Prediction Geelong Cats 2016 Predictions!

Where will we finish on the Ladder in 2016?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Added a few new questions/predictions after the draft people may feel free to answer :)

Will we make Finals in 2016? Yeppers

Who will retire end of next year? Domsy, Bartel and Mackie

Who could/will be traded end of next year? No trades but Billie could be delisted if he doesn't come on. Likewise GHS.

Who will win our B&F for 2016? Mitch Duncan

Who will be our most improved youngster in 2016? NAKIA!!

Which of our new FREE AGENCY/TRADE recruits will improve/impact us the most? Smith. Danger will be as expected, a Champion, but Smith will provide the biggest impact/change.

Will Chris Scott be coaching Geelong at the end of 2016? Yes.

What will the Ruck setup be? Smith and Stanley. Smith as ruck most of the time with Stanley swinging between around the ground ruck and forward.

Who do you think will surprise us most? Murdoch. Will come on in 2016.

Which of our new draftees will make the biggest impact in 2016? BUZZA! Won't play AFL though.

Where do we expect our new draftees to play on the ground in the VFL next year (besides Buzza)? Midfield? No idea really.

How many of our new draftees do you expect to see make their debut in the seniors in 2016? None.

Which Cat will get the most votes in the 2016 Brownlow? Danger, who will win it.

Best/Most Consistent Defender in 2016? Harry back to vintage form. Also Kolo to really blow us all away.

Best/Most Consistent Midfielder in 2016? Duh-Duh-duh-duh-DANGERFIELD!!!

Best/Most Consistent Forward in 2016? Tommy. Loses some bulk and becomes the good old tommy we know.

How good was Joel Corey then?

Remember he tagged Ryan O'Keefe. Rendered him null and void.

We had some terrific players in 2008 and, as I said, this definitely had an effect on Bartel's voting. They included Ablett, Corey, Selwood, Johnson, Bartel and Ling, all stealing votes from each other. It makes Ablett's 3rd placing even more meritorious.

Poll:

Was Josh Hunt our worst big game player?

Nick Davis in '05, Stewie Dew in '08, General Performance in '13.

Andrew Wills was always putrid. He always displayed such quality in games that meant very little but come finals time, he just never did anything at all.
Mensch was another who often went hiding. Such a big unit too but never tried to impose himself when the contest began to heat up.

Having said that, everyone will jump down my throat but Hawkins has been very underwhelming after the 2011 grand final.
In the prime of his life: 3 marks/0 goals, 3 marks/2 goals, 4 marks/1 goal, 2 marks/1 goal, quiet throughout the first three quarters of the 2014 preliminary final before exploding in the final ten minutes kicking 3 goals.
He probably needs to produce one of those big time games if we make it again next year.

Having said that, everyone will jump down my throat but Hawkins has been very underwhelming after the 2011 grand final.
In the prime of his life: 3 marks/0 goals, 3 marks/2 goals, 4 marks/1 goal, 2 marks/1 goal, quiet throughout the first three quarters of the 2014 preliminary final before exploding in the final ten minutes kicking 3 goals.
He probably needs to produce one of those big time games if we make it again next year.

Not at all, but to be fair Bob, we haven't had any players stand up in finals since then.

Not at all, but to be fair Bob, we haven't had any players stand up in finals since then.

Selwood and Bartel have battled valiantly. Selwood gets a bad rap but he's the first one tagged out of the game and still kicked goals while gathering 20+ disposals.
Your right though, just been very little fight as a collective unit unfortunately. Like the team of the 80's & 90's, left to the same usual suspects.

We know that changes with Dangerfield aboard but he and Selwood alone won't make any difference if the rest can't fire up and use past losses (in finals) as some form of motivation.
Scott needs to sit them together before each game and replay the 2013 preliminary final over and over again. Surely that would fire em up.

Andrew Wills was always putrid. He always displayed such quality in games that meant very little but come finals time, he just never did anything at all.
Mensch was another who often went hiding. Such a big unit too but never tried to impose himself when the contest began to heat up.

Four finals since 2011. One really good one where he kicked 5 and nearly won us the game (he was good early with limited opportunity and not just the last 15 minutes although that last 15 minutes was Gary ablett esque in dominance). 2013 he basically had a broken back. 2012 against Freo and the 2014 Hawks game were stinkers though. All the dropped marks against Lake was a bit of a choke. Overall he has been a pretty good finals player though. Was in the bests in all three finals in 2011 and was close to bog in the 2009 prelim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will we make Finals in 2016? Yes.
Who will retire end of next year? Bartel, Enright, and Lonergan.
Who could/will be traded end of next year? At this stage only Kersten. He's the one player I can easily see getting starved of games.
Who will win our B&F for 2016? Mitch Duncan.
Who will be our most improved youngster in 2016? Darcy Lang.
Which of our new FREE AGENCY/TRADE recruits will improve/impact us the most? Patrick Dangerfield.
Which of our new DRAFT recruits will improve/impact us the most? None. At least not in 2016.
What will the Ruck setup be? Smith and Stanley to start; it will end with someone and Blicavs.
Who do you think will surprise us most? It all depends on opportunities. I'll go with Lang. Horlin-Smith if he gets put in the centre square and left there.
Which of our new draftees will make the biggest impact in 2016? None.
How many of our new draftees do you expect to see make their debut in the seniors in 2016? None.
Which Cat will get the most votes in the 2016 Brownlow? Dangerfield.
Best/Most Consistent Defender in 2016? Harry Taylor.
Best/Most Consistent Midfielder in 2016? Duncan or Dangerfield.
Best/Most Consistent Forward in 2016? Tom Hawkins.

