with your fixture and so did Collingwood. They are actually the worse team to compare fixtures with because they are severely looked after. Its funny how only the hardcore Tigers defend this, every other supporter and the rational Tigers fans accept what hand you got this year in regards to the draw.

As for coming up against your AFL team, Geelong we were up and it took some amazing work from Nicholls in the second, with some average shots at goal, to stop the HT margin from being about 40 points. We ran out of legs and your team won. Your team took its chances, mine didn't.

Its still irrelevant to the fact your team was given a dream run into finals. Bye. St Kilda at Marvel. Gold Coast at Metricon.

You had 2 back to back away games early which seems to be what you people hang your hats on. But a lot of teams had that. What a lot of teams didn't get that Richmond did was sets of back to back home games, and then "away games" against MCG tenants, followed by 3 home games to round out the season.

BuT wE hAd A hArD dRaW eArLy.

Spare me.

Comparing your run with the absolute joke that is Collingwoods fixture doesn't excuse the fact you got handed a stellar run into finals that every other club would dream of.

It was viewed in totality. Most people at the start of the season said that you would be a lock for top spot based on the last 10 weeks of the season. What no one didn't account for is that you actually had injuries for once, and your depth dropped more matches than you would have expected.

But at the end of the day, you got kissed on the dick with your fixture and so did Collingwood. They are actually the worse team to compare fixtures with because they are severely looked after. Its funny how only the hardcore Tigers defend this, every other supporter and the rational Tigers fans accept what hand you got this year in regards to the draw.

As for coming up against your AFL team, Geelong we were up and it took some amazing work from Nicholls in the second, with some average shots at goal, to stop the HT margin from being about 40 points. We ran out of legs and your team won. Your team took its chances, mine didn't.

Its still irrelevant to the fact your team was given a dream run into finals. Bye. St Kilda at Marvel. Gold Coast at Metricon.

You had 2 back to back away games early which seems to be what you people hang your hats on. But a lot of teams had that. What a lot of teams didn't get that Richmond did was sets of back to back home games, and then "away games" against MCG tenants, followed by 3 home games to round out the season.

BuT wE hAd A hArD dRaW eArLy.

Spare me.

Spare me. Where was this commentary back in November when the draw come out?
And i wish we had a boutique, unique stadium to give us an inflated win loss ratio.
And your talking depth? Even at our worst our VFL team was top of the ladder while we got to the break 7-6. That included 3 games at Marvel and 5 interstate trips. We couldn’t of done much more and i doubt any other team in the league could of achieved that.
And maybe we were a lock because we have won more games than any other team in the past 3 seasons? And the past 2 we had won a flag then backed it up finishing top of the ladder and making a prelim?
And you lost on Saturday to a superior team. Simple as that. Umpires didn’t cost you. In fact we had Dusty hobbling 5 minutes into the first quarter, Cotch copped a knock in the first half, Graham with one arm in the second half and Broad knocked out. In point of fact, if we didn’t cop those injuries we would of belted you by more.
And on the last 7, you realise 2 were MCG tennants and Brisbane and WCE requested those games at the G?
Have a nap and lie down champ. Sleep it off. You can’t win this argument.

I had them just missing the 8 this year but definitely on the rise. I think we will see a correction in 2020 that puts them in 5th-9th spot. A home elim final or better should be par for them next year; aka 6th and above.

I had them just missing the 8 this year but definitely on the rise. I think we will see a correction in 2020 that puts them in 5th-9th spot. A home elim final or better should be par for them next year; aka 6th and above.

I reckon they are a 7-10 team. But, they are coming along nicely and will only get better.

Back