Roast Geelong can't develop young players

Remove this Banner Ad

Good thread

Given the picks they have they get enough young talent in, but struggle to grow it.

You'll hear that promising players like Constable and Narkle and Clark aren't given enough of a go. Then you'll hear they haven't earnt it due to lack of progress regarding fitness or defensive efforts.

So if they aren't putting in that effort, it's their fault they don't get games, right?

Maybe. But maybe the club and the way they train and are coached is not conducive to these young guys getting the best out of themselves?

Good thread

Given the picks they have they get enough young talent in, but struggle to grow it.

You'll hear that promising players like Constable and Narkle and Clark aren't given enough of a go. Then you'll hear they haven't earnt it due to lack of progress regarding fitness or defensive efforts.

So if they aren't putting in that effort, it's their fault they don't get games, right?

Maybe. But maybe the club and the way they train and are coached is not conducive to these young guys getting the best out of themselves?

Defenders of Scott will trumpet that every young player has to earn their spot through VFL form - "knock the door down" is a common phrase. It's nice in theory. In reality we have senior players that never did it, and never had to do it. So it's hypocritical, selective garbage. Ratugolea never at any point dominated in the VFL. Blicavs never even played VFL because Scott had some insane fetish that has seen him cemented in the senior team for 10 years even though he's rubbish (watch literally any final for evidence of this). Supporters couldn't wait to get rid of Clark (with a whopping 29 senior games to his credit), and the crosshairs are now on Narkle.

Too many games are denied to young players in that critical first few years of development. They won't all make it (and in case you missed it, drafting is not guaranteed). But I can think of a few players we threw into the fire and left there and they turned out pretty good. Like most of our premiership team. But apparently we can't do that now.

Defenders of Scott will trumpet that every young player has to earn their spot through VFL form - "knock the door down" is a common phrase. It's nice in theory. In reality we have senior players that never did it, and never had to do it. So it's hypocritical, selective garbage. Ratugolea never at any point dominated in the VFL. Blicavs never even played VFL because Scott had some insane fetish that has seen him cemented in the senior team for 10 years even though he's rubbish (watch literally any final for evidence of this). Supporters couldn't wait to get rid of Clark (with a whopping 29 senior games to his credit), and the crosshairs are now on Narkle.

Too many games are denied to young players in that critical first few years of development. They won't all make it (and in case you missed it, drafting is not guaranteed). But I can think of a few players we threw into the fire and left there and they turned out pretty good. Like most of our premiership team. But apparently we can't do that now.

It isn’t going to actually destroy your life force to talk objectively you realise

It isn’t going to actually destroy your life force to talk objectively you realise

Objectively tell me how Ratugolea gets a game, or point out where he was dominating the VFL and "knocking the door down". Objectively tell me how Higgins gets picked ahead of any young midfielder with any semi-decent performances (which would include Narkle and Stephens right now)

Objectively tell me how Ratugolea gets a game, or point out where he was dominating the VFL and "knocking the door down". Objectively tell me how Higgins gets picked ahead of any young midfielder with any semi-decent performances (which would include Narkle and Stephens right now)

Objectively tell me how Blicavs is s**t
Ratugolea I don’t personally rate so I don’t agree with him getting regular games. Higgins this year I don’t either. I had no problem with them using him last year. Take the blinkers off and try and give an assessment based on reality on not made entirely out of bias

2012: Thurlow
2013: Lang, Jansen.
2014: Cockatoo
2015: N/A
2016: Parfitt, Stewart
2017: Fogarty, Kelly, Constable
2018: Clark
2019: Stephens, De Koning
2020: Holmes, Neale
2021: Conway, Knevitt, Willis
At this stage your 2019 picks look promising. I'd have SDK at the Bulldogs in a heartbeat.

Objectively tell me how Blicavs is s**t
Ratugolea I don’t personally rate so I don’t agree with him getting regular games. Higgins this year I don’t either. I had no problem with them using him last year. Take the blinkers off and try and give an assessment based on reality on not made entirely out of bias

He fails in every finals series. Only Rohan is worse. Look up BOG in every final we lose and there's a good chance it's his direct opponent. Has failed as a winger, as a ruckman, and as a defender.