Who could/will be traded end of next year? At this stage only Kersten. He's the one player I can easily see getting starved of games.
Which of our new FREE AGENCY/TRADE recruits will improve/impact us the most? Patrick Dangerfield.
Which of our new DRAFT recruits will improve/impact us the most? None. At least not in 2016.
What will the Ruck setup be? Smith and Stanley to start; it will end with someone and Blicavs.
Who do you think will surprise us most? It all depends on opportunities. I'll go with Lang. Horlin-Smith if he gets put in the centre square and left there.

Good call on Duncan, if he can produce consistently that few week period of elite footy this year he could be a gun of the comp and likely give us the best 3 man midfield aswell.
He certainly has all the tools.

Some interesting calls. Based off his 2015 B&F Duncan might slip under the radar next year.

I think one Draftee may play upto a handful of games in Menegola.

Will we make Finals in 2016?
Resounding yes; Top 4 in my opinion.

Who will retire end of next year?
Enright, Bartel, Clark, possibly Vardy, Cowan or Menzel if they re-injure themselves. Lonergan and Mackie should go for one more round unless they're pushed out of the side.

Who could/will be traded end of next year?
I think we'll be relatively safe next year.

Who will win our B&F for 2016?
PFD, if not him then Sels would be back at his best so him.

Who will be our most improved youngster in 2016?
Nakia Cockatoo

Which of our new FREE AGENCY/TRADE recruits will improve/impact us the most?
PFD or Zac Smith. The impact that a solid ruck combo can have on a team is understated

Will Chris Scott be coaching Geelong at the end of 2016?
Yes, depending on the outcome of 2016 which I think will be positive.

What will the Ruck setup be?
Smith/Stanley and Blicavs

Who do you think will surprise us most?
Jackson Thurlow will lift his game to a new level

Which of our new draftees will make the biggest impact in 2016?
Sam Menegola

Where do we expect our new draftees to play on the ground in the VFL next year (besides Buzza)?

Gardner - defence
Menegola - mid
Hayball - mid/forward
Cornell - forward
Ruggles - defence
Parsons - mid/defence

How many of our new draftees do you expect to see make their debut in the seniors in 2016?
2, Menegola and Buzza

Which Cat will get the most votes in the 2016 Brownlow?
PFD

Best/Most Consistent Defender in 2016?
Harry Taylor

Best/Most Consistent Midfielder in 2016?
PFD

Best/Most Consistent Forward in 2016?
Can't go past Tomma to come out firing after a mediocre year

I think Blicav's will add considerable size and weight into the midfield group with the 'Star Class' Duncan and big Menegola as backup we'll have enough size to go with the Freo's of the league.
Danger and Sels won't be alone, it will be different.
My worry is Chris Scott not swinging moves quick enough when things do go wrong.

Catgirl,....I think we'd all love to see Buzza play a senior game, it's been a long time coming us unearthing a big young forward, would lift the club!
He's proven to be a charismatic character already, the board would go meltdown.

Last edited:
I think Menegola is a big chance to get games...apart from that, Partridge looks like he is pretty close to the mark.

I just think if the squad is relatively fit, there will be at least 30 players that will be reasonable chances of selection. Players that are well regarded on here will be playing VFL. I don't see how first year players taken very late in the draft are going to bypass them, unless there are a ton of injuries.

I have not really seen Menegola play too much other than some highlights. Wondering is he can make his spot, or at least push for one, based on becoming a bit of the enforcer type we have been lacking ( think Rooke). I guess maybe Scooter has that shot first but seeing talk of Menegola being hard, all dat runner with defensive side made me consider it.

Again, totally dependent on performances once we get going.

Go Catters

I have not really seen Menegola play too much other than some highlights. Wondering is he can make his spot, or at least push for one, based on becoming a bit of the enforcer type we have been lacking ( think Rooke). I guess maybe Scooter has that shot first but seeing talk of Menegola being hard, all dat runner with defensive side made me consider it.

Again, totally dependent on performances once we get going.

Go Catters

The big question for Menegola is: how much did he improve in the WAFL last year, given that in the previous 4 years he couldn't even get off the rookie list?
You would think he's starting behind at least 30 other possible players at this stage.

The big question for Menegola is: how much did he improve in the WAFL last year, given that in the previous 4 years he couldn't even get off the rookie list?
You would think he's starting behind at least 30 other possible players at this stage.

Yeah! but two clubs apart from injuries and being on super lists. He's come out of the shell he was in, I think we'll see another player from what he was back then.
I'm backing he'll turn heads and maybe knock a few off.

Last edited:
Like the team of the 80's & 90's, left to the same usual suspects.
That team of the 80s/90s was great in finals, just crap in GF's. Our team since 2011 has been pathetic in finals, even in the 2013 prelim (which we should've lost by 6/7 goals Hawthorn had 12 scoring shots to 2 in the last quarter) we were completely outplayed but escaped a belting due to Hawthorns bad kicking on goal.

Back