He's s**t.

He fails in every finals series. Only Rohan is worse. Look up BOG in every final we lose and there's a good chance it's his direct opponent. Has failed as a winger, as a ruckman, and as a defender.

He's s**t.
We'll gladly take him off your hands

He's s**t.

Except he’s not, is he. That’s your exaggerated ‘this is my view and I’ll
Hold it no matter what’ slant on it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Close, Holmes and Stengle have done enough to keep their spots, interesting to see what happens when Rohan is fit. Dahlhaus relegated to sub at least.

I wonder if Stephens gets a gig ahead of Higgins at some stage too.

They'll be the interesting calls. No one thinks it's bad that Hawkins is playing and is old, it's not the old that is the issue, it's being s**t and old. You'd think the likes of Close and Holmes are going to be better than their 30ish counterparts who have no room for improvement.

Close, Holmes and Stengle have done enough to keep their spots, interesting to see what happens when Rohan is fit. Dahlhaus relegated to sub at least.

I wonder if Stephens gets a gig ahead of Higgins at some stage too.

They'll be the interesting calls. No one thinks it's bad that Hawkins is playing and is old, it's not the old that is the issue, it's being s**t and old. You'd think the likes of Close and Holmes are going to be better than their 30ish counterparts who have no room for improvement.

Dalhaus out was good, but let's see how long it lasts. Higgins out is the next step, Higgins has been terrible for us, we paid too much for him as well. The sooner he is replaced by a younger player the better. But at least Holmes is in the team and doing well and SDK is in the team.

Dalhaus out was good, but let's see how long it lasts. Higgins out is the next step, Higgins has been terrible for us, we paid too much for him as well. The sooner he is replaced by a younger player the better. But at least Holmes is in the team and doing well and SDK is in the team.

We gave up pick 30. Caleb Poulter. Looking at everyone that went after that, there wasn’t a lot of immediately obvious quality that we missed out on. Higgins hasn’t been good by any stretch but I don’t think you could say unequivicolly that we gave up too much for him at this stage

We gave up pick 30. Caleb Poulter. Looking at everyone that went after that, there wasn’t a lot of immediately obvious quality that we missed out on. Higgins hasn’t been good by any stretch but I don’t think you could say unequivicolly that we gave up too much for him at this stage

Even if we signed Higgins for free we gave up too much in salary cap space. He has been poor and consistently so. And also he prevents someone else getting experience at AFL level by being in the team. As you may guess I am not a fan :moustache:

Max Holmes and Sam de Koning are progressing nicely. Both played pretty well against the Pies.
Jhye Clark will be the best of our young crop.
We're currently going through a mini rebuild and our future looks bright.
Opposition supporters hoping we'll spend years down the bottom like Hawthorn, are going to be disappointed when we bounce back next year.

Jhye Clark will be the best of our young crop.
We're currently going through a mini rebuild and our future looks bright.
Opposition supporters hoping we'll spend years down the bottom like Hawthorn, are going to be disappointed when we bounce back next year.

Clark has played 1 quarter of AFL footy. You cannot make that call yet.

Bruhn, Knevitt, Holmes, Neale, Conway, De Koning and Henry have a lot of ground to make up to become the next elite young group to take the Cats forward.

A lot of similarities to Hawthorn around 2019/2020.
Will be interesting to see if Geelong can reverse the trend.

Clark has played 1 quarter of AFL footy. You cannot make that call yet.

Bruhn, Knevitt, Holmes, Neale, Conway, De Koning and Henry have a lot of ground to make up to become the next elite young group to take the Cats forward.

A lot of similarities to Hawthorn around 2019/2020.
Will be interesting to see if Geelong can reverse the trend.
Plenty of exciting youth coming through and we'll add more in the draft, trade and free agency period.

Plenty of exciting youth coming through and we'll add more in the draft, trade and free agency period.

You should probably name them and give examples as to why they are exciting and will prevent you from bottoming out.

The majority of AFL fans see it differently.

Such as ??
Darcy Parish isn't going to make Geelong contenders again
Were you saying similar this time in 2015 regarding Dangerfield not making us a contender again?
I doubt Parish is coming home anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